Feargal Sharkey and the water companies / environment

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

its same with electric and gas, the uk does nothing to help people or safe guard them from stupid price increases. it should unlawful to make such profits, whilst people struggle to have a liing budget. i really hope one political party decides to clamp down on this, it wont be the tories.

• Like 10

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

The standing charge is so unfair. It allows companies to bake in and hide price increases.  Why nobody has looked at this yet is beyond me.... well it's not - these companies support a lot of MPs.

• Like 9

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Yeah, there are a lot of shady deals which enable MPs to turn a blind eye to things. This current gov. - they won't want to make life any fairer they rule in this manner and somehow still get people voting. The price is already much higher than it used to, maybe if they reinvested from time to time things wouldn't be in such a dire need to be repaired and therefore less costly.

Then again, they probably also claim support too which will come from our taxes.

• Like 10

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

I’m not surprised, it seems like everywhere you look, companies are trying to make a quick buck and getting away with what I consider to be overpricing. These businesses seem to have no qualms about unfairly hiking their prices.

• Like 8

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

Lovely, talk about living in comfort with endless riches. Water bills are going up? What’s next?

• Like 6

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Until someone confronts them and other companies, the prices will keep rising. It’s not really fair business because it’s not like you can choose a different company. They should be compelled to use their profits to repair their own infrastructure.

• Like 6

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,742
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

This government could easily bring in a law to say any dividend payments need to be approved by say the Secretary of State first, before being actioned. Hey, but that would be seen as interfering with free market forces. I am so angry with the water and other utility companies, where the poorest in society suffer the most :veryangry:

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

Has anyone watched the BBC today? The Panorama program highlighted the number of times breaches to our rivers, lakes, and water have been caused by failures in waste disposal through the water network. They do try to control themselves and have been covering up incidents. It makes you wonder how widespread it is.

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

Most companies care more about their profits and board. They don’t even care about their workers, so why would they care about us? Feargal Sharkey is a typical Dickensian character.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

America is far from perfect, but one thing the UK doesn't have is streams, lakes, and rivers where you can swim without bacteria build-ups. This isn't all down to the water companies, but the amount you read about leaks and dumping happening back across the pond makes me angry. As for water prices, they should use their own profits.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Surprisingly my MP (Tory) isn't on that list.  He also stood up to Johnson and was the first to get his letter of no confidence in - Roger Gale.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  686
  • Days Won:  0

I’m surprised that no one has initiated a petition for this. If they have, then I’m equally surprised that I haven’t come across it. While it’s something that should be done, few people seem to genuinely care. They might complain about it, but when it comes to taking action, there’s usually silence.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

The trouble with all of this is that the Government have convinced themselves that the Rwanda Bill and immigration is the most important thing on voters minds and it has become a hill most of them are prepared to die on.  The Uxbridge byelection showed to them, wrongly in my view, that people don't care about the environment.  Put these together and you get a government that is so embroiled in fighting itself that it has neither the time or the energy to attend to the real issues.  

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

Privatisation was a disaster and should be reversed ASAP. More regulation is all well and good, but households will end up footing the cost. It's time this artifical market ended. 

This is good stuff from Mr Sharkey. I'm not surprised he's angry - apparently he gets water leaks right through the night. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

Privatisation was a disaster and should be reversed ASAP. More regulation is all well and good, but households will end up footing the cost. It's time this artifical market ended. 

This is good stuff from Mr Sharkey. I'm not surprised he's angry - apparently he gets water leaks right through the night. 

If they were nationalised then the cost of sorting out the mess would just be passed to us through taxes.  They should be made to rectify the problems from the amounts they hand out in dividends and make in profits (without price rises).... and then they should be nationalised.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  493
  • Days Won:  1

At times when the cost of living rises, companies ought to be compelled to use their earnings to repair infrastructure. However, the Tories prefer to burden the populace with financial constraints, pessimism, and hardships that serve their agenda while they are in power.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  367
  • Days Won:  0

Nothing will be done, the Tories talked about us banding together and doing whatever it takes to get through this, but it’s us who are paying for everything and becoming poorer. Meanwhile, the water, gas and electric companies can make massive profits. I sympathise with elderly people who can’t afford to keep warm, can’t afford electricity and now will have to pay higher council fees and water rates.

• 1 month later...