• 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Blooming Eck, they’ve got a revolving door at Forest Green Rovers. :joker:

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I saw the comments he'd made a few days ago and meant to make a thread about them. When a manager throws individual players under the bus in post-match interviews, it's an act of desperation and the writing is on the wall. And that was just six games in!

It's probably a blessing in disguise for FGR as they were messing about with a celebrity manager while safety got further and further away, a bit like us with Harry Kewell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67995450

• Like 11

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428

Supporter+

I think criticism of players should remain in the dressing room not discussed in post match interviews no matter how angry he was, it’s the quickest way to lose the dressing room.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  735
  • Days Won:  3

The appointment was strange from the start, it looked like a desperate move. Forest Green are inviting instability with their actions this season. The owner should let someone else manage the club because he’s not handling it well.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  895
  • Days Won:  11

If you want to hear a rant, have a listen at this....

• Haha 3

One manager who laid into his players was Giovanni Trapattoni when he was Bayern manager. This outburst features very broken German (with the grammar replicated in the English subtitles). He starts banging the table after about 1.30.

Unlike Deeney, he didn't get the sack - they won the title! 

• Haha 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I have seen pictures of comments supposedly made by Troy Deeney, he's never a manager, not in a million years but if it's true about some of the things he said he could become a stand-up comedian.

Does this mean he no longer plays for Forest Green Rovers?

Wouldn't it be embarrassing and awkward if he returned to playing? Failed as a manager, thrived on a squad that played to his strengths. An average player, nothing remarkable. He should look at his own game and off-the-pitch antics before judging others.

• Like 10

To be fair to him @Chris he scored more goals for Watford than Les Bradd scored for us. He was their talisman for years. I don't think his ability as a player is in question, but not every player is cut out to be a good manager.

Sometimes you need to bite your lip if you want to inspire loyalty and trust in your players. Players need to channel their passion and emotion to the right place, and the manager should be an example. Deeney walked into a really difficult situation that many experienced managers would have struggled with, but he blew it. What a plank.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

49 minutes ago, Chris said:

I have seen pictures of comments supposedly made by Troy Deeney, he's never a manager, not in a million years but if it's true about some of the things he said he could become a stand-up comedian.

Does this mean he no longer plays for Forest Green Rovers?

Wouldn't it be embarrassing and awkward if he returned to playing? Failed as a manager, thrived on a squad that played to his strengths. An average player, nothing remarkable. He should look at his own game and off-the-pitch antics before judging others.

It's indeed a unique situation with Troy Deeney. His time at Watford was marked by his goal-scoring prowess, but his stint as a manager at Forest Green Rovers seems to have been less successful. However, it's important to remember that football is unpredictable and players often bounce back in surprising ways. 

Regarding his comments, they've certainly stirred up a conversation. But as you rightly pointed out, self-reflection is crucial before passing judgement on others. As for whether he still plays for Forest Green Rovers, I'm not certain.

• Like 8

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Troy Deeney’s appointment was a joke, but he should have been given time. His comments show he doesn’t understand Forest Green. When Manchester United was linked with him, he could have been exposed just like he’s done with their players. Good player, bad attitude.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

he changed their game against us and i thought they played well but as a manager you cant call the players and expect their morale to lift especially when they are not performing that well. very poor decision to hire troy deeney in the first place.

they remind me of us under the trews and hardy. :( 

• Like 7

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  184

Whatever’s happening at Forest Green Rovers, it’s a mess. I don’t get why they would appoint Troy Deeney. It’s disappointing that he was sacked so soon.

• Like 6

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171

If you watch videos that he's appeared in, he can seem like a cocky person and quite arrogant. It depends on the YouTube video, as he does seem down to earth at times. It might be his mood, but his reputation is not good.

• Like 5

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

It's not the greatest way to get your players on your side and performing to their maximum.Hopefully it's a lesson learned by Mr.Deeney

• Like 3

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Troy Deeney is a thug and fool. Good player, but his skill stops with his feet and ends there too. His brain seems short of oxygen, enough gets through to keep him alive but he doesn’t have much between his ears.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428

Supporter+
On 19/01/2024 at 22:40, CliftonMagpie said:

Troy Deeney is a thug and fool. Good player, but his skill stops with his feet and ends there too. His brain seems short of oxygen, enough gets through to keep him alive but he doesn’t have much between his ears.

Now come on @CliftonMagpie don’t beat about the bush what do you really think. :rollonfloorlaughing:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

FGR's downfall started over 12 months ago. They were victims of their own success. When they got promoted from League 2, Rob Edwards left for Watford and part of the spine of their promotion winning side left as well. Ebou Adams, Kane Wilson and Nicky Cadden all left, so Ian Burchnall was basically thrown in at the deep end, at a level he'd not managed at before, at a club that hadn't been at League 1 level before. 

They didn't recruit well enough in the summer of 2022 and despite Burchnall trying to keep them competitive, FGR as a club, were just out of their depth at League 1 level. Showing how difficult it was, Duncan Ferguson only won 1 of his 18 league games in charge, against a Sheffield Wednesday side, who were doing their best to try and not get promoted. FGR's defence was horrific and conceded 89 goals, only scoring 31 as well.

Sometimes when a club has such a disastrous League 1 relegation, that can carry over into next season. It's happened to Stockport, Chesterfield and Southend, Sometimes that process can take a few seasons but eventually catch up to teams. This has happened to Oldham, Rochdale and Yeovil. In the summer of 2023, they lost players who will have been good enough for this level to help them at least stabilise. Bailly Cargill, Corey O'Keeffe, Regan Hendry, Luke McGee, Ben Stevenson, Udoka Godwin-Malife and Armani Little.

It also comes from the top. Dale Vince has always been known to have an ego, ever since FGR stepped foot in the football league. The guy loves the media attention. Just look at his Twitter. The current situation gives off Notts-Alan Hardy vibes (not in that way) of an egotistical owner and a shambles of a football club, due to the carelessness in which it is being looked after.

The appointment of Troy Deeney gives Vince what he wants. A big name in the dugout and the media attention to go with it (see Notts-Harry Kewell vibes). Said manager calls out players - he gets sacked - 3rd manager of the season already needed. Deeney was literally a pundit for the QPR-Watford game, the day after his ran, after they lost 2-0 to Harrogate. They've actually recruited well this January so far, but when it's not settled at the top, them problems make their way downwards and onto the pitch. They now have a big squad, no manager and an owner, who at the moment, is too busy pushing his political and personal views, rather than caring for a football club, which is heading for back-to-back relegations.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,782
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Good analysis from @ARLukomski. FGR still probably have the financial muscle to have recruited good players. Is this the season that the "newer" EFL teams like Sutton, FGR, Fleetwood start falling back?

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  905
  • Days Won:  3

There’s something about him that I simply don’t find appealing. I recall watching him play for Walsall, where he was elbowing players everywhere. I was surprised that he progressed in his career because he seemed like a loose cannon. When he signed for Watford, I thought he had improved his attitude. It was encouraging to see him change. However, when you join a League Two team and get the opportunity to manage them, criticising the players in the way he did shows a level of immaturity. It’s naïve of him to think otherwise.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

He's done an interview online, I saw a clip of it where he was laughing and talking about how he felt used. I don't know the full story, but he seems less clued in than someone should be if they want to be a manager.

• Like 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,782
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/troy-deeney-offers-forest-green-31932641

"Troy Deeney says offers are already "rolling in" days after Forest Green sacking"   🫢