Midfielder Charlie Colkett to Notts

Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Charlie Colkett has joined Notts on loan until the end of the season.

The 27-year-old arrives from Crewe Alexandra, bolstering Notts's central midfield options for the remainder of the campaign.

I think this signing till the end of the season is a good move by Notts, Charlie is a left footed central midfielder that has plenty of experience playing in higher leagues. He Captained Chelsea's successful youth team as a youngster. He's also played in Europe too. His signing gives Stuart Maynard more options in Midfield and increases the competition for places too.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Supporter+

First interview for Charlie Colkett. after his loan transfer to Notts.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  164
  • Days Won:  2

I respect Notts and hope the new signing works out, but I’d advise not to be too hopeful.

He’s a bit of a mixed bag. His stint at Shrewsbury isn’t remembered well and we ended his loan. He only played one league game and a few cup matches, which speaks volumes about his impact. We were optimistic when he joined as he clearly has talent, but it soon became clear that he’s idle, lacks drive and wasn’t that good. His injury record is a concern, even Jack Wilshere is less injury-prone.

If you can motivate him and keep him fit, he could be useful.

Otherwise, he’ll likely spend most of his time on the bench. I’d expect him to fall into that category. Don’t be misled by his Chelsea footage. It’s very misleading. Apologies to the Pie fans.

• Like 9

• liampie featured this topic

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

i am more than happy to give him a chance as i think the club sees him similar to dan crowley, but a more fitting replacement for matt palmer. when i read that we had signed him, i automatically thought he would be more a bench player if he was not do well off the bat. its one of those signings you cant say much about until you see them play.

thanks for your insight @shrewswill.

• Like 8

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  164
  • Days Won:  2

To give more context, we were in dire need of a midfielder who could handle pressure and help create opportunities. We weren’t performing well in League One, ending the season in 18th place.

He came from Chelsea, so he might have wondered why he should put in effort at this level.

I hope his stint at Ostersund has helped him improve, but don’t expect him to be like Matt Palmer. From our recent games, I’d say Palmer is an excellent hard worker, a quality that Charlie Colkett didn’t display during his loan spell. That’s one of the reasons why we ended his loan.

• Like 6

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  15

Considering his age and where he’s come from on loan, it seems to me that he’s more of a backup than a starter. I’d prefer to give Scott Robertson more time to adjust, with Charlie Colkett stepping in when necessary. This could help him settle in, but if he’s really injury-prone, it would be worrying to use him as a substitute, especially if we’ve used up all our options. It’s not the most exciting signing, but he deserves a fair chance.

• Like 5

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

He might suit our system better than at his previous clubs. We hope that being part of a team aiming for promotion will motivate him. There’s no real risk with injury, as we can return him if it occurs. Ideally, we would have considered this and concluded that he can offer more than the signing implies. Let’s see how he performs, he might fit in well.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Supporter+

I agree @CliftonMagpie. We have to trust the Notts recruiters. I'm sure Stuart has had input too and advised what he wants. A left footed central midfielder.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

I’ll admit it is hard to get excited about a player who’s only played 14 minutes of league football this season. And I find it strange a potential promotion rival would want to strengthen us, they either think he won’t or are just happy for another club to pay his wages.

Interesting that he’s played under IB at Otsersunds and LW at Swindon, I wonder if they’ve given him a good reference… Like with any player I’ll judge him once he’s played for us and I hope he can prove my initial doubts wrong.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

It's not an exciting signing, but we should give him a chance before judging him. His brief stint at Shrewsbury was a few years ago and was followed by a spell in Sweden where he played regularly. The club have likely seen an opportunity to take a low-risk punt on a player they've been tracking for a while.

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Just don’t get it.

Another left footed midfielder to go with Bostock and Robertson, but one that’s made of glass, which isn’t great for a defensive midfielder. I wish him well and hope he turns us into playoff final certs.

Turning into a bit of a poor window now, not one signing that has made us think that they’ll improve the side. Hopefully Warner will be the one, but we won’t know until he’s played.

I’m hoping they all prove me wrong, but personally I would have rather seen two experienced players come in than the four we currently have brought in.

One question has crossed my mind. IF Colkett turns out to be a revelation and gets us to the playoff final, and if we play Crewe at Wembley, will he be allowed to play???

• Like 4

Supporter+
2 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Weird signing if I'm honest

If he gets injured or he doesn't perform he's sent back, so it's a win win for Notts either way 

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  96
  • Days Won:  1

Hopefully he will bring a lot more enthusiasm and energy than he brought to his first Notts interview.

I wish him all the best and hope he will surprise us all.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

12 hours ago, Robbie said:

If he gets injured or he doesn't perform he's sent back, so it's a win win for Notts either way 

If that's in the clause we've signed. Why would Crewe sign that off though? 

Supporter+
50 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

If that's in the clause we've signed. Why would Crewe sign that off though? 

Obviously we don't know what's in the contract cause but I'm sure Notts would have guarantees that if the player is injured long term he would go back to Crewe. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  75
  • Days Won:  6

Seems like a 'try before you buy' to me. We pay his wages for 3 months so it's low risk. If we like what we see - and he likes what he sees - we can bring him in during the summer. An extra pair of midfield legs is helpful so we can rotate a little, some players have had more minutes than I think we'd have planned, given that we expected Matt Palmer to play all of every game.

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It's reasonable to assume that in the event of a significant injury, he would likely go back to Crewe, his parent club. This transfer is probably advantageous for them as it helps cut down on wages, potentially balancing their finances. Meanwhile, Notts County has the opportunity to assess if they can aid Charlie Colkett in reaching his maximum potential. If this is a loan with an option to buy, there's likely a predetermined fee. Notts County would need to activate it, but the concern is avoiding the burden of another injury, that's not a viable scenario.

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,517
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

We are likely stretching the playing budget now, it’s beneficial that we have large crowds and that will greatly assist in being more competitive.

I view the signing of Charlie Colkett as optimistic but more mindful of cover. He has the skill, but seems to fall short of reaching his potential. We have a good track record with not only rehabilitating injured players, but also getting the best out of them. If we can secure a decent ball-passing midfielder, who can stay injury-free and just patch that area until the end of the season.

We can then assess his performances and worry about him not being up to the mark. It’s all up to him, he’s got to impress because we won’t sign him otherwise. Dan Gosling is the perfect example. How many of us thought that was going to be a fantastic signing?

• Like 1

• liampie unfeatured this topic