Match Discussion: League Cup - The Shrews (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,459
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Jatta on

This is so poor from Notts.

Shrewsbury take the lead.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Substitution. Cisse for Cundy 

JATTA!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 7

Supporter+

We are going to penalties.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Notts lose 3:4 on penalties.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

jatta did well to get us back into it and to force penalties, i wont be disappointed with mcgoldricks casual penalty. i think he wanted to calmly place it, making their keeper think he would hit it harder. edwards should not feel down either. its a respectable defeat i feel.

just a shame we did not maintain the lead which we worked so hard for.

• Like 9

Supporter+

In the first half we saw the best performance by Notts under Stuart Maynard, but the second half was a disaster.

Notts really looked the part in the first half and looked so dangerous. Grant and Austin got the goals and we looked lively up front and solid at the back.

But the old sloppiness in defence from last season came back again in the second half with three goals conceded, before a late Jatta equaliser took the game to penalties that Notts subsequently lost.

These head coaches and managers drive me up the wall with their stance to cup games.

It seems Maynard treated this game as no more than a training game. People will say the game doesn't matter but ALL games matter.

Why oh why play Slocombe instead of Bass. Why not play Platt, Scott and Jatta from the start?

These Head coaches just don't treat cup matches seriously.It is so disappointing.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

Shame, at least Jatta took us to pennos; easier to swallow losing on them than throwing away a 2-0 lead through silly mistakes! FA cup this year though, you heard it here first; Notts -v- Man City at wembley ;)

• Like 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

We had so much control after a really good 1st half but we were just far too complacent in that 2nd half. Two of the goals were gifts, put them in the highlight (horror) reel with the others from the last game against Shrewsbury, but our performance was really lacklustre. I don’t know if the players were lured into a false sense of security by just how poor Shrewsbury were 1st half but you’ve got to come out after half-time like it’s 0-0.

Had that been a league game at least we’d have drawn, but you’ve got to say when you’re 2-0 up to go 3-2 down is really poor. Can we not play Shrewsbury for a bit now ta.

• Like 3
  • Love 7

Supporter+

The positives we can take are that we played brilliantly in the first half. Jatta scored from a corner when he came on late in the game. He's our best striker at the moment & I thought Grant did well and scored a goal too.

The other positive is that we demonstrated that we can score goals.

And in the records the match ended 3:3, so it goes down as a draw.

The negatives. We were sloppy in defence in the second half. The substitutions didn't help and disrupted the team this time.

I don't think Slocombe is good enough either.

My advice to Maynard. Play your best eleven every game and we should be ok.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  0

I don’t think there was much wrong with how the team performed in the first half. I think Notts should have kept the Shrewsbury fans on their team’s back more. The changes, while they might not have helped, take time for the players to get up to speed and add more pressure on those already on. Shrewsbury are a League One team, with a level of quality good enough to be decent in that league.

Bowing out on penalties isn’t the worst outcome. Yes, Notts could have won, but the positives outweigh the negatives

• Like 9

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  732
  • Days Won:  3

Oh well, you can’t win every game. I think the fact that Notts did throw the game away completely counts for something. Losing on penalties isn’t the worst way to go out of the League Cup. Resilience was shown to get back into the game after we put ourselves on the wrong foot by allowing Shrewsbury back into the game at 2-2.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  741
  • Days Won:  2

I think the lads will be hurting enough without us adding to it. If some fans moan about it, it puts a cloud over future games and is just uncalled for negativity. I don’t get why some fans are like that. To go 2-0 up is a credit to the team, and to pull it back to 3-3 after going down shows fight from the team. It’s not ideal or perfect, but it’s not worth spoiling the positive opening day we had against a difficult Tranmere.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,770
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I would rather have Stone than Slocombe.  I knew when it came to penalties, Slocombe yet again proved he is no where near the level required of a reserve keeper

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I said at half time that Shrewsbury wouldn’t let us run the show in the second half I had hoped that Maynard would I still that into the players, we’d won nothing at that stage.

We gave away two needless goals one very complacent back pass by Edwards and a mistake by Slocombe for another gift to the Shrews. i was pleased however that we showed the bottle to fight back to take it to penalties.

There are lots of positives to take from this game, the first half performance was excellent we need to take that into the next game.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  8

Game thrown away, no game management whatsoever. Keep saying it but the club need the revenue of a cup run, but we seem to just....oh well.

• Love 3

• Content Count:  618
  • Days Won:  1

It was a game we probably should have done better in, especially being 2-0 up, but I’m not going to complain. We gave a respectable performance against a good League One club. Losing games is normal, and we made it to penalties. The second half wasn’t great, but you have to take it as it comes and learn from it.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  525

You're leading 2-0 at half-time, so I would expect Shrewsbury to come out determined to turn things around. Their manager might have given them a telling-off, or perhaps the frustration from their fans made the point clear. As the home team, I believe they should have fought to get back into the match. Once they scored, the momentum shifted in their favour, but they are still a League One team. Forcing penalties after being down 3-2 may be hard to accept, but it does deserve some recognition.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

I hate this making multiple subs at the same time thing that Notts do, it totally unbalances the side and countless times we put ourselves under pressure. Make two subs maximum at once, give them a few minutes to get into the game and then make another sub. It was a total shift in personnel and formation and no wonder we make mistakes.

Looks like Sam’s time has come, we know he will be released at the end of the season already but it’s looking highly likely we are either going to have to go and get another keeper or remove Stone from the list and make him number 2. I would prefer the former….

• Love 4

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Notts were amazing in the first half. Shrewsbury improved in the 2nd half but they didn't have to work hard for their goals. There was little evidence of game management by Notts. I felt Notts needed to mix it up a bit to keep Shrewsbury guessing. 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  493

I understand the frustration with conceding two goals and then a third, which puts Notts on the back foot, needing a late equaliser even after dominating the first half with a good showing. Jatta coming on and getting the goal needed to go to penalties is a plus. I am glad he has got his first goal; he just needs one in the league now. I am not that disappointed; I think the three changes came at the wrong time. I don’t think Stuart Maynard did it to throw the game; I believe he wanted to give players more minutes on the pitch. It might have made sense to bring on Alex Bass, as Sam Slocombe did seem to struggle with the pressure and how the Notts defence went. It made more sense to consider this.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Supporter+
11 minutes ago, JIMBO said:

I understand the frustration with conceding two goals and then a third, which puts Notts on the back foot, needing a late equaliser even after dominating the first half with a good showing. Jatta coming on and getting the goal needed to go to penalties is a plus. I am glad he has got his first goal; he just needs one in the league now. I am not that disappointed; I think the three changes came at the wrong time. I don’t think Stuart Maynard did it to throw the game; I believe he wanted to give players more minutes on the pitch. It might have made sense to bring on Alex Bass, as Sam Slocombe did seem to struggle with the pressure and how the Notts defence went. It made more sense to consider this.

There is this rule that says they can only bring on substitutes on three occasions plus an opportunity at half time. I think that is the reason we have these multiple substitutions at one time.

• Like 1