Promotion and relegation - time for change?

DangerousSausage

Every season, most Premier League clubs sack their managers out of fear of going down. Yesterday I stumbled across an interesting article on how this can be solved: promote and relegate more teams.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/05/relegate-half-premier-league-excessive-but-merit

Obviously relegating 10 teams would be excessive, but six would be possible. At the moment, struggling top flight clubs are terrified of the drop. So they sack their managers and coaching teams every season. There can't be any question of long-term planning in a climate like that, nor of developing their own young players - experienced, "complete" players from other clubs are the order of the day. Relegating more teams could help take the stigma away from relegation, while it would be easier to win promotion too. Clubs would be more willing to stick with a manager and a plan through relegation as it would no longer be the massive set-back it is today.

What do you all think? And would it be workable further down too?

No, no, no, no, no, NO, NOOOO, NOOOOOOOOOOO, NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Will people stop trying to fix what isn't broken? It's not the league which requires work or amending, it's clubs and the people who govern them.

I'm sick to death of seeing things change, very few amendments make any sense - proposals just keep people looking busy and as for this suggestion. It would lead to more worry about sackings, it would riddle more clubs with financial difficulties - as they will straddled with Premier League wages and besides wouldn't this mean there would be more parashoot payments?

A tad bit excessive? It's ludicrous and bizarre.

Thank god this person has no involvement with decisions made within the FA/Premier League/Football League.

Just now, Elite_pie said:

So you're not keen on it then?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ;)

I'd stop watching the Premier League again, as it wouldn't be long before clueless people decide to expand it into the Football League. Imagine 6 teams going down from League Two, it would ruin clubs and the same issue would expand to the Premier League teams.

Let's spend more in order to survive.

Let's make it harder for teams who already have an uphill battle! i.e Bournemouth

Let's make the gulf for the elite 'big boys' even greater.

Let's prevent another Leicester City style fairy-tale story.

Let's sack our manager because god forbid we are 10th.

It's just plain stupid.

I thought it was an interesting idea, although on measure I'd stick with the status quo. The idea behind it is that, as it is currently hard to get back up after relegation, clubs are currently making short-termist decisions in order to stay up. It's a disincentive to develop and stick with a certain style of play or give young players their chance: once 18th place beckons, it's all thrown overboard and Steve Bruce is appointed instead.

More teams would go down, but more would go up too. But would the thrill of winning promotion be the same if it were easier? Like @notts-joe says, it could backfire. If more teams are threatened by relegation, more clubs could be pushed into making rash decisions, not less. And if more teams yoyo between the divisions, they'll be less able to compete with the elite clubs.

I think it should be four teams going up and down from Premier League down to League Two, then three between League Two and the Conference.

Top three get automatic promotion. Maybe for the sake of PR give the players gold, silver and bronze medals for a "podium finish" in the division. Then fourth down to seventh, two-legged play-off semi-finals and a one-off final at Wembley.

League Two, bottom three get relegated, while in the Conference, top two get automatic promotion and third to sixth, standard playoffs.

I think it's pretty unfair that it's such a closed shop between League Two and Conference. This needs to be opened up more.

Hypothetical look at last season - Sunderland would have been relegated (they've contributed bugger all to the Premier League the last few years, let's face it), while Brighton, who are a really exciting proposition, would be in the top flight now, and Ipswich, who are quite a neat team much like Leicester, would have been in the playoffs.

Down in League Two, Newport would have gone down (and would have been justified as they're complete cack this season) while Forest Green Rovers, who had a great season last year in non-league, would be up, while Tranmere Rovers, who really are a League One team in stature, would have had a shout of the playoffs.

If promotion between the League and the Conference should be opened up more, @Joe Jones, why not have exactly the same promotion and relegation - four down, four up? From next season obviously ;)

It'd also take a bit more of the terror away from losing your place in the FL that way. In the days of re-election, losing your place meant oblivion. In the days of one up one down it was still difficult to get back up. It was unfair and meant a number of top non-league clubs never got their chance in the League (Enfield, Kettering, Altrincham). Why should it be so much more difficult to get promoted into League Two than League One?

No chance, keep it as it is throughout the leagues. In fact there is probably more chance of the Premier League shutting up shop on relegation, than voting for an increase in those relegated.

Same with League 2, the right to be called a 'Football League' side should be hard earned and not made easier, otherwise they might as well just create the fifth division.

If the aim to avoid managerial departures, surely it would make sense to limit the amount of times a club can sack their manager during a certain period of time? The problem would be how this could be ruled.

Do you fine the club? The bigger clubs would just waver the cash.

I'm not sure the article would resolve what it aims to do and I would agree it would be more negative than it would be beneficial.

It's like MP's discussing a set wage for high paying jobs, such as footballers. They won't be able to do anything about it, any implementations would have to be handled at club level.

1 hour ago, Fozzy said:

That bloke really needs to get out more......

I believe he's an actor after a quick five minutes of fame, though the video makes me laugh with how many parodies it has spawned

no, leave it. nothing wrong.

there is to many chances being made to football, its becoming silly. the leagues are fine as they are. if anything there should be more focus on getting money fairly spread out across the leagues, if the changes was made it would be harder.

Archived