Liverpool Vs Notts County

Chris

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Capital One Cup - Liverpool vs Notts County
Live from Anfield at 7:45pm (On Sky, Local Radio and Magpie Player)

Match Summary

After the last game against Stevenage things appear to have deflated further, although the special thing about cup games is the upsets and you can never write off underdogs. This will be Notts County's chance to show us fans that they're trying and we should expect a certain length in transition for the players to gel but last Saturday was very disappointing. All we can really ask from the players is to go into the game and believe, if we try... I will be happy, just need to see that spirit and early signs we saw from the friendlies and hopefully they'll enjoy the game.

Li
verpool will no doubt be confident, will they field a strongest squad? I'm not sure myself. I think we see some players introduced to make up numbers but I hope to see Gerrard for example.

No prediction from me, just going to enjoy the game with @super_pie :)

Thoughts?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

i think it will be a very entertaining game, part of me thinks they will destroy us but part of me also thinks we might escape with a narrow win. i see notts wanting to put in a good game, its the instructions which will help us and we have to make sure we get them spot on and avoid being scared to try different things.

one defensive unit from front to back.

will take a 1-0 win. you pies!!! :)

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

I understand how you feel Liam.Part of me is also worried that Notts will get hammered,especially with morale low due to disappointing results.Then I remember how well Notts played against Man City.I hope the players and fans have an enjoyable experience at Liverpool.Come on Notts,give your fans something to cheer about!

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,556
  • Days Won:  9

No doubt an harder test tomorrow night and we can expect to see a much different game.

Notts have not been consistently poor, just at times. Sheffield United we did okay considering we went down to 10 men, Peterborough we started off brightly and the performance dipped. At Walsall we allowed them to be the better side for the majority of the game, adding to our problems but we always look capable of getting into the game and the final 30 odd minutes we did very well. Stevenage was different, it would suggest confidence issues and a lack on know how. We certainly need a boost, it's required.

Liverpool will not be the same game as any of these, they will hit us and we need to rock solid in all departments if we are to get anything out of the game.

The defense and midfield need to defend, they need to be prepared to do a lot of running.

Otherwise this will be a gamble, I do not want to see Notts sitting in our own half but I expect a good game. I hope so :)

I will be making the trip to Liverpool, I hope everyone enjoys the game. YP!

Well I'm up early, I wanted to see what the fuss this @tonyhateley's been on about and to my dismay he isn't even on! Early morning huh? I bet he's still wrapped up nicely. ;)

You have to be excited about today, win - lose or draw it will be a good day out.

Hopefully made better by a decent showing, you can't ask for much more and I hope Jake also enjoys it. I know he will because he loves away days! He'll like this because it's the cup also. :D

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,479
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

If the players can't lift themselves for this game, then we'll have a problem for the rest of the season. We have nothing to lose. Go out and play our own game.

• Content Count:  10,953
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Well I'm up early, I wanted to see what the fuss this @tonyhateley's been on about and to my dismay he isn't even on! Early morning huh? I bet he's still wrapped up nicely. ;)

You have to be excited about today, win - lose or draw it will be a good day out.

Hopefully made better by a decent showing, you can't ask for much more and I hope Jake also enjoys it. I know he will because he loves away days! He'll like this because it's the cup also. :D

You call 8.55 am early, pah, I've been up three hours and been and gone from the forum by that time.

Safe journey to you Joe and all Notts fans making the trip, I hope the players give us a performance to be proud of.

Early?

Whatever happens tonight will either raise hopes sky high or plunge Notts fans further into the depths of despair. Either way Nots will have it all to do on Saturday in the more important league match.Hope everyone enjoys tonight :thumbsup:

Early?

Whatever happens tonight will either raise hopes sky high or plunge Notts fans further into the depths of despair. Either way Nots will have it all to do on Saturday in the more important league match.Hope everyone enjoys tonight :thumbsup:

Supporter+

Watching on Sky and its 0-2 at half time against a VERY strong Liverpool side, Notts have several key players out with injuries and are being overwhelmed by Liverpool it could easily be 4 or 5 nil. Notts had one good effort on target a fierce free kick from Labadie which the goalie saved apart from which its been one way traffic.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

Bart - 5 - He made 2 clangers on the Sturridge goal and Sterlings aswell. 

Dumbuya - 7 - At times very good defending, some dodgy moments though.
Smith - 7- Really impressed with Smith tonight
Liddle - 6.5 - Usual Liddle, at times at fault, but solid enough display
Stevens - 6.5 - Solid enough.

JCR - 7.5 - Thought he was our best player before he got taken off.
Fotheringham - 6 - Headless chicken at times, but put in the yards.
Labadie - 4 - Didn't even seem to care.
Bell - 6 - At times non existent, some good touches. Needs to get more involved.

McGregor - 7 - Positive. Didn't always work, but can't really fault him.
Arquin - 8 - MOM for us. Why can't he do that week in week out? 

Thompson - 6.5 - Looked good when he came on
Coombes - 6.5 - Took the goal well and looked lively
Boucaud - 6.5 - Did the basics well, prefer him to Fotheringham

Supporter+

A lot better second half and no disgrace in losing to a very strong premiership side. Well done Notts, I agree that Arquin was MOM I want to see THAT Arquin turn up for every game.

I was getting worried when Notts went 2 down.Granny was listening in the living room,while I was listening in the kitchen to The Rams who were soon winning by the same score.There didn't seem much encouragement for Notts and I was concentrating on Derby when there was a scream from Granny..Notts had scored.With Derby comfortable and Notts back in the game I found myself listening more to Notts..Should Notts have had a penalty just before Liverpool got their third?It could have been different.At least Notts can come away with their heads held high but now need to take this level of effort and performance into the next match.I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.Well done,Notts.

• Content Count:  18,309
  • Days Won:  28

Seemed like a better performance for notts today as they played alot better and its not a bad score against a team at that level. Like others have said... i hope they carry on that level of play into the league games.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  238
  • Days Won:  10

AMAZING!!!

This is the end of the Cup, but have to be the beginning of the league. keep all the positive things!

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Amazing, absolutely amazing. I'm bursting with pride right now.

When we went 1-0 down early on I feared we might be in for a long night, but we made it tough for them to break through and even at 2-0, Bart made a couple of good saves and there were some brilliant interceptions. I honestly never thought we were out of it. At 2-0, Liverpool had hit the post twice and we appeared to be growing into the game - having more of the ball etc.

When Arquin rose and headed home to get us on the score sheet I went balistic. I think I dsiturbed half of Weymouth, what a special moment that was. Suddenly Liverpool looked nervy. They missed some guilt edge chances to seal the game and then what happens? Was it a dream? Surely not, not our little old club equalising from 2-0 down? Oh yes! One of the most amazing moments of my life. I would have given anything to be there at the stadium in amongst those travelling fans when that equaliser went on. I honestly had a lump in my throat afterwards.

In the end, Liverpool's superior fitness levels and when it came to Henderson's goal - skill told, but what a night. We lost, but in a way we won. Despite getting through there's no wya will Liverpool be happy with tonight.

Lets not forget, that was a very VERY strong side Liverpool put out, and we took them to extra time, and gave them a real scare. Each and every one of those players should hold their heads up very high tonight because they did this little old club vert, VERY proud indeed.

All's I hoped was that we'd keep the scoreline respectable. We did more than that. We scored twice, took them the distance and I thought played quite well. Even through the spells where Liverpool were just having 5-10 minutes on the ball we kept closing them down and never seemed to tyre until maybe the last 10 minutes of extra time.

I'm bursting with pride right now, it was like a dream.

I really hope that this brings the fans together. It was an amazing night and if the fans can stay behind the team the way they did tonight, and if the players show that much character, trust me the points will start to come.

Well done lads, and well done to the travelling fans. You all did us very, very proud. YOU PIES

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,479
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Liverpool are a Premiership side with notions that they are a force of some kind. Last night showed them for what they are, an average Premiership side, with a glorious past. Indeed they probably dusted off their videos (DVDs weren't invented when Liverpool were a force in English football) and watched them last night.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  238
  • Days Won:  10

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0HZesCkHSU

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGJ0RmR4m5g

• Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

I see you in the crowd,Joe!

I'm in the first video LOL

After the first goal, some of the crowd became negative which you can only expect. When the 2nd went in a little discontent from more than a few started to become noticeable. Some of the fans who believed got involved and starting singing, it was fantastic! I had a sore throat but I chanted throughout the game and when the crowd is on side, it makes a huge difference.

I thought the opening minutes we gave them the ball a little too easily, I felt we as a side was nervous and probably rightly so. Liverpool are big team and it takes time to find your feet. The first goal with better marking wouldn't have happened - Yet I repeat they're a Premier League side and they attacked us like one.

At no point did I feel we couldn't get back into it - Someone actually asked me and I told them that if we controlled the game a little more and got at least one goal it would give us some room.

We had time on the ball, they allowed us to move and I think they wanted us to make mistakes/tire ourselves out.

Arquin needs to kick the tempers out of the game and try to always be involved, you can't really ask more than that in my opinion and when he applies himself he's a real force. Coombes received some negative comments upon entering the field and I glad he got on the score sheet.

McGregor looked tricky and real class, he never looked out of place and he didn't stop trying. The new loanee at left back - Once he came into the game and found his feet I thought he were really impressive. Bart made some outstanding saves and always does us proud!

My highlight of the night, which is something I won't forget is when we sang.. to Steven Gerrard and then asked him what the score was.

I didn't expect him to respond but he did. He signaled that it was 2-2 and we all started singing he was a county fan. LOL

1235348_10152601748905961_199877430_n.jp

Jake loved it!!

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

What an awesome night! Fantastic comeback by the lads and showed true grit and determination to not let their heads go down after the second goal went in. Fans were rocking and the atmosphere was electric. Mcgregor had a good game and wasn't fazed by playing at Anfield. Smith will be difficult to drop when Leacock returns. Tempting to push Liddle into the midfield! Arquin showed some class moves and scored a great goal. Coombes came on and got us all in a frenzy with his goal! The whole team made me proud to be a Notts fan. Thank you Liverpool for some fab memories and Gerrard for being such a good sport with signalling the score! :)

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,556
  • Days Won:  9

Notts can play some good football when we want.

It was frustrating to see so many early mistakes, quite a few stray passes and of course very weak marking. The turn around was when we decided to take care with the ball. I am very impressed by the neat play we and creativity, some very good spells.

The new lad seems to be quite settled, McGregor a breath of fresh air and for a youngster he shows the mind of an experienced player.

Thought Smith was weak at times, he had a good however. Bart unlucky with the third goal but how well did Liddle do!! Great defending!

• Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

Bart - 5 - He made 2 clangers on the Sturridge goal and Sterlings aswell. 

Dumbuya - 7 - At times very good defending, some dodgy moments though.

Smith - 7- Really impressed with Smith tonight

Liddle - 6.5 - Usual Liddle, at times at fault, but solid enough display

Stevens - 6.5 - Solid enough.

JCR - 7.5 - Thought he was our best player before he got taken off.

Fotheringham - 6 - Headless chicken at times, but put in the yards.

Labadie - 4 - Didn't even seem to care.

Bell - 6 - At times non existent, some good touches. Needs to get more involved.

McGregor - 7 - Positive. Didn't always work, but can't really fault him.

Arquin - 8 - MOM for us. Why can't he do that week in week out? 

Thompson - 6.5 - Looked good when he came on

Coombes - 6.5 - Took the goal well and looked lively

Boucaud - 6.5 - Did the basics well, prefer him to Fotheringham

wow... you don't like bart! 5!!

he made some cracking saves and the first two goals came via defensive flaws. the 3rd goal he could not stop the power, he was beat by that.

thought as a team we played okay, we did not rely on the flanks and as joe said we was creative in the middle our set pieces look impressive, i dont know why we dont try to do what liverpool did. drop like flies when anyone stepped towards them!

Archived