Match Discussion: Game 3 - The Glovers (H)

PON_News

Game 3 - The Glovers (H)

Team: Yeovil Town

Date: 17/08/18

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

its a good chance to get meadow lane off to winning ways, it should be a very important game and if notts play in the right way its hard to see how can mess this one up.

Hemmings and Dennis will hopefully start since Stead is playing tonight.

Stead can't play both games and give 100%, the weekend is looking brighter already.

Very good chance to get the first win of the season.

Just stay switched on and put bodies on the line to defend, we should be good. I am looking forward to a decent performance.

It's a whole new game.

I don't think Yeovil will be pushovers but I do think if Notts can be strong in possession that the game will favour us. I'm not keen on seeing a formation change but it seems likely, I wonder how many more games Kristian Dennis will miss though? It's best we don't risk him but it's odd that he comes on as a sub sometimes. Yes this may be related to fitness, but I think the answer to our problems is partly who starts up top.

If Jon Stead starts, hopefully he will be all fired up.

After last night I think this is the start our season now the conference of taking a championship side the distance will put some energy and confidence back in to the squad. It want be easy but every run has to start somewhere and this I believe will be ours if we set our selfs our right and play like I know we can

confidence should be high after doing well against middleborough, it must show the squad that they can play well and compete. i just feel the defence needs to be more responsible, even kn has mentioned this. 

I have a good feeling tonight, I think Notts will win 2-0.

Hopefully they can put on a good display, get the crowd going and we can all enjoy Meadow Lane under the floodlights.

I think it will be 2-1.

Yeovil to score late on and for the final minutes to be the usual nail biting situation.

Supporter+

I’m hoping things start to click into place I won’t make a prediction because that would be the kiss of death but fingers crossed eh?

Wow, what a complete joke that was. Until the goals started flowing we looked pretty decent and purposeful on the ball, but as soon as Yeovil won the ball (and they broke quickly and in numbers) we were absent. None of the midfield had a tackle in them, the full backs were isolated and far too easily beaten and the centre halves were like headless chickens all night. In the end it was far too easy for them, and that was worrying. Even in our bad spells last season we still managed to give the opposition a difficult game, but not today!

Our lack of options at the back is a real concern now. We have invested heavily in our attacking options but now have fewer options in goal and at left-back. And because of Tootle's injury we had the ridiculous spectacle of Hewitt (the one man who could have added a bit of steel to midfield had he not been forced to play out of position) and Boldewijn impersonating a right-back, with disastrous results.

• Like 1

Supporter+

That was awful, the first 10-15 minutes Notts were looking good going forward although they did have a scare very early on. However once Yeovil found they were in acres of space going forward they just kept running at us, our midfield were awful the defence were terribly exposed. I don’t think anyone came out of that game with any credit. Nolan has a huge job to sort that lot out.

I thought the fans were excellent, there were a few boos but by and large at the end there were a lot of positive shouts telling the players to keep their heads up etc. At least that’s how it seemed where I was.

Lets hope it was a bad day at the office but 10 goals shipped in three games tells its own story.

• Like 1

There is no pace in the team where it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awful. Defence seems too easy to break down once again. Maybe its time we introduced Crawford, Patching and Bird. Ben Hall, when fit, will be an introduction we are all glad to see. Nolan needs to either change the philosophy, style of play and replace players. I'm all by standing by the manager but if he doesn't make the changes needed and sticks with the same squad and style of play then it might need contemplating. Hopefully though, he can turn it around and get the players working the way he was as a player. Full in, heart on sleeves playing for the shirt. We need that. Now. 

Yeovil missed 2 great chances before thy scored. Defence just switched off again, no marking. Overheard some supporters on leaving in that the goalkeeper was not to blame for any of the goals conceded. 200k wasted on a strike force that doesnt look like scoring. 

Yeovil never looked like a side capable of winning 2-0, let alone 4. It was awful defending and we played too far up the field but Fitzsimons should have done better. He's not faultless but I do feel sorry for him.

Notts started the game very well, I thought what is happening when we looked very lively and we should have been 1-0 up in my opinion. I need to see the disallowed goal again but from there it went downhill not long after. The referee was extremely poor, the Notts defending was absent throughout and it wasn't acceptable. Kevin Nolan needs to shake things up, however Richard Duffy isn't a captain - nor is he a leader.

At 2-0 down, I'm thinking Notts just needs a goal and I do believe that would have made some difference.

The game was just very poor, Yeovil was out matched and played very limited but struck when it mattered. There's so much more I could say but I really don't want too, I said yesterday to @Magic magpie I needed time to reply and I still do.

• Like 1

Yeovil looked like scoring from the slightest break with a little bit of pace behind them.

I have lost all faith in Ross Fitzsimons, he's not vocal enough and doesn't bother. The defence is terrible.

I was way too angry and shellshocked to type anything last night. I sat down at home with a large glass of something, gathered my thoughts, and then slept on them. In the sober light of day, I still don't know what to make of it. 

After a fine display at Middlesbrough I couldn't really argue with the team selection. Felt a little sorry for Steady, who has been playing well so far, and it was a toss-up between Husin and Kellett for a starting place, if Notts were going to revert to 4-4-2. Both played really well on Wednesday night. 

But I half expected them to keep the 3-5-2 formation and play a centre trio of Vaughan Husin AND Kellett, especially with Tootle unavailable.  We don't have capable cover for either full back, so starting three centre halves seemed logical to me, even if one of them is either Jones or Hewitt. Pierce Bird can do a job too if he has experienced men around him. 

But we are sometimes too quick to point fingers at the back five when goals are flying in. The fact is the midfield have to take their share. Thomas and Boldewijn are eager going forward, but neither look willing to track back and help out.  Vaughan is starting to look a good ballplayer but he's not quick enough to shut down opponents when we don't have the ball. Husin looks a touch lightweight to be taking L2 games by the scruff of the neck. All too often Yeovil were allowed to get through us with the ball, without anything like a strong enough challenge. We seriously need some steel and authority in the middle. 

Can't fault the strikers. We might've been three up inside the first 20 minutes and with Dennis still a little rusty and still getting to know Hemmings, I think regular goals will come in time. 

We need to bring in three players.  A left back (is Oxlade-Chamberlain right-sided?), a "gorilla" of a no-messing centre half, and an uncompromising midfielder to win the ball and give it to the creative players.

I don't believe we have the capability in this existing squad. I know this back four did well last season, but the midfield has largely changed, and with it the ethic of dropping in to cover and work for each other has gone.  

Hopefully Nolan can find two or three loanees to sort us out. If he can't, he's got a lot of work to do to get what he wants from this squad. 

Natty

• Like 3

@Chris did say yesterday he would need time to respond and to be fair I did as well. 

During the game I was angry and couldn’t believe my eyes and what I was seeing such a promise at the start of the season but last night we shown nothing like that. 

The first 10-20 minutes we attacked well held a new confidence even scoreing a goal to be disallowed I said to @Christhe Middlesbrough game being the spark. 

Unfortunately not we conceived to quick goals and our defence didn’t stand firm and rather Than hold the shape they brought us out to easy and we paid for it. When we attacked they helded there shape and wouldn’t be drawn out. 

Second half pretty muchthe same another disallowed goal a missed this time with a penalty miss .. two subs that were booed from home fans. was enough for me to say by far the worst game I’ve been to. 

We have more games so that’s the only hope and Tuesday is the game to ignite the season

• Like 1

notts lack the fight needed to win games at the moment.

i think there is enough creativity and power up front but the defence looks absolutely ****. there is no other word for it.

15 hours ago, ivansneck said:

There is no pace in the team where it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the defence.

The game was winnable that's the annoying thing for me but the awful defending cost the club from doing that.

• Chris unfeatured this topic

I am frustrated by the way Notts gave the game away, 4 goals is a sorry state of affairs. I hope for better against Newport County.