Are there any master chefs among us.?

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

So i was watching master chef last night and I've had a thought (are there dark horses in this group) any one who can cook like a pro make us drool . any takers guys and girls 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I enjoy cooking but I’m not up to masterchef standards by any stretch of the imagination. I do enjoy watching the programme though.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I haven't trained properly, mind you the person in my family who did burns toast so go figure that one out? After working as a waiter for some time, I moved into the kitchen after switching jobs and I worked mostly as a kitchen porter to the restaurant side.

However, I assisted the chefs when I could and I had a big interest in following how they work.

I was shown a lot of pastry and desert practices by a German chef who honestly is amazing, he could literally create anything in cake form and his deserts was the nicest I have ever tasted.

When I switched to the hotel due to issues with my GM, I eventually moved up into the kitchen and assisted the head chef who was doing all the bar work by himself. I really enjoyed it and he treated me with a lot of respect. I learned a lot about cooking and during my time working in a care home - I cooked meals from scratch for over 40+ residents all with individual requirements. I learned to cook beef properly, checking for the temperatures, sorting the stock, ordering, keeping organised and everything. I wouldn't mind trying to do chef work in the future, yet right now I tire very easily and that leads to dislocations.

Imagine being able to dislocate any part of your body, often without knowing and then call that person a fraud when they say they're disabled. Some days I can barely walk. 

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
2 hours ago, Chris said:

I haven't trained properly, mind you the person in my family who did burns toast so go figure that one out? After working as a waiter for some time, I moved into the kitchen after switching jobs and I worked mostly as a kitchen porter to the restaurant side.

However, I assisted the chefs when I could and I had a big interest in following how they work.

I was shown a lot of pastry and desert practices by a German chef who honestly is amazing, he could literally create anything in cake form and his deserts was the nicest I have ever tasted.

When I switched to the hotel due to issues with my GM, I eventually moved up into the kitchen and assisted the head chef who was doing all the bar work by himself. I really enjoyed it and he treated me with a lot of respect. I learned a lot about cooking and during my time working in a care home - I cooked meals from scratch for over 40+ residents all with individual requirements. I learned to cook beef properly, checking for the temperatures, sorting the stock, ordering, keeping organised and everything. I wouldn't mind trying to do chef work in the future, yet right now I tire very easily and that leads to dislocations.

Imagine being able to dislocate any part of your body, often without knowing and then call that person a fraud when they say they're disabled. Some days I can barely walk. 

Wow, @Chris a lot of interesting stuff there I didn’t know about you, can’t imagine cooking for 40 people, good grief! 

The dislocation thing sounds horrible, I don’t know how you cope with that. There are a lot of invisible illnesses that some people don’t realise exist. My brother in law had a disabled sticker because he had a brain tumour and had difficulty walking more than a few yards but to look at him you would have thought he was perfectly fit, more than once he got abuse for using disabled parking spots by ignorant people, sadly he succumbed to the tumour and is no longer with us.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i want to learn to cook, its something i should try because i dont do much in all honesty.

at the moment i live with my mum but when i get my own place, i would be lost and i dont want to rely on frozen meals or takeaways. it would be nice to start from scratch, so @Magic magpie and his excellent images of his food as inspired me.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

Back in my late teens and early 20's I used to work in a pubs kitchen.

I enjoy cooking but I wouldn't class myself as a chef, it a very stressful position and people don't understand the long hours involved. Being on your feet for 12 hour shifts can take its tool too.

• Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  17

I enjoy cooking a dinner (Sunday roast) etc. Not so good at pastry, Paul does that.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

3 hours ago, liampie said:

i want to learn to cook, its something i should try because i dont do much in all honesty.

at the moment i live with my mum but when i get my own place, i would be lost and i dont want to rely on frozen meals or takeaways. it would be nice to start from scratch, so @Magic magpie and his excellent images of his food as inspired me.

Same here.

Its something young people like ourselves take for granted. Do either of you guys cook @ARLukomski @samwatto2008 @Bainbridge NCFC?

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

If I am being totally honest im 19 and still come home most days to a home cooked meal. I can do the basics right and can make some really good combos by doing so however cooking a meal that takes time and effort I think I would find difficult. I normally make things like: burgers with grilled halloumi salad, jacket potatoes, feta cheese salad, tomato and halloumi pittas. I can cook and prepare simple yet tasty meals. I eat a lot of salads and things like that so there is not much need to go overboard. I eat a lot of Greek, Italian food which is fairly simple to make. @TheSkipper 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

I cook basic things too.

You have to start some where and unlike others my age I do not like microwavable meals, they just taste rushed and bland.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

Just now, CliftonMagpie said:

I do not like microwavable meals, they just taste rushed and bland.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. I will only do it as a last resort. Bit of an unpopular opinion but sometimes I feel as if McDonalds and Subway places like that is actually better for you than some of these microwave meals with how much grease and crap comes pouring out of them when heated.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

@TheSkipper missus does all the cooking mate, unless it's pizza or bang it in the oven job then that's me lol although when it comes to fry ups im the cook in my household 

Looks like @Magic magpie might have to post some recipes and teach us PON members who don't cook how to do so!

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

I can cook, I just don't need to really. Then again haven't really had to. Always had someone to cook for me. 

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I can cook but making things from scratch is a nightmare for me. I eat mostly at dinners and restaurants, having no real place of residence means I have little space to cook. 

13 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

Looks like @Magic magpie might have to post some recipes and teach us PON members who don't cook how to do so!

I was after some from you guys mate 👍🏻

15 hours ago, magpiejue said:

I enjoy cooking a dinner (Sunday roast) etc. Not so good at pastry, Paul does that.

Pastry is something even chef avoid 😙

21 hours ago, Chris said:

But your pizza and gatoex though stand out for me fell you a natural touch with food 

3 hours ago, Magic magpie said:

I was after some from you guys mate 👍🏻

You should be so lucky.

1 hour ago, Bainbridge NCFC said:

I can make decent Milkshakes in the blender, they're really good. If that's masterchef material 

Oh yes mate you can count that’s indeed  can’t a decent shake I will say yes it mate 

735BAC19-03F7-4CFC-B5E3-8E538713B810.jpeg

Archived