Who do you want in the FA Cup 1st Round?

ARLukomski

Of all the options available I would probably go for Alfreton away despite the banana skin potential.   I couldn't help but notice that  Dunston UTS, the lowest ranked team left in the competition got their dream draw at home to Gateshead, who play less than 4 miles away.  The game has been selected for broadcast on BBC media platforms, which will give a fantastic boost to Dunston's finances.  This is what the romance of the FA Cup is all about, because these days it means far more to lower league clubs than it does the big boys in the Premiership who seem to see it as an irritation.

My honest opinion is I don't want to go through. Would rather get knocked out and concentrate on the league. However, I am missing Mansfield at Home this year so that would be the dream fixture. 

If not then maybe a couple of the following:

Peterborough (H)

Mansfield (H)

Sunderland (H) or (A)

Carlisle (A)

Any non-league club (A)

Away to a non league team for me.

People will want it to be at home all the time but it could give our fans a good away day, plus get the club on TV nice and early during the run of televised FA Cup games. Besides, when the bigger teams are drawn most will want one of them so I think giving a lower down team a chance to rake in some money is only right. I don't really care who we get, just do the home work and give it 100%.

On 16/10/2018 at 20:59, samwatto2008 said:

My honest opinion is I don't want to go through. Would rather get knocked out and concentrate on the league. However, I am missing Mansfield at Home this year so that would be the dream fixture. 

Look at Bradford and Lincoln for example, these two clubs have enjoyed both cup and league success.

They money gained via doing well in the cups has given them more to spend. If Notts are to gain promotion this season just think about how important the financial benefits would be. Even if the club doesn't gain promotion, the money generated could enable them to spend bigger or even clear off any debts from overspending on the players budget. The cup is very important, if it was the League Cup I might actually have agreed with you.

Who Notts get in the first round I don't really care but the game must be won.

On 16/10/2018 at 23:30, Chris said:

I concur Alfreton would be nice.

My dad and grandfather lived in Alfreton, it would be a good game for Notts and a few past connections to the club. I'd take them but really anyone at this stage, I'm not overly fussed.

Maybe if they do another away day ?

On 16/10/2018 at 20:59, samwatto2008 said:

If not then maybe a couple of the following:

Peterborough (H)

Mansfield (H)

Sunderland (H) or (A)

Carlisle (A)

Any non-league club (A)

Mansfield agree there mate be a great match 👍🏻

Torquay weekender would be nice, good memories down there. 

If we get a home tie chances are it'll be on a Sunday as them lot are at home on the Saturday and we're playing the Tuesday before 1st round weekend.

Certainly not a "bin the cup focus on the league fan". I just don't buy into this idea that to be successful in the league you must sacrifice every other competition. The year we won this league we had our best run in tbe cup for about 30 years making the 5th round. 

Or I'll give you 2 more examples. Last season Slough Town won promotion from the southern premier league via the play offs. They also made the second round proper of the fa cup, the first round lf the trophy and the final of the league cup. Essentially they ended up playing about 60 games last season. 

Or you can look to South Shields. Last season they lost one out of 55 games in all competitions. Won the lesgue, the league cup, the Durham challenge cup, and the FA Vase. 

I guess the more popular example would be Lincoln. Won the league, made the quarter finals of the fa cup and the semi finals of the trophy.

Focus on the league my backside

Archived