"Key" fringe signings must be given time

AmericanPie

It seems to me the likes of David Vaughan and Kristian Dennis just need to be given time to get on the same wavelength as others in the squad, especially with the upturn of form. I fail to see how they benefit the club sitting on the bench or missing games completely.

These could be game changing players.

It sounds like others have improved given the chance, i have read comments about how Lewis Alessandra has taken his chance to cement a starting position. So why can't Vaughan or Dennis? There's depth in the squad and Harry Kewell has to get the most out of them.

What does other PON members think?

For me Vaughan really should have stamped an authority on this league, but he just didn’t ! His play was unimpressive and the killer forward pass never appeared & virtually every tackle he won resulted in him being booked. That’s why he got dropped and why he will find it hard to get in the starting 11.

i feel for Dennis because the Stead / Hemmings partnership is beginning to blossom. In my opinion Harry should have been a little more sparing with Stead; there have been games when he’s been out on his feet and an injection of pace from Dennis in the last 20 minutes would have both given Stead a rest and Dennis valuable game time & incentive.

I agree, the only way we can get the best out of players is to play them.

Harry Kewell really doesn't need to change much to get Kristian Dennis off the ground, I still feel he's not quite match fit but not playing him makes it worse. He's a good striker and a waste of money to be sitting on the bench. He needs to be given time to settle and he needs to be encouraged, for a striker it's all about getting a goal.

Confidence will then grow and I don't think it's because Dennis isn't performing well.

I just feel he needs time to catch the regulars up in terms of their fitness but David Vaughan has always looked good when I have seen him. He's someone some fans just don't see the benefits of him playing and quite unfairly single him out.

When there's others have done worse and yet received praise/support - Ross Fitzsimons, Elliott Hewitt etc.

Vaughan could work but I'd send him out on loan in January to someone like Burton. Dennis will work but he just needs confidence and at the minute he can't get in because of Stead and Hemmings' performances. It doesn't help that Dennis came to Notts with an injury, didn't have a pre-season, has no service, has no confidence and got played on the wing. 

All signings must be given the chance to show why they can do it wouldn’t be fair .. especially as we have signed some good players for this season thenlikes of Vaughan has to be Given the chance for exsprisence Dennis and Hemmings if they click up front will be fantastic but time is needed.

This is a good discussion but people aren't replying, are people nervous to state who should be given a chance with all these so called experts bashing the likes of Vaughan/Dennis?

I think it's correct.

They need to be played and given time, they're experienced pros and if Notts helps them the rewards could be high. Remember you only reap what you sow, so if we spend silly money to bring Dennis in and on wages with Vaughan then it's more fool us if we can't get the best out them. They have done well elsewhere, so issue for me isn't them it's us.

i think if they dont fit in and wont be given time we should look to allow them to leave in january and find players who can and will fit in with this squad.

its a shame because we do have a quality squad with depth.

i just think playing dennis is not something the club has prepared for and i dont think we know how to get the best out of him. i hope he stays and proves himself but he wont do that with how hes being used. it reminds of forte last season, once given a chance to start he performed and did well.

• Chris featured this topic

It's obvious that some players need to get up to scratch with the tactics and/or be given a chance. Harry seems to do odd changes to combat the fact he doesn't yet know who can be the strongest to start against certain teams.

• Chris unfeatured this topic

Archived