Next season needs to be a reset year at meadow lane.

Magic magpie

So earlier @DangerousSausage said something on his post that was very interesting about next season needing to be a reset year. I have to say I agree with him most definitely need to sort out the ownership situation and the players. Because  we have some players who we need to get rid of cause they are a waste on wages and not pulling there wight. A new realistic plan needs to be put in place for county but only a years plan at a time. So much that needs resting next season no matter what league we are in. 

In a way, if the turnover happens, it will automatically be a reset year. I'm hoping we get new owners with patience and vision. And whoever it is, surely their goal won't be to see us treading water in League Two (or, heaven forbid, lower). Make no mistake about it, we're in long-term decline due to decades of bad decisions. When we went down to League Two in 2004, we had spent one of the previous 34 seasons in the fourth tier. Since that time we've virtually become part of the furniture, mostly in the bottom half. Even our promotion in 2010 was thanks to dubious "investors". Despite this, our average crowds are second only to Lincoln's (since when did they have fans?). Whatever division we end up in, the new owners must not accept that it is good enough for Notts County.

At the same time, though, we need to lose the mentality of throwing money at our problems and new signings. Players should be coming because they believe in the club and the manager and because they fit into his vision, not simply because we are offering the most money. We need to focus more on the character and personality of signings; Ardley does this, the previous incumbents didn't.

The next one is pretty obvious - the squad needs an overhaul. You need a core of players to build around - at Notts, that would be O'Brien, Hemmings, maybe Tootle, and after that I'm struggling. Replacing such a large part of the squad is a risky business, so we shouldn't expect instant results.

I agree with @DangerousSausage after the takeover it will automatically reset, however, just like with Alan Hardy's era - it will need extensive time to fully correct any underlining issues. The club has been run poorly for years, well before the Munto saga, but it had gotten worse after with all the instability and gimmicks which Notts County went through.

The club needs to think about the pathway into the first team, whilst signing the best players for the squad. This might now always be the best names or reputation, sometimes its the players who will give 100% over a consistent period of time. If the club could get this right, resetting would be a lot easier. I just hope when the takeover happens money isn't thrown into the club and no pressure is asserted from the fickle fans encouraging the club to spend big.

Next season must have less expectations, if the takeover happens and we survive relegation. I would be disappointed if the club tried to focus on promotion straight a way, there's nothing wrong with that goal as such. I just feel its something that shouldn't be expected.

A transitional period is normal after seasons like this.

Stand by the manager and see how things go!

Archived