Squad size and wasted resources

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I was just browsing through pictures of @Dan's and I came across a few of the players who are missing. The likes Andy Kellett, Will Patching, Noor Husin etc.

Prior to the public knowledge, I was well aware about Elliott Ward triggering a contract if he started/played more.

However, it makes me baffled how wasteful the club can be. I haven't seen Andy Kellett, Will Patching or Noor Husin for a while, I'm certain there will be other players that seem to have been forgotten (most likely told that they're not wanted). The squad size this season, and previous ones have been a complete joke. I wished they could focus on actually signing players that offered something different and would fit in.

Andy Kellett for me has been missed used and one of the players who lit up this season when started.

Rob Milsom, Richard Duffy - they haven't been consistent enough for me. I don't see why they gain praise for being beneath average, I mean I praised Duffy until he reverted to no-mans-land. Rob Milsom might be okay at defending at left back, he's piss poor going forward and very wasteful. Yet there are players who don't seem to be in the squad now.

I find it all rather bizarre, and a telltale sign that the club hasn't got any ideas on how to forge the team in some sort togetherness.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

This is exactly what happens when you chop and change managers like we do.

You end up with players who may be talented, but don't fit into the managers system or style, and they go to waste. All of those that are not seen anymore are Nolan or Kewell signings. 

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Days Won:  0

The signing of Dennis too has been a joke, why did we sign a 20+ goal a season striker and not play him when we are desperate for goals? The only chance he's had is upfront on his own with ball's aimlessly hoofed over his head

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

2 hours ago, CMetcalf said:

The signing of Dennis too has been a joke, why did we sign a 20+ goal a season striker and not play him when we are desperate for goals? The only chance he's had is upfront on his own with ball's aimlessly hoofed over his head

I personally feel he was never supported well enough with his return to fitness.

I don't think anyone knew how to play him, Harry Kewell certainly had no clue and Kevin Nolan barely had a chance. This is why I feel we shot ourselves in the foot by sacking Nolan, it's done now, but I just wished we had made sure that the fitness side of things was spot on.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

The squad is way to big in fact it’s one of the largest in league two if not the largest. 

We have wasted money on wages on players that haven’t played for us Campbell and oxlade-chamberlain and a few other players. 

Not necessarily the players fault though it’s due in part to changing managers who want to bring in there own players and formations etc. 

If we haven’t of done this with the managed we could have had a smaller but dynamic squad and saved some money. 

Player is just one of the wastes of money we have over spent on next season this as to change and there as to massive releases to balance the books for the new owner and to achieve a quality sized squad. 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

We've had a bloated squad for years, and like Super Dan says, it's mainly down to us chopping and changing managers. And this season we've had rank bad planning on top of that - an expensive, top-heavy squad with no goalkeeper with appreciable League experience and no backup for the centre-halves or the full-backs (Carl Dickinson and Nicky Hunt may not have been the most amazing footballers, but they were reliable enough options when Jones or Tootle were missing or having a bad patch, and were sorely missed this time - every squad needs players like that).

Every season that are maybe two or three players who don't quite make the breakthrough, but this time we must have had a whole team of them - Chaimberlain, Patching, Crawford, Kellett, Husin, Hewitt, Jones, and latterly Evina and Ward. I don't doubt that some or even all of those are not being picked for a good reason, but it's not ideal is it? We need to go back to having two senior players for every position, with real thought being put into whether new signings will fit into the team in terms of both ability and character. And then who knows, maybe the pennies will go a bit further in future.

• Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

Andy Kellett and Tom Crawford should be in the squad, they did well and was dropped unfairly for me.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,937
  • Days Won:  162

it has gotten silly this season, why the club has failed to use some of them is beyond me. I think it just shows how poor we are.

• Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

We had way too many players in the squad, they got more on loan because the ones they had were useless. Obviously they can't be sold on because no one wants them but they could be let go just to save wages.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

The bloated squad situation is partly what baffles me about people who want Neal Ardley out, he should do much better with his own players and a fresh start. The club needs to avoid giving 3 year deals out so easily.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The squads an absolute mess, I have heard rumours some of the players wasn't training together and the squad was thrown together. Harry Kewell didn't have a clue it sounds from his training was like, its a shame the club forced out people who would have aided Kevin Nolan.

As I say it's all a mess.

• Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

On 03/05/2019 at 23:23, CliftonMagpie said:

Andy Kellett and Tom Crawford should be in the squad, they did well and was dropped unfairly for me.

I agree, Tom Crawford did well before he arrived and when he played he looked comfortable.

He needed someone experienced by him, Jim O'Brien would be ideal.

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

30 minutes ago, upthepies said:

I agree, Tom Crawford did well before he arrived and when he played he looked comfortable.

He needed someone experienced by him, Jim O'Brien would be ideal.

I've barely seen him play, but AFC Fylde are in the play-off final. If they go up they might take him with them.

In any case, he's just the kind of player we should be looking for - young with a bright future, proven in this league and with his best years ahead of him.

• Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

Joining the Coasters on loan in January, Crawford arrived following his move to Notts County in the summer. Crawford began his senior career for Chester City at just 18 years old, making 15 appearances in the 2017/18 National League, scoring at Barrow on his final appearance.

Crawford made his debut for the Coasters as a second-half substitution at Solihull Moors in a 2-1 win.

@DangerousSausage AFC Flyde might want to keep him, yet their final position and the way he performed for them shows that he's an asset to the club.

I would be extremely disappointed if we allowed the likes of him to go.

The club has gained players through old managers and then either can't sell them on or just left them out of the squad... its mad for any wage budget and bad for those players who just dont get a career. We were all moaning years ago when they kept letting players go on a free transfer but i think thats better than paying them to do nothing if we can't find a buyer.

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  128
  • Days Won:  0

Andy Kellett should feature more next season, I don't think the club will offload him or secure better. He looked promising from the flashes I saw and could be a game changer.

Very wasted and needs sorting.

Archived