Does Notts need a director of football?

I’m not saying the club does, I just wonder what others think. Does Notts need a director of football?

Personally if/when Notts return to the Football League, hiring a proper director of football would be the first on my list and have them overseeing the recruitment, scouting and internal stuff. In the Non League it would be a luxury for me but people see things differently.

If the position cannot be held for 5 or more years, than it adds nothing to the clubs stability and would only waste resources that could be better spent. No from me, I thought Paul Hart would do wonders but he clearly didn’t.

Only if you are going to stick to it in the long term. You can't do an Alan Hardy and appoint one and then just undo the work in 2 months. 

If we need one to oversee the scouting system and all football related matters, then do it. If you're not going to stick to that kind of structure in the long term then I don't see the point.

Yes, there needs to be some direction in the terms of football management. Hardy admitted countless time of making mistakes and being on an 'apprenticeship'. At League Two you can't be on an apprenticeship. You can't still be rookie at the game and expect promotion. I dislike him but Barry Fry has got in bob on at Peterborough. He oversees footballing operations and manages it well. We need the same if we are going to progress.

With the SA consortium maybe being a little vague on their English footballing knowledge it might be a good idea to appoint someone with good English footballing knowledge to take over at the helm of this. Maybe offer a trio of former Notts players to work as a cohesion in the role. Costing little money but working effectively. 

I think it’s a position Notts never gets right, Sven did the role well but he’s better than most. Paul Hart wasn’t able to do much, he was brought in on his name and never got the push he needed to help.

I can’t see anything like this changing soon.

Archived