can the fa/premier/football league do more to save football clubs?

can the fa/premier/football league do more to save football clubs?

i think so, they have implemented a fair play rule but clubs are still flirting with extinction by over spending. if i was to pin the blame, i would say it falls down to naive owners/boards/chairman and whatever division that team plays. i know bolton has historic debt ran up from their time in the premier league but how can anyone allow them to operate so wastefully?

will it take burys expulsion from the football league, to get them to become tougher on the finances?

or does football need to lose a few more teams, such as bolton to shake the sport? 

The issue is the clubs like United, City, Liverpool and Arsenal who always operate on a loss.

Nobody will do anything to upset the elite clubs.

Smaller clubs will always suffer, but I do agree that more could be done. It's a case of what and how will it impact those that can currently get away with spending big.

While there are owners prepared to fork out ridiculous transfer fees and pay stupid wages there will also be the risk of clubs over extending themselves.Fans don't care about the financial responsibility of owners whilst  their club is  doing well and when  an owner withholds or restricts his support they start moaning and holding protests.

FIFA could bring in a safe cap, but there's little that would stop a rich or stupid owner from paying for 32 Wayne Rooney's (no Derby dig). It's very unlikely, I think stricter FFP would be something that could help but ultimately it's down to the owners. Fans are dangerously encouraging club's to spend beyond their means in some cases, which can be a vicious circle.

Bury are going under because a succession of shysters used the club and ground to enrich themselves. The EFL didn't even check the finances of the current owner.

While the distribution of cash in the leagues is appalling, I can't believe that the EFL doesn't have more leverage to make sure clubs are run responsibly. It sets the rules for its members to follow after all.

Football grounds have to be protected. There have to be stringent rules governing when they can be sold or mortgaged. Covenants should be put on grounds ensuring they can't just be sold for housing.

Another idea often coined is a German-style licensing system. This would see clubs submit their budgets for the following season to the EFL, including estimated crowds, sponsorship money (including signed contracts as proof), wage bills and more besides. The EFL would then have the power to stipulate adjustments where necessary and if all is well the club gets a license. If not, the club at least has time to sort out a new league for the following season. It hasn't prevented chaos at a number of German clubs but anything has to be better than the lax regime we have now.

14 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

Another idea often coined is a German-style licensing system. This would see clubs submit their budgets for the following season to the EFL, including estimated crowds, sponsorship money (including signed contracts as proof), wage bills and more besides. The EFL would then have the power to stipulate adjustments where necessary and if all is well the club gets a license. If not, the club at least has time to sort out a new league for the following season. It hasn't prevented chaos at a number of German clubs but anything has to be better than the lax regime we have now.

Clubs must start leaving in their means and fans need to understand that they operate within a certain budget.

The German style licensing system sounds quite useful.

I wonder how many clubs it will take for the EFL to expel before they start to try to safe football.

It's a dangerous time.

I think Sky and greedy players have a lot to answer for, simply because any club should operate based on their clubs fans. Rather than cash injects from the chairman and sponsors, I fear a few more will fold not this season but in the coming years.

• 2 weeks later...

There should be a pot of money that top teams such as man united Chelsea and Man City among other teams who declare or makes x amount of profit contribute to. This I believe would not only help teams in trouble but help grass roots. Why should united and city make a substantial profit and give something back.

Archived