Match Discussion: Game 11 - The Shaymen (H)

PON_News

Game 11 - The Shaymen (H)

Team: FC Halifax Town

Date: 14/09/19

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Neal Ardley opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Halifax have been doing better this season if I remember correctly.

They know what this league is all about, so I think it will be a tough game. I hope Neal Ardley avoids making changes which aren't needed, he must settle the squad down now.

Expecting a decent team with a bit of physicality. Had one of the best defensive records last season but didn't score many. Look like they have started to improve in the goals department as they are top scorers after 10 games.

Think Notts have shown we can stand up to teams who bring physicality as we showed against Solihull. However, we must up our passing game and be braver with the ball. More clinical forward passes to unlock defences. I know I keep saying it but it's what needs to happen. 

Also, we are not allowed to lose as this game falls on my birthday 

i think they might be one of the better teams to visit meadow lane so far, they look a good side and can score. i dont think it will never that easy, but pace looks a plus for us as does the experience.

This will be one of the stronger teams we will face this season we need to be focused and organised defensively and be focused up front get on to loose balls  ricochet from a save or defenders and score .. but on the other side of the coin don’t give any silly goals always. A win will breed confidence and morale will be lifted. 

They're in good form, having won their last four games.

At the start of the season, I was told by two Halifax supporters that they had a competitive squad, with a not so attractive budget. The departure of a certain someone therefore came as a surprise, but I think as a side they play with a lot of confidence and will prove difficult to break down.

Notts needs to be matching their confidence, it's the only way to shake off the nerves properly!

If we could unleash some good shots on target from a distance, I think this could cause chaos for their keeper and defence.

Notts will either see a master class from Halifax and we'll buckle to the defence, or we'll do ourselves proud and go toe to toe. Ultimately, I see the latter ending in a draw which I would happily take. I'll say 2-2, with Booty and Thomas finding the net for us.

That was 3 points when most would have only expected 1. Great result, another like that next week and things will be looking rosy.

• Like 1

We were reasonable with 11 men, and superb with 10 men. When Doyle saw red I expected the rest of the game would see us penned in our own half desperately booting it anywhere and trying to cling on for the point. It was just the opposite, we restricted Halifax to one half chance and created far better ones ourselves. We were so comfortable we could easily have won by two or three. Full marks to Ardley today, the formation we played with 10 men was spot on. For the first time this season we had a genuine shape and a pattern of play. Wootton did a great job up front on his own, and O'Brien controlled the midfield. For me, those two should share the MOM award. Halifax didn't know how to cope with it, because playing it around didn't work for them and playing long didn't work either. I was surprised how easily we kept them at bay, I don't think Slocombe had anything to do in the second half. We now have to make sure this isn't yet another false dawn because if they were second in the league on merit, we don't have a lot to fear.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Much better, the game play was better and we won.

Good lively game, I felt like Notts remained on top of it and pushed on after Doyle's rush of blood.

I thought despite the scoreline the game was very entertaining, the referee made it difficult and slowed down the match with some of his nonsense. Very keen to book Notts but let Halifax off with murder I felt.

That should have driven the players on to claim the three points.