Match Discussion: Game 40 - The Iron (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,280
  • Days Won:  80

Game 40 - The Iron (H)

Team: Scunthorpe United

Date: 25/03/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

i can see a few rotations being made due to players being on international duty, the biggest question i think is who will be in goal? if slocombe is not back and brooks is on international duties it leaves us to play mair in goal.

jones is away, langstaff could be missing due to the knock he picked up.

that itself could present problems, if hes fit enough to start due we risk playing him? if hes not, who will play upfront? ruben? there are many questions. hopefully some of the injured players will be able to return but nobody should be rushed back.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I would be amazed if Langstaff's knock is enough to keep him out on Saturday. I suspect it has more to do with not risking him in yesterday's exhibition match than any actual injury he's picked up.

Didn't realise Brooks was also away - in that case I hope Slocombe is back, you don't want to chop and change between keepers. But otherwise, we should still be able to field a strong side.

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Luke Williams is facing some serious challenges, with injuries, international duty, and possibly even Langstaff's recent injury. Maybe withdrawing Langstaff from the England C squad was the right move to protect him and our team, but why take any unnecessary risks? Ruben will need to elevate his game and keep up his recent impressive form. Our success hinges on it. We can't afford to lose to Scunthorpe, especially with all the tickets already sold. We owe it to our fans and ourselves to give it our all and come out on top!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

I would be amazed if Langstaff's knock is enough to keep him out on Saturday.

it probably wont but if there is any doubt, i think it would be a huge risk to play him. i know we are thin up top, but risking a worse injury would derail the club further imo. i am hoping scott is ready to come back.

its hard to know what with the club being quite hush hush on injuries and the local media not asking.

• Content Count:  74
  • Days Won:  6

I don't think we'll have much choice, given the absences (unless we make some signings before the deadline today). From LW's pre match, he seemed to be talking Mair up, which i hope doesn't mean Slocombe isn't ready yet but it wouldn't surprise me. I'd rather we play Mair than risk Slocombe and he gets injured again.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  5

Notts County have a great chance to pick up three points against Scunthorpe United at Meadow Lane. The Iron have struggled on the road this season, and County will be looking to take advantage of that.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

It's crucial that we rally behind our team, regardless of who's playing. Sure, Scunthorpe United may be struggling at the moment, but that doesn't mean we should take it easy on them. In fact, given the current state of injuries and international duties, it's more important than ever to field our strongest squad.

If Mair gets the starting nod, we should all be rooting for him to succeed. And if Langstaff starts but is nursing an injury, we need to be extra cautious and protect him as much as possible. Of course, if we find ourselves in a comfortable position, we can afford to make substitutions without jeopardising the outcome of the game.

Ultimately, what matters most is that Notts County puts its best foot forward. We need to give ourselves the best chance of success, and that means fielding our strongest possible lineup. So let's all get behind the team and show our support, no matter who's on the pitch.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,466
  • Days Won:  5

From my perspective, I find it intriguing to see what team Luke Williams will field. It will be interesting to see which players he chooses and how they will perform on the field. However, regardless of which players are selected, my hope is that Notts County will come out on top with a win.

Edited by BromPie
  • Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Scunthorpe have won once away from home this season. They are in a relegation battle and will do well to stay up. Notts won 4-1 at Scunthorpe in December. Everything points to a home win but we will be changing keepers and there may be absences due to injury. This is a real test for LW. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

We can't expect Scunthorpe United to lay over for us, I simply don't believe that will happen.

Scoring an early goal would be something I feel would lift Notts, provided we didn't sit back and try to absorb the game. We tend to invite teams back into the game when we do this, Notts just needs to approach the game with the mindset that if we create chances - someone will put them away. It's going to be interesting to see who plays in goal, could Brooks do what Carroll did a few years back?

I think they'll try to make it difficult and despite their troubles, they will keep Notts on their toes.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  74
  • Days Won:  6

Seems as if Sam is back for tomorrow but we've lost Lemony, so we're even thinner on the bench. I make it 15 available player including Mair.  I'd like to see at least one of the kids who played against Maidstone get on the bench if we have space. If nothing else, it gives them a taste of a first team matchday - how to prepare, what's expected, etc.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  741
  • Days Won:  2

Although Scunthorpe United may appear to be an easy target, the reality is often more complex. This season's football has been more aesthetically pleasing, but the team performs better when they avoid attempting to pass the ball into the net. Luke Williams, therefore, must communicate a clear message to his players to remain focused on the game and avoid receiving unnecessary yellow cards, regardless of the available options.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

@Chris Brooks might play Saturday night.

I think it's important for football players to give their all for the entire game to succeed. Even if they start slow, they need to keep pushing to create chances to win. I believe they can win if they put in full effort.

Meadow Lane stadium is awesome with over 12,000 fans in attendance. The crowd can inspire the players and make the stadium feel like a higher-level venue.

Ruben and Palmer are great players who can change the game for Notts. They can control the game's flow and create chances for the team. I would love to see them lead the charge.

Overall, I'm confident that Notts can win if they work hard and dedicate themselves to the game. The crowd's support and players like Ruben and Palmer can make a big difference in securing a win.

• Like 3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Great performance by the Pies. Scunthorpe are a very poor side but you can only beat what is in front of you. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think we all gave Scunthorpe United too much credit; they were woeful.

I mean, they never trouble Slocombe bar the dangerous high foot that injured him. They most certainly never caused any sort of problem for Mair, which is either a sign of how well we played or, how dire and woeful Scunthorpe were. They looked empty, even Shields, who I like from his time here, looked like a shadow of himself. Although, unlike others, he actually tried a lot more and did put in effort.

From the Notts perspective, it was just very routine and straight forward. There wasn't much of an issue for our defence, no real threat and everything was like a stroll on a Sunday morning. Ironically, they defended quite well at times but having 11 players try to stop a side that's already 2-0 up isn't going to end any better. We could've easily won 5-0, if not more.

To say, we were concerned about the level of fitness and who would be available - it shows that we really hadn't worried.

I am hearing that their fans started ripping seats out of the Jimmy Sirrel stand, not the behaviour you would expect. It's quite disrespectful, if they want to take their anger out of someone, they should look at their club first.

My man of the match would've been Rodrigues. I said this before half-time to @callum2569.

He played very well, communicating with the players and trying to lift them - whilst he actually passed the ball in positions where he perhaps should've shot himself. It was just a superb performance.

Langstaff did brilliantly, as did Jim O'Brien. Those three were head and shoulders above the rest of the squad for me, however it was a brilliant team performance and nobody rested or had a day off.

• Like 4

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  382
  • Days Won:  8

Great win, great crowd. Downside Wrexham winning but can't do anything but keep chasing

• Like 2

i think they were poor but i dont think that takes anything away from the way we played, notts looked a far better class than them. they looked uninterested and like a side not wanting to play as a team. it was honestly one of the worst away performances at meadow lane this season.

we should have sealed the 4 goals we won by in the first half.

call them the iron? more like a chocolate tea cup.

• Like 2

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,520
  • Days Won:  9

Notts pulled off a remarkable victory over Scunthorpe, thanks to Chicksen and Langstaff's two outstanding goals that sealed the deal. The team displayed a tenacious and determined attitude right from the outset, with Chicksen's goal in the early stages of the game setting the tone for the rest of the match. Langstaff's 39th goal of the season was truly remarkable, and it was a proud moment for fans to witness him equal the club record. As the season nears its end, it's crucial that the team keeps up this momentum and works towards closing the gap to Wrexham even with it being unlikely they will be caught.

After last week's draw at Barnet, I was a bit apprehensive about our team's chances against Scunthorpe. However, I was relieved and proud to see them put on a strong performance. Chicksen's goal in the early minutes was a brilliant way to set the tone for the match and gave us the momentum we needed. Langstaff's two goals were well-deserved and highlighted his exceptional goal-scoring skills. Scoring 101 league goals this season is a remarkable achievement and reflects the offensive capabilities of our team. Although we're still three points behind Wrexham, if we continue to play with this level of determination, I believe we have a strong chance of catching up. COYP!

• Like 2

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I was feeling optimistic about the game before it started, but I am not a fan of cheap ticket days because it brings in people who are clueless or rude. Unfortunately, I was seated near a group of teenagers who were a few years younger than me, and they were extremely unpleasant. I wouldn't usually comment on this, but I couldn't move away from them.

Despite that, Notts County started the game with a lot of purpose, and it didn't seem like there were two teams on the pitch. Scunthorpe had a handful of players who turned up, but most of them didn't seem bothered at all.

The first goal was well deserved and came from some lovely passing, with Rodrigues making room and his run forward paid off. In recent months, Nemane has become more involved in the squad, and he works well with Rodrigues. O'Brien played his role superbly, going forward while also fulfilling his defensive duties to keep everyone calm. The second goal came from the relentless pressure Notts put on Scunthorpe, making it hard for them to respond.

Scunthorpe came across as quite physical and reckless at times, grabbing Rawlinson's shirt and lashing out. The high foot was so late that, in my opinion, it deserved a red card.

The game was wrapped up in the first 45 minutes, with the second half delivering two good goals and some funny moments. First, their captain sulked off the pitch and he spent the rest of the game throwing his toys out of the pram. Did they miss his presence? Not one bit. Secondly, their fans who started leaving once the third goal went in, and even more when the fourth was scored. I have to say, their keeper had some awful kicking techniques, and he didn't make a single good ball for them. That leaves me to praise Mair, who I was nervous about when he came on, but credit to him, he had little to do and little to go wrong with. I have faith in him and Luke Williams.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Can't really add to what's already been said it was a very impressive and comfortable win. Couldn't have picked a better day for the community day, did we pay a fee to Scunny to make us look like prime Barca?! That'll really help sway those new and younger first time fans to come back!

And Macca's equals a club record. I didn't see it coming at the start of the season but as the games have gone on it seemed more and more likely. I'll be amazed if he doesn't break that and the NL goal scoring record now. I'm just glad he's in contract, that price tag just keeps climbing. I'm sure lot's of clubs want him but they'll have to pay a really good fee for the privilege.

• Like 2

@menzinho With six games left to play, Langstaff has ample time to achieve a record-breaking feat that would stand out as one of the few major accomplishments accomplished during this campaign. The prospect of such a remarkable achievement can inspire Langstaff to continue to work tirelessly towards the goal. It is a chance for Langstaff to leave a mark and make a lasting impression, not only on the team but also on the sport itself. With determination, dedication, and hard work, Langstaff can surpass previous records and set new ones that will be remembered for years to come. This is a moment to seize and make the most of, and Langstaff is well-positioned to take full advantage of it.