Notts County: Players Out of Contract at the End of the Season

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

In June, all the following players will be out of contract. It is a key point in the season right now, so which of the players do you want to see be renewed? What length would you offer and why, if any, would you allow them to run out?

Sam Slocombe
Kyle Cameron
Connell Rawlinson
Adam Chicksen
Jim O'Brien
Frank Vincent
Aaron Nemane
Ruben Rodrigues

• Like 5

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,506
  • Days Won:  287

Whatever happens this season, we need to keep the summer changes to a minimum. A smattering of fresh faces keeps everyone on their toes, but we should avoid a situation where we're replacing six or seven first-team players.

Looking at that list, I could imagine that O'Brien is considering hanging up his boots and I wouldn't be surprised if Vincent is looking at moving for more first team action. I'd offer all the others a contract. A couple might well receive an offer they can't refuse - Rodders clearly loves the club, but will certainly have offers and might be tempted by a League One club. Can imagine that Chicksen and Cameron have admirers too. That said, I don't think all of them will leave even if we don't go up.

• Like 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,368
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Sam Slocombe - Keep (Offer a standard 2-year-deal)
Kyle Cameron - Keep (Off a 2-year-deal with the option to extend to a third)
Connell Rawlinson - Keep (Offer a rolling one-year-deal)
Adam Chicksen - Keep (Offer a standard 3-year-deal)
Jim O'Brien - Keep (Offer a one-year-deal)
Frank Vincent - Keep (Offer a one-year-deal)
Aaron Nemane - Keep (Offer a 2-year deal)
Ruben Rodrigues - Keep (Offer a 3-year-deal)

There have been rumours that Jim O'Brien will retire at the end of this season. I am of the opinion that he will continue to be an important player. Just as a rotational/occasional starter, as I do think people who say he has nothing to offer and is 'past it' are wrong. I mean, some of these most likely wanted Michael Doyle to be given a 5-year-deal at the age of 39. I just think his experience would be useful, especially if we are to return to League Two. Heck, I might be being slightly nostalgic, but I think it would come full circle with his time here.

Sam Slocombe, Kyle Cameron, Adam Chicksen, Aaron Nemane and Ruben Rodrigues are all key, core players. Players that fit our system, they know what we are aiming for and are a collective part of the reason why we're in a promotion race.

Slocombe is fine for another 2 years, at 34 I doubt we could sign a better experienced keeper.

Cameron and Ruben are two key areas of our squad, areas which have improved a lot under their time here.

Nemane has shined in the replacement of Cal Roberts, it would be hard to see us find a strong replacement if he decided to leave.

Rawlinson is a difficult one because there's been times when he looked like he wasn't going to feature much, but I do think he's a good player. I can imagine we will be looking to sign another CB, so that would leave him fighting for a starting position and further down the pecking order.

Vincent's time might have sailed, I wished we could get the player that came in during the time Roberts was out sidelined. He looked effective going forward, he moved and linked, floating around the pitch in a way that made me look increasingly dangerous by the touch. The issue is, he last his place and then ended up being shipped out on loan. I think the truth behind Ed Francis being pushed out, is so that Luke Williams can give Vincent a spell to see if he's worth retaining. We haven't actually seen him do much, though he's tried and despite this I still think he could prove himself to be worthwhile.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

Sam Slocombe - keep
Kyle Cameron - keep
Connell Rawlinson - maybe
Adam Chicksen - keep
Jim O'Brien - maybe
Frank Vincent - let go
Aaron Nemane - keep
Ruben Rodrigues - keep

i would let frank vincent go personally, i think we could find more consistent players who would thrive more in our midfield. rawlinson and o brien are a maybe, i think both are good players but neither would be automatic starters and they would need to be content with being a backup option. the rest are all key players who we need to get sorted asap.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,789
  • Days Won:  27

In my opinion, I believe that offering the current squad new deals would be the best course of action. Some players seem settled and are likely to stay regardless of the outcome of this season. However, for players like Rodrigues, it may be beneficial to wait and see what other offers come in before accepting anything.

The team only requires minor improvements, and therefore, it's crucial to keep hold of the majority of the players. Retaining players would not only bring stability but also continuity in the team. Furthermore, with time, the team can develop and grow together, leading to even better results in the future.

I have faith in O'Brien's abilities and believe that he has more to offer. It's essential to recognise and nurture the potential in each player to achieve maximum results. By keeping the team together and working on the areas that require improvement, the team can build on their success and become even stronger in the future.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

Yeah, I agree mate. I reckon that all the players will be offered new deals, but it's hard to predict who will re-sign and who won't. It'll probably come down to whether we secure promotion or not, as some of the lads might want to move up a level if given the chance.

However, I do have a feeling that Jim O'Brien might call it a day at the end of the season. He's been a top player for us, but he's getting on a bit now and I think he might want to focus on other things in life. It'll be a shame to see him go, but I'm sure we'll all wish him the best for the future.

• Like 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,514
  • Days Won:  15

For the first time in many years, I feel that the manager's decision will solely reflect on his judgment to further improve the squad. Personally, I think all the players should be offered a new deal. In my opinion, there isn't anyone who we should allow to leave. Even Frank Vincent and Jim O'Brien, who may have their doubters, I believe they still have something valuable to offer the team. It's important to give them the opportunity to continue developing with the club and contributing to our success.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

In my opinion, if Jim O'Brien is willing to stay at Notts County for another season, we should offer him a one-year deal and evaluate his performance from there. Overall, he has been quite impressive this season, showing great passion and delivering solid performances when given the opportunity to start or come on from the bench. It is crucial that we keep our key players, and it would be disappointing to see any of them leave. As for Frank Vincent, I'm not entirely sure about his potential, but I wouldn't mind giving him a final season to prove himself.

In terms of Luke Williams, I believe he may wait to see if we can make a return to the Football League. He may think he can get better value for players such as Aaron Nemane, who has been excellent for the most part but still has some areas for improvement.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  702
  • Days Won:  0

I wonder what approach Luke Williams will take and who will stay on. I think there's a good chance of retaining most of the players if the right decisions are made. Notts offers much more than just competitive football, even if we don't secure promotion. Some of these players could build a real legacy here instead of bouncing around from club to club.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,371
  • Days Won:  1

I believe it's important to retain the core of our current squad to maintain the balance and chemistry that has served us so well this season. With several players out of contract at the end of the season, it's imperative that we offer them new deals to keep them at the club.

However, we must also be realistic and acknowledge that not all of these players may choose to stay, especially if we fail to secure promotion to the Football League. Many of our out of contract players have proven themselves at this level and will undoubtedly attract interest from other clubs.

Therefore, we must be prepared for the possibility of losing some of these key players and have contingency plans in place. As a fan, it's disappointing to think about the prospect of losing some of our top performers, but we must trust in the club's ability to rebuild and continue our journey towards success.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392

Sam Slocombe::
He's a good goalkeeper, but he's getting older, so his playing career is in its later stages. If the team gets promoted, I'd keep him. But if not, I'd suggest finding a younger keeper who can grow with the team.

Kyle Cameron:
I don't have much knowledge about Kyle Cameron. It appears that he focuses more on attacking than defending. It may be wise to sign him for two years and pair him with more experienced defenders.

Connell Rawlinson:
I think there are better defenders available even for a backup position, and I would consider letting him go.

Adam Chicksen:
He should have competition and rest sometimes. I've heard good things about him this season. We should offer him another one-year deal at least.

Jim O'Brien:
To be honest, I think it's time to replace him. Keeping him could lead to another player wanting to leave, which isn't good.

Frank Vincent:
He's a good player who hasn't had much luck, but I think he deserves another chance with more game time.

Aaron Nemane:
He doesn't seem to defend well and was missing for Wrexham's second goal. He's created chances, but other clubs may want him and Notts might not be able to compete.

Ruben Rodrigues:
He's a good player, but sometimes he's given too much credit. He's still worth keeping to see if we can get some money back if a bigger team becomes interested.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  4

Well, that’s quite the list of players who will be out of contract in June. It’s definitely a crucial time for the team to make some decisions. As for which players should be renewed, it really depends on their performance and contribution to the team. Each player brings something unique to the table, so it’s important to carefully consider their individual strengths and weaknesses before making any decisions. And hey, speaking of teams, I see an American County fan here!

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,114
  • Days Won:  54

Ed Francis and Kairo Mitchell are out of contract too. I think both would struggle to get game time next season especially if we are back in L2, so for the good of their careers I think moving on would be best.

I’d sign JO’B for another year, and I’d give swimming the Atlantic a go if it got Ruben to stay for another year too!

All the others on two-year deals, the only one I’d have to really think about is Vincent. I like him but I think the club will move him on, in the knowledge they’ve identified someone better. He’s left footed and energetic and given the departure of Taylor I get why he’s suddenly found himself at LWB since coming back but could this actually be a role he could flourish in? He’s got all the attributes, given specific defensive guidance and training I think he could.

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  5

Ed Francis's existing deal runs out at the end of May. I can see the club moving on and allowing him to leave. He hasn't been the same player since Michael Doyle left. I think Doyle managed to inspire him, though some say he's too lightweight. I have always felt he had potential. I still do; I just feel he hasn't shown enough, and he will improve with a fresh challenge.

I would offer Connell Rawlinson and Jim O'Brien a year deal.

The rest need to be talked into longer contracts, as they're vital team members.

• Like 1