Match Discussion: Game 3 - The Shrimps (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

Game 3 - The Shrimps (A)

Team: Morecambe

Date: 15/08/2023

Where: Mazuma Stadium

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Morecambe away on a Tuesday night in August is much better than Morecambe away in November. Morecambe won their opening home game 2-1 against Walsall. They were the better side for nearly all of the game. They were beat 3-0 at Mansfield. They could have taken the lead early but once Mansfield got going, they were unstoppable. Mansfield are a quality side.

The Pies looked excellent going forward against Grimsby. The defence was better than it was at Sutton. I doubt this game will end 0-0. 2-2 draw I reckon. 

• Like 10

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's still very early days and what we have seen so far is, anyone can beat anyone right now.

Defensively, I hope Notts cuts out the mistakes with back passing and rushing passes to players who may lose the ball. We need to pass in a way those who are the intended target don't have to worry about being marked. Passing into space makes so much more sense, than passing back just because the opposition is pressing. If we are being forced to make passes, it's highly likely that mistakes will occur.

I think we need to hold the ball well in order to get a good result against Morecambe.

John Bostock and Matt Palmer playing in such a way that it opens up the channels could allow Jodi Jones/Adam Chicksen/Aaron Nemane/ whoever our wing backs may be to take a direct approach to getting crosses into their area.

We look a lot more comfortable this season with taking shots from outside the box, so if Morecambe make it difficult to get clear chances inside their penalty box, I would hope we try to open up space outside the d and try efforts from further away. Notts just needs to move the ball around differently, so that Morecambe don't get a chance to adapt. I think the win against Grimsby will be a big boost and I do think the game will be another test.

I think a draw is highly likely, maybe 1-1.

• Like 9

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

its going to be interesting to see if we play with confidence or if we still seem to have those early day jitters.

i am hoping we can get macaulay langstaff on the score sheet, as he becomes a constant threat once he has scored and so far hes had chances. hes just been unlucky to connect well enough to put the ball in the back of the net.

i think this is the type of game where starting cedwyn scott could benefit our front line.

hopefully luke williams will explore this option, along with getting david mcgoldrick playing just behind langstaff but allowing him to drop deeper to pick the ball up from matt palmer or john bostock.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

I am hoping the win gives the team confidence to move forward from here, the first win is important but so is protecting it when you do win. I don't know if Luke Williams will get the same level of performance, but I do wish from a defensive point of view that we don't gift any goals. We need to make it harder, make teams work to score, but I do see the game being open. A draw is probably a fair call at this stage.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  10
  • Days Won:  0

A win always will give confidence and it was the way we turned things around after that prolific volley from Mr Bostock. The positive feel around the Lane fed back to the players and hey presto they battled for the win right to the very end. I don't know about anyone else but the feeling was we have got this. Even Luke said he had got his team back. Tonight will be another test and I think the boys will rise to the occasion, COYP.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,454
  • Days Won:  5

Morecambe seemed to be quite disorganized when they played Mansfield, they appeared to struggle as Mansfield went on the attack. I don't think they will be easy, and I also anticipate that they will try to use the home advantage against us. I am hoping for a favourable result, as moving up the league would boost the players' confidence. Maintaining an unbeaten run also provides assistance, so I would suggest avoiding defeat at all costs.

• Like 7

📣We are live! Please help get this out onto social media by sharing the Match Discussions URL. 💬 👏🏻🏴🏳

The Pride of Nottingham match discussion is now live.

Updates to this discussion will be displayed instantly until the final outcome is revealed. We ask fans that are able to tune into the BBC Radio Nottingham coverage or the official live steam to come back to share their thoughts throughout the game against Morecambe.

If this proves to be enjoyable for fans and is supported, we will look to continue this throughout the season.

Have fun discussing the moments but be mindful: some comments may occur due to the heat of the moment and shouldn't be taken the wrong way. The Admin team are confident this will be a fun experience, so please just enjoy it.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

I feel a bit nervous as we are approaching, and I am also hoping that the Grimsby win propels our team towards back-to-back victories. The first win away from home is important, but with Morecambe being a strong League Two team, they may present challenges. Every team at this stage is unfamiliar to us, but I think Luke Williams will have the right approach.

• Like 7

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,376
  • Days Won:  17
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The win has to be the objective, I am sure Morecambe will be in the vicinity of the playoffs, but if we are to overcome the disappointment of the opening game against Sutton United, securing a victory is imperative. We must play in a manner that demonstrates we have recovered from the setbacks and are determined not only to make comebacks against teams at home, but also to secure vital points on the road. I am eagerly anticipating the game and its outcome. Whatever transpires, I will accept it and move forward.

• Like 5

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,483
  • Days Won:  9

I don't want to underestimate Morecambe. At this stage, every team is capable of defeating anyone, and each club is striving to find their form. The positive aspect for us is entering this match with a strong showing at Meadow Lane, and the players are aware that we support them throughout their time on the pitch. Although Morecambe experienced a loss against Mansfield, they are playing at home and will be determined to avoid a repeat of that outcome.

• Like 3

The team line-up has been announced.

Stone

Baldwin,    Cameron,    Chicksen

Jones                             Nemane

O'Brien

Crowley,        Palmer

Langstaff,        McGoldrick

h5jiaZp.jpg

• Like 4

• Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Come on Notts, we can do this. 

• Like 3

Supporter+

Lots of possession early on.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

Nearly took the lead with David McGoldrick, extended his foot but couldn't quite make contact. Aaron Nemane is causing issues on the flanks.

• Like 5

Supporter+
Just now, Joshua said:

Nearly took the lead with David McGoldrick, extended his foot but couldn't quite make contact. Aaron Nemane is causing issues on the flanks.

Good chance that, he should have scored.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

@Fan of Big Tone it was quite the stretch for him, very good ball by nemane. they almost scored, no idea what was going on. mellon put wide of stones post.

they are coming more into the game.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  862
  • Days Won:  1

It appears to be end-to-end now that Morecambe has a sense of how Notts are playing. It sounded like they might be content to allow us to control more of the football, but they have gradually regained their foothold in the match. Kyle Cameron needs to compose himself, as he's made a couple of mistakes, and we can't afford for a blunder to be our downfall. Up to this point, there's not much that distinguishes us from Morecambe, but we are generating some promising opportunities.

• Like 3

Supporter+

Two good chances from Langstaff and Jones and now another shot off target fro McGoldrick.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Half time, I’m watching the stream, we’ve had loads of possession but mainly passing it around on the half way line, it’s almost if we’d come for a draw, they need to up the tempo and get into the Morecambe half more and create some chances.

• Like 1

Supporter+

76% possession in the first half.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,376
  • Days Won:  17
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Notts haven't been that poor; we simply need to pose more challenging questions to Morecambe and make them exert greater effort. If we manage to take the lead early in the second half, we might be able to dictate the flow of the game. The momentum seems to be shifting towards Morecambe, as they are becoming more assertive in their attacking efforts. They appear less inclined to play on the counter or take their time; their confidence is growing.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

Notts have struck the crossbar! A highly promising opportunity, but we must persist in our efforts. The team seems to be growing in confidence following that chance, and Jodi Jones is striving to create a breakthrough.

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,102
  • Days Won:  2

Notts County is beginning to resemble the team we are familiar with. Morecambe is now facing intense pressure and is retreating defensively. The required quality is evident. Notts should exercise patience when taking shots at goal. I believe if we manage to score within the next 10 minutes, another goal could potentially follow. We must, however, remain cautious of their counter-attacks.

• Like 1

Supporter+

A lot better second half, we’ve upped the tempo and are looking more likely to score.

• Like 1