Safe standing at Meadow Lane?

DangerousSausage

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

A few of you might have received a survey from the club about a possible new standing area. As I'm only a very rare visitor these days I'm not sure it's my place to take part, but what do you all think?

Personally I much prefer to stand, and I think the lower Kop would be perfect.

• Like 11

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I couldn’t stand for a match and I wouldn’t want to now but I can see how some supporters may wish to stand and I think the kop would be a perfect place.

• Like 12

• Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

if meadow lane were to have safe standing, it would just be a designated area where fans can stand if they want. they might even put in those seats that fold out when you stand in case you do want to take the weight off your feet. personally, i think it could be a good thing especially for generating a zone where the atmosphere might be spot on.

personally, i would want a seat but i trust notts if they were to consider this that they would be a far better job than salford.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Days Won:  2

If Notts were to consider creating a safe standing area for the club, the KOP would be a good place to start. It would also be beneficial to involve the fans, as their feedback could greatly improve the quality of the project. This could include fans who often stand at away games. It’s certainly a worthwhile discussion. My friends and I would definitely prefer to stand with a group of passionate fans, rather than causing annoyance by standing at times to get a better view of the game.

• Like 11

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,095

Yes, I’m fully supportive of this, but it needs to be implemented in a manner that lets the club test it out, bearing in mind that additional enhancements could be made without incurring high costs. It must be executed properly. I envision many supporters wishing to stand in the KOP. The Pavis or Family Stands, which are perhaps less active, might not see as much of this, but the KOPites would definitely be all for it.

• Like 11

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  580

Safe standing has made significant progress since its removal. Football clubs worldwide now have standing areas in their stands, which I believe enhances the social experience. I'd relish the opportunity to stand at Meadow Lane. However, my concern is that the views of older fans or those opposed to it might carry more weight than those of younger supporters or fans who wish to stand.

• Like 11

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  17

I personally wouldn't want to stand anymore. But can understand some fans would like the option and do anyway at the back of the Kop. Maybe an area of the lower Kop could be made available for those who do want to stand. 

• Like 10

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,459
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Safe standing is a contemporary feature of the game that should be reinstated. It was never the problem in the first place, but was merely used as an excuse and was poorly managed. Safety regulations will ensure that fan experiences and a secure environment can coexist at Meadow Lane. I say, let’s bring it on!

• Like 11
  • Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  373
  • Days Won:  0

I’m not bothered either way. I can see good reasons for it and with other clubs choosing to reintroduce some standing areas, it makes sense. Notts should create a specific area for safe standing and then see how it goes. I have heard people calling for Meadow Lane to revert to full standing and that is just silly. You need some seats, if not more than the area for standing would allow.

• Like 8

I totally agree @TheSkipper, standing is perfectly safe if it's managed correctly.

I've been in a safe standing section in an ice hockey stadium, the seats flip back so they're flat and there are rails between each row. Personalty I prefer more traditional terracing, but it's better than nothing and it would be great to have some choice. The bottom part of the Kop would be perfect if it's not too steep.

• Like 9

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I've been involved with fan meetings at the club a number of years ago, where this was a frequent point raised by portions of those who were attending, and it always came down to the cost. Two fans of which would always speak about how it would pay for itself eventually. I even suggested that the club could seek help from fans who are builders, who could work with trained volunteers to reduce the costs.

The difference is, we now have smarter owners who understand the benefits and Reedtz having watched games within Europe, will know that it can work, and the expense will pay off with a superb fan experience for those who choose to stand during games.

I'm hopeful the club will introduce safe standing because it has many benefits.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  1,095

On 16/11/2023 at 20:11, DangerousSausage said:

The bottom part of the Kop would be perfect if it's not too steep.

The lower KOP, on the Sirrel side, is an excellent location for this to be implemented. A significant number of seats in the first row are already damaged and have been removed. When I noticed this a few matches ago, I speculated that it might be in preparation for the introduction of safe standing. I would prefer to see segmented areas rather than entire sections dedicated to this. Having zones would be acceptable, but I’m curious about how season tickets operate in other countries.

Edited by NottsTastic
  • Like 6

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
9 hours ago, NottsTastic said:

The lower KOP, on the Sirrel side, is an excellent location for this to be implemented.

I agree from what I’ve seen looking across from the Pavis stand that area seems to attract the fans that like to stand, they always seem to be standing, sadly some of them don’t seem to be interested in the game as much as taunting the opposition fans.

• Like 5

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

If it's £20 for a seat, by my logic standing will be half the price surely? Sounds good to me!

I'm sure it'll get a lot of interest, and I'd expect most of it to be for it. It's all done properly now like lots in this thread have commented on. And if it adds even more to the atmosphere it's got to be a big plus.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,897
  • Days Won:  5

I don’t believe that safe standing should automatically lead to cheaper tickets, although it’s a good concept. A slight reduction in price seems fair, but removing 100-200 seats for fans who will pay less doesn’t make financial sense. What does make sense, however, is the enhancement of the atmosphere and camaraderie that safe standing brings.

• Like 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

I stand at the top of the Kop. Still you will get the odd person, particularly when it is full, that will buy one or two tickets at the top of the Kop without realising everybody around them is going to be standing for the entire game. 

Either the top of the Kop, or in the centre of the Kop, is the best place acoustically and in terms of getting other fans to join in. I am fully for the allocation of an area to be safe standing. It will increase the atmosphere and allow for those that do want to stand, to do so without being moaned at by somebody who booked their ticket in the wrong place, or on the odd occasion the stewards decide they're not happy with us standing. 

The placement is key. If they put it at the far end of the pavis next to the family stand, nobody will go. It's Kop or nothing, for me. 

• Like 7

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I’m not concerned about standing. I do stand at some away games, but I don’t think I could commit to standing for a whole season at home. It would depend on whether the area has folding seats, which would be a nice feature. You know, the ones you lean on that save space but offer something to sit on.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CliftonMagpie said:

It would depend on whether the area has folding seats, which would be a nice feature

Safe standing areas do, but if you sit down during the game you won't see very much ;)

On 18/11/2023 at 23:14, menzinho said:

If it's £20 for a seat, by my logic standing will be half the price surely?

I would hope so, but somehow I can't see it. I couldn't see any evidence of lowered prices on Shrewsbury's website. I think about 15 pounds would be reasonable, all things considered. Charging the same as seating would reduce the appeal. Was any light shed on this during the fans' forum?

Personally I prefer having standing areas close to the pitch rather than tucked away in the corner. I'm guessing the club have got their eye on the corner of the Kop closest to the Sirrel stand, as the seats there probably need replacing anyway.

• Like 6

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I don't enjoy standing at games because I can't see over the heads of older people, and I find it inconsiderate when people do so knowing that it will block someone's view. I fully support the idea that anyone standing should be asked to sit down, so having a designated area for them would improve the situation.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  231
  • Days Won:  1

It wouldn’t be suitable to have safe standing in the middle of the KOP or at higher levels. It should be in a location that’s easy to access and safe, away from other areas. A spot behind the goal and upwards wouldn’t be a poor choice. The lower left KOP Pavis side might not be too bad. The same could be applied to the Pavis, on the lower right KOP side.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I can’t stand for long these days, so I’m not bothered and the chances of me getting to Meadow Lane are slim. But when I do finally get back to Nottingham, I’ll choose to sit. However, I do hope that safe standing makes a comeback. There’s no problem with it when done right and fans can choose if they want to stand with others.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,487
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I believe that all Stadia should be allowed to have safe standing areas.

Many away fans stand up in front of their seats anyway, and this obstructs other fans from seeing the game.

But if the clubs do introduce safe standing then the price should be lower like it used to be, but clubs are not keen to lower the price, you can understand why. 

I believe the majority of fans would welcome safe standing areas, so I hope it won't be long before we see our local league clubs make standing available.

• Like 1