Macca to Millwall?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  184
  • Days Won:  0

I can see why some fans are upset. It appears that the club waited for the early bird prices, made Macaulay Langstaff the captain, and then knowingly sold him. Assuming this is true, I find this business practice shocking. Regardless of the potential price, this behaviour is negative and affects our fan base.

An offer of £700,000 is far too low. What happened to the £2,000,000 bid that was reportedly turned down?

There are some inconsistencies here, so it might be nothing. However, it would be beneficial if Langstaff stays. I understand that money can be reinvested, but the entire situation with the captaincy and the rejected bid, coupled with potential movement after the cheaper season tickets are sold and the reported numbers are high, seems misleading. This is not what you’d expect from a club that claims to understand its fans.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  567
  • Days Won:  2

Macca will only depart if the club chooses to sell him. If Notts has accepted a bid for him as low as £700,000, I would be quite upset, regardless of any potential add-ons. There’s no urgency to sell him, so Notts might be making a significant error ahead of what looked like a promising season. We’ve allowed Kyle Cameron to go out on loan, which is fine. However, selling Tiernan Brooks, who was earmarked as our future number one without giving him a chance, and the potential sale of one of our top players, is quite negative.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@True Magpie

I agree, I was thinking on the same lines last night 

Waiting for the season ticket renewals to be almost complete would appear to be a cynical move by the Club if it's true that Macca has been sold and for a very low price too. 

To me if it's true, that price is an insult.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

macaulay langstaff will be sold at some point, ahead of a season that has given some promise makes things feel a bit false if he is to leave notts like this. i would not blame langstaff but i would feel notts made a mistake in the process of conducting the sale. you dont make someone likely to leave become the captain.

lets hope that this is all just false news, but i feel that the negatives of the information might just be something that grows. its a shame because things seemed very promising until now.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

I've heard that medical has been completed by Macca at Milwall with the fee as many have said on this thread to be around the £700k mark with add ons included and will be announced tomorrow at some point.

It's obviously disappointing to see Macca depart, especially considering he was given the captaincy thought for sure he would have stayed given that responsibility. Maybe the whole giving him the captaincy was to run the price up but that wouldn't make sense considering the fee of £700k doing the rounds is lower than the £2million many of us were expecting to be the region. 

• Like 5

• Content Count:  184

The offer might not even amount to £700,000; it could be more. However, I suspect it will likely end up being labelled as undisclosed. A competent reporter in the Notts area might be able to make an educated guess about the fee. This is, of course, assuming that the deal is finalised and set to go ahead.

• Like 9

• Content Count:  1,701
  • Days Won:  36

Poor timing by the club if true but personally i do feel it’s good business to sell now and I can understand the fee as he is unproven at the level. If he is a success, I suspect the add ons to be substantial and I would expect a sell on clause to be included.

I doubt he will be successful as it is a whole different level against far superior defenders, and I hope I’m wrong but I can see him only getting a dozen or so goals.

I’m now more bothered about the holes opening up in our squad that need filling fast. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Well first of all let’s see if it’s true, if it is the £700,000 is very disappointing and I agree that the club have probably deliberately delayed to get the season ticket sales in the bag.

However let’s not jump the gun, I await official confirmation.

• Like 5

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  74
  • Days Won:  6

I very much doubt most of the negative comments are true. I'd be amazed if we turned down an offer of £2m and even more amazed if we received one. For that money, you can pick up a proven player (free agent, £20k pw salary for 2 years). 

I really don't think Notts under the current owners would play games like that regarding ticket sales either. They have always said they are not looking to sell unless the deal is right. They can't control when a club makes a bid or when Macca decides it one he's interested in.

If he goes, good luck to him. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Supporter+
1 hour ago, Simon Clark said:

They can't control when a club makes a bid or when Macca decides it one he's interested in.

If he goes, good luck to him. 

Notts can control the narrative when he's has 3 years left on his contract. Of course we don't want an unhappy player, but the interests of the club has to come first.

• Content Count:  74
  • Days Won:  6

Absolutely correct, @Robbie but look at what happened when Chesterfield scuppered Tshimanga's move to Birmingham. You could end up with a highly paid player who stops playing.

Plus, there may well be a release clause in the contract so if that figure is meet, we can't do anything about it.

• Content Count:  1,086

It’s disappointing to see the club make him the captain, not include him in any of the kit releases, and then sell him once the season ticket sales at reduced prices are over. I’m quite upset to see the club handle it this way.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Supporter+

I'm pleased for Macca that he will play in the Championship, and he will always be a Notts icon, and he will be fondly remembered for what he achieved personally while he was at Notts, and what he did in helping Notts get back to where they belong, the football League, but I am a bit disappointed with Notts for how they have handled all of this.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  567

This is a massive own goal by Notts. It’s not the proper way to handle the sale of a player. Macaulay Langstaff should never have been appointed as the captain. The club made those sales pushes, and now we are left with nothing but negativity due to this poor management.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i certainly can see why fans feel this has been handled poorly by the club. i think in hindsight notts wanted to get fans on side for the new season, appointed macca as the captain prematurely. they should have waited for the pre-season to begin and then they might have seen if any bids did come in.

it looks bad for notts at the moment.

i wish macaulay langstaff all the best, hes been an incredible player for us and its been brilliant watching him score for us. he will be a hard player to replace but we do have the memory. we now know slightly how it felt for gateshead fans.

• Like 7

Supporter+

@liampie

@DeadlyMacca

I agree with your sentiments.

Notts have already produced and released a tribute to Macca so they knew this may have been in the works for several days, yet they made him Captain to give the fans the impression he was staying to get those season tickets sold.

It doesn't look good for fan relations at all I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

We knew this would eventually be the outcome he’s just too good to be in league 2, if we’d been promoted it might have been different, it’s disappointing how the club have handled it but we have to move on, I’ll be watching his career with interest.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  1

Posted (edited)

Reported fee of £ 700 000 is far too low, especially given their relitevely fresh statement of not selling key players unless they are offered silly money.

Wish him the very best. Great player, great personality.

Edited by Morten Johansen
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I hope there are conditions in place, such as if he scores a certain number of goals or performs well during his time, that would increase the reported fee paid. The fee seems incredibly low, and I believe it would have been more beneficial to let his contract run down and see what unfolds. If we had achieved promotion, he might have helped us secure much more. However, it’s been a fantastic journey watching someone like him excel for Notts. It’s a refreshing change, and I hope they value what they have in him and encourage Macca to perform at his best.

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

We must deal with the disappointment and negative emotions, but Notts has certainly mishandled this situation. They must be aware that fans will be deeply affected and it unfairly toys with our hopes, which they should never do. The fact that we will eventually move on doesn’t justify their actions, but we will indeed move on. Notts will undoubtedly overlook how they managed this situation.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

I’ve seen many talented players come and go. While I’m disappointed, I’m mostly proud. I’m proud to have witnessed a fantastic striker like Macaulay Langstaff work tirelessly for this club. I commend him for proudly wearing our colours and doing everything he could to help us achieve a respectable position in League Two. He’s an excellent player, and I hope he continues to excel.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  77

I don’t have the luxury of dwelling on how his departure came about. It’s a done deal, and I’ve come to terms with it. It’s better that we received something in return for him, rather than letting a talented player leave for free. We’ve lost many players without receiving any compensation, players we should have sold when the timing was right. Perhaps now isn’t the ideal time, but it’s happened. We need to accept it and wish him the best.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  493
  • Days Won:  1

I’m not concerned about the decisions that led to his sale. My focus is on seeing Notts improve. With some funds available, the club could significantly bolster our first team. Of course, I’m saddened to see Macaulay Langstaff leave, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

• Like 5

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

It was inevitable that Langstaff would eventually be sold to a team higher up the divisions than us. He's been remarkable over the past 2 seasons, 71 goals in 97 games is an outstanding record irrelevant of level it's played at. Thought for sure that when he was given the armband, we'd at least have him for at least one more season. I hope that the fee for Macca is higher than is being reported or there are some decent add ons to go with the deal. But, I'm sure the owners have a player or 2 in mind to potentially come in as a replacement.

All that's left to do now is watch a Macca goal compilation and wish him all the best going forward. 🫡

• Like 2