The Notts County Squad 2024/25

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  153
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

With the recent outgoings the Notts senior Squad is down to twenty players & included in that squad is three goalkeepers.

So now Notts have a total of just seventeen senior outfield players to start the season. In my opinion that makes the squad thin on the ground to say the lesst.

It seems to me that Notts need another five more senior players to make our squad strong enough to challenge for promotion next season.

I believe Notts need two further defenders, a right sided wing back, and two attacking midfielders, to take the squad number up to twenty five players, plus the juniors 

Do you think we need more additions to the Notts squad, if so,  in what positions do you think we need additional players, is the squad strong enough to challenge for honours next season?

• Like 15
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  28
  • Days Won:  0

Definitely agree Robbie, I think I bore everyone I speak to about the current squad numbers being very thin on the ground.

I also agree with maybe another defender and midfielder but would like to see a new striker, as I do not have much confidence in Junior Morias.

• Like 14

Supporter+

@Pies79 To be fair to Junior has hasn't had much opportunity to shine being down the pecking order. He's pretty fast on the ground so he could be used as a winger, then get another striker in.

I spoke just after the season finished that the three promoted teams proved that a large strong squad is essential in League 2.

Notts only need 3 or 4 players to pick up injuries and they will struggle to fill a substitutes bench.

Palmer & Scott have not yet proved that they are the same players after long term injury, so that's a worry too 

• Like 8

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Junior Morias impressed me when he had cameo appearances, it left me asking why we don't see him more but with the options we have it would always be difficult to feature him. Now, Macaulay Langstaff has departed it does present the chance where he could feature more - provided the club doesn't deem the void left needing to be filled. I think some of the criticism for Morias comes from him missing so much due to injuries (although I am dubious he was actually injured).

We need more depth, I do hope that we don't rely on signing just trialists. It would be a smart choice to continue the strong recruitment, so we can add further quality and depth, with the trialist becoming signings of 'potential'.

I don't want to use the term 'squad members' because I feel the way we are building, any player could get a chance to play. It's important we make the competition for first team places down to performances.

• Like 5
  • Love 9

• Robbie changed the title to The Notts County Squad 2024/25

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i dont want to sound like one of those fans with unreasonable expectations, but with the sale of macaulay langstaff we do need some signings which restores the faith and ambition of pushing for promotion from league two. i dont know if its planned to save, reinvest into wages or whatever.

yet if the club could spend 100-200k on bringing in further talent.

i think fans would shut up about langstaff, maybe even get behind stuart maynard more. thing is, clubs will believe we can pay more for players with the sale, so we have to be careful and spend what resources we have carefully. yet it would signify good intentions and go along way to adding further quality to the squad.

• Like 13

Supporter+

Notts County squad so far including Kelan Gordon.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  28

Hopefully based on Notts county's statement that was released when Langstaff was sold, there is still hope of another striker as the statement said

"we have, of course, been factoring his potential departure into our plans as we look to build a highly-competitive squad this summer." 

• Like 12

Supporter+

After our latest friendly with Duisburg where we lost the match in the last 10 minutes after a reasonable display. Notts were leading comfortably for most of the game before the substitutions.

My point is this, Notts are usually very quiet about injuries, but if we do have injuries to players just three weeks till the start of the season, we are painfully thin on squad numbers after several players were released this past Two weeks.

The incomings have seemed to have dried up since the time that Macca left, I'm not saying his leaving has anything to do with the lack of signings, but it does make you think.

We have a senior squad of 21 players and with the rumour that Morias may go, that reduces to 20. 

That's five senior players short and the time to the beginning of the season gets ever closer.

Notts are also trialing players too. Notts need to recruit quality, and usually look at the stats & playing history of players before making a decision on a player first before recruiting them.

Does trialing players reveal that Notts have the info, but are not yet sure of them?

There has to be quality players still available, the transfer window started so positively and with this lull in movement, it's a bit of a cause for concern. 

It maybe that Notts will have to replace Macaulay like for like and spend some money too on players before the start of the season.

• Like 10

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

I imagine the club would be looking to sign some of the trialists we’ve had, while also hoping for more activity from other clubs in the same situation. Notts might also be watching to see if any team’s signings make an existing player more accessible. There are still positions and depth that need to be filled, and the departure of players has created room for improvements to the overall squad. I think that’s why we’ve seen some players released by mutual consent.

• Like 11

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

For me, the ideal squad size would be 25-26 experienced players, with the remainder being young players. There will be ample opportunities for the younger squad members to gain experience in cup games. I believe we need to prioritise featuring them in the EFL trophy. The recent departures have given us some flexibility, and I hope we continue to strengthen our squad.

By January, we should be well-positioned to further bolster our team and use some of the transfer fee from Macaulay Langstaff to propel us further if we are in a good position. Whether we are close to the playoffs, in them, or even higher - yes, let’s use the January window to become stronger.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  381

Last season, Notts suffered due to having a small squad. There were instances when we could have given a chance to some of the younger players, but instead, we waited to bring in new recruits. I would prefer a squad large enough to allow for rotation and occasional breaks for some players. I don’t see the point in naming anyone who is unlikely to play, so there’s scope to expand the squad.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  269
  • Days Won:  1

It’s delightful to see the beginning of a career for a young player. Signing a professional contract must be a dream come true, and it would be lovely to see him do well, even if he just passes through Notts.

I’d like to see a larger squad with more depth. In time, it would be nice to see players like James Sanderson, Ryley Reynolds, and others, but this may take time and seasons for them to fully blossom into regular starters, if the club could be bold enough to provide that opportunity.

This doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want them to get game time. Having a larger squad simply means you have cover and players who can rotate, and I do think there’s room for a few more signings.

• Like 8

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,287
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Our squad currently

GK - Bass, Slocombe

RWB - Nemane, Gordon 

CB - Platt, Bedeau, Macari, McDonald, Cundy

LWB - Jones, Tsaroulla, Chicksen

CM - Palmer, Robertson, Hinchy, Edwards

CAM - Crowley, Austin

ST - Jatta, Scott, McGoldrick

Plus Stone, Reynolds, Sanderson, Gill, Cisse

Then the squad and where everyone can cover

Screenshot_20240726_185614_Samsung Notes.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Supporter+

The squad looks to be almost complete with plenty of cover in every area of the pitch.

Stuart has used Jodi on the right wing back position a few times, so I'm wondering if Jodi could cover there in an emergency.

I also think Dan Crowley could be used as a striker too if need be, although I would be more comfortable if Notts did bring in an extra experienced striker.

It appears that Sam is going to be the second goalkeeper. Aiden has stayed under the radar, but with an improved defence, he may perform much better if given the chance.

All in all I think we have a squad to challenge at least for the playoffs next season. The first half dozen games will be key to get off to a good start.

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,662
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

The telling thing is that Aiden is still with Notts.. despite other clubs naming new keepers in the last few days

I still cant believe we got the keeper so wrong last season... not forgetting Slocombe freezing at Wembley for 10 minutes..and getting a new contract. Madness

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  172

I’m hoping for a striker, another attacking midfielder, and possibly another winger to join our ranks. The recent standard has been a bit lacklustre, and I believe a couple of quality signings could boost my confidence. I’m not too worried about our defence; I think we’ll be solid once the season kicks off. However, I do have some reservations about Robbie Cundy; he needs time to acclimatise.

• Like 8

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

With the departure of Macaulay Langstaff and now Junior Morias, our striker department is weaker. I’m somewhat disappointed that we let Morias go. If he’s not up to the mark, then his departure should be permanent and a replacement should be brought in. Morias might have had more playing time, but I wouldn’t fault him if he requested the move back to Dagenham & Redbridge. This leaves us in need of a few more players. I’d like another winger to give us more options alongside Jodi Jones. I’m uncertain if we’ll get the same performance from Adam Chicksen as we have in the past, and if the fans’ forum comments about Jones playing further up the field will work out. We’d need someone to cover, as we only have two left-sided wingers. An attacking midfielder would be beneficial, but I don’t think the club will sign many more players who are guaranteed to start or be in close competition for those places.

• Like 7

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  54

I don't think the squad is too far away now, I think the fact Morias has departed means another attacker will be signed and then I'm actually struggling to think what other position we need to sign a player for!

We don't have the budget to do a Stockport/Wrexham and have a big squad. If we replace Morias that would give us a squad of 23 (excluding the youngsters). I think that's fine to be honest, I’d rather have a slightly smaller squad with quality players that can play more than just the one position - which is what we have done (hopefully!). 

Yes we are going to get injuries but we’d have to have some sort of voodoo curse if 3 players end up suffering season ending injuries before the winter again!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  561

I hope we sign a striker, as we're short up front, but the squad looks promising.

• Like 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,454
  • Days Won:  5

While there’s scope for more players, I anticipate that the new signings will likely be more of squad players rather than first-team competitors. I’m fine with this, as long as we sign a striker. We’re quite thin in that area, and a good signing would boost our confidence.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  510

It’s old news, but I’m surprised that Alex Kirk hasn’t found a club. I wonder if Bromley will pick him up? Their manager has said they would like him back. As for us, I would like a striker and an attacking midfielder. If the club could recruit two exciting players for these positions, I think we would have a strong squad to fight for promotion.

https://www.vavel.com/en/football/2024/05/05/1181673-andy-woodman-wants-to-bring-alex-kirk-back-to-bromley-next-season.html

Some of our fans act like we’re a million miles away. They probably haven’t seen how the team has done in person during pre-season and are judging the results solely.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,319

I think one or two players would be enough to add depth come January. The attacking midfield might need an addition if we are to play two players in this role. Unless Sam Austin gets more game time, the club could use players that offer quality and something different. I don’t think a keeper should be a concern. Alex Bass looks great, and Sam Slocombe is more than capable of covering. Aidan Stone could do better with the level of protection given to Bass against Tranmere.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  534
  • Days Won:  2

I think a striker could make a difference. I want to wait and see how we do, but I think there’s a chance we might strengthen further in the next transfer window. I just hope we can defend more like we did against Tranmere than against Shrewsbury, but I am not worried.

• Like 1