Match Discussion: Game 1 - Super White Army (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

It's been a really tepid game. We look well organised but pose little threat so far. 

• Like 3

Supporter+

I'm happy with this result. A clean sheet and chances to win it late on.

Looking forward to our next match.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I watched on Sky Sports + which had a few teething problems but I’m happy with the performance and the score, we looked solid at the back which is a nice change and we had some good chances.

Things I noticed:

• We seem to have dropped the short corners.
  • Cedwyn Scott has a useful long throw
  • Some of the new signings looked good, Bedau in particular did well

• Like 8

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,132
  • Days Won:  17

A Clean Sheet and a point away from Home against a side some have tipped to do well in League 2  this season. Reasonable Start . Makes you wonder if Macca might have found a way to score. Ah well  he's at Millwall now. Can't understand why Maynard waited until the 83rd minute to bring on McGoldrick, not a lot he could have done in a mere 13 minutes, but he did create a chance from one of Jodi's crosses. Maybe if he'd had had 20 minutes Notts may have sneaked a Win. But one point is certainly better than No Points and it would seem the Defence has tightened up. I see Donny are carrying on from where they left off Last Season, might have a good chance of Automatic Promotion.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

Unfortunately the iFollow replacement was absolutely dreadful and I gave up on it in the second half. However, I thought the new defensive signings looked solid. Bass had little to do but looked competent. As I wrote above, the game was a bit tepid with neither side looking to take risks, but a point on the road is a steady result. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Supporter+

Great support today.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Notts looked solid in defence, with very little trouble from a team full of tall and physical players. Alex Bass looked top-notch, staying calm and composed.

Jodi Jones had a tough time, especially in the first half. He kept getting kicked to the ground, often without the ball, but he handled it well and put in a good effort.

The subs made a difference, leading to a clean sheet and a promising performance.

• Like 6

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,507
  • Days Won:  9

A satisfying opening game, with plenty of room for improvement, like taking more chances, but Notts worked hard. It’s hard not to appreciate our strong defence, solid at the back. We just need to carry the second-half approach through the full 90 minutes. Overall, it’s a very positive start to the season.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

I think the most encouraging thing is how well we defended our box – something we rarely said last season! Platt, Bedeau and Macari were really solid as was Cundy when he came on and we’ve got some real height at the back now. I know it was only the first game but Bass looks like he might just be the keeper we’ve been crying out for, didn’t panic when he came out to claim the crosses.

Crowley was probably the best play on the pitch for me. Not having one of Robertson and Palmer fit (and Edwards being ill) I get especially with Henchy being so new why you’d drop him deeper, but we really missed him in an attacking sense. Austin and Scott struggled to bridge the gap between our midfield and Jatta and Jodi was doubled marked for a lot of the game too. I thought we improved when the subs came on, considering he’s never played with any of his team mates before Grant showed some nice touches and we could’ve won right at the end!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,766
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

A good away point but left with the feeling it was 2 points dropped.

Chicksen / Bedau meant all our play was down the right. I hate it when Chicks chooses to cut in all the time

Bedau passing at times was like Cameron's ... missing the easy pass through the lines

Bass, a competent keeper

• Like 6

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

Unfortunately the iFollow replacement was absolutely dreadful and I gave up on it in the second half. However, I thought the new defensive signings looked solid. Bass had little to do but looked competent. As I wrote above, the game was a bit tepid with neither side looking to take risks, but a point on the road is a steady result. 

Teething issues mate; in fairness a massive logistical undertaking to stream all EFL matches on opening day for the first time ever; Saving me as an expat fan 10£ per game for video coverage though so i'm all for it; hopefully it improves for next time!

• Like 3

• Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

I personally was massively impressed with this Notts showing; for a start it was an absolute game-changer to be able to actually watch the game, missed stall's commentary but minus a few tech glitches for day 1 I was just thrilled to be able to watch on the big telly!

in terms of the game; it was a rare novelty to actually relax when the ball entered our half, Bass for me was top notch, although the bar is set exceptionally low after Aidan Stones sending off in game one last season and a series of goalkeeper errors that resulted in goals conceded. Stuart has clearly made some massive improvements to our defensive shortcomings which were evident after Williams' departure, whilst still keeping a relatively strong attack, granted it could have been better up front but as I say, i'm just thrilled that we kept a clean sheet and no noticeable defensive errors were made, Jatta, Cedwyn & Didzy were good too, didzy on early would have got us 3 points I think but first game of the season showing positive steps on last season, thats all I can ask for.

In Maynard we trust, COYPs!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  367
  • Days Won:  1

The theory that footballers need a couple of weeks training and bedding in with their new teammates as been completely blown out of the window today at Tranmere. Grant fitted in very well in his 10 minutes... Let's hope he carries on. He looks very useful to me.. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think the reason Adam Chicksen started was because he's been here the longest, but I thought he was poor. I don't want to sound clinical, but he looked lost and low on confidence. His crossing wasn't good, but I do understand why he was selected. I hope Stuart Maynard has a talk to him, tells him to train hard but choose someone else for the next game.

Notts performed admirably, displaying a much calmer defensive approach. Tranmere's chances weren't down to bad defending but good opportunities, with some unfortunate bounces/deflections. It was nice seeing the amount of times someone would block the ball or throw themselves in the way. Alex Bass looks the keeper we have wanted for some time, though I will add I have appreciated Sam Slocombe - yet I see Bass as a big upgrade.

The first 45 minutes, I think both teams were still feeling each other out. Both us and Tranmere had good chances, what I will say is Tranmere targetted Jodi Jones which we would expect but the amount of fouls the referee didn't give. Then to gift a soft foul to Tranmere, it was weird but supposedly, from what another fan said at the game, the referee has stepped up from the National League, this being their first EFL game.

Tranmere grabbed, threw, pushed, elbowed, recklessly dived into challenges, which made the first half very difficult.

They played some good stuff, but I got the bully boy team impression and how they wanted us to get frustrated, which never really happened. There was a moment they kicked off over a very fair challenge, to which the ref issued no cards.

I don't feel like we have dropped three points, because I do acknowledge that Tranmere did have some good chances. It's just Bass had a solid game and was commanding his area, not being afraid to put his presence in-between the ball. He really did make things seem very simple, but Tranmere did well. I don't think we did enough to score, I liked the changes made by Stuart Maynard.

I felt in contrast the starting XI looked solid, but the changes did help us open the game and take a stronger grip of it.

Curtis Edwards appears to be in great form, and Jodi Jones displayed remarkable energy despite facing intense marking. Our defence did superbly, but I felt we needed to show more of an edge on goal. We knocked, did well but had few good efforts from distance, and we persisted at times with having attempts that were never going to find the back of the net. Some of which seemed wasted chances, where a pass may have been more creative. I do think this will come with more time and form, way more pluses than negatives. We should be happy, as it's a well-earned clean sheet and point.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

A point away from home is never a bad result. The defence looked solid. Any team would miss Langstaff, but Notts would have won yesterday if he was still at the club. A poacher could be the difference between automatic promotion and the playoffs. A 15 goal striker will make all the difference because we won't concede as many goals as last season. 

• Like 4

• Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

i did not think the game was boring, i thought it was lively but quiet at times. both teams did have chances, i think we looked the better side for most of the game. i wished we had caused more problems for the tranmere keeper, i do not think we really tested him but even though for the opening match you can see the work which has gone into training.

at no point did i think we might be undone by lack of concentration or our own mistake.

if we keep with this i think it will give more freedom in our attack, as we wont be worried about gambling at times.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I wouldn’t have described it boring either, I only watched on the stream but I thought it was a good interesting game. Just because it was 0-0 doesn’t mean it was boring.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  903
  • Days Won:  3

I thought we just needed a bit of luck at times. Jodi Jones was almost marked out of the game, and only his creativity created headaches for Tranmere. A few more shots on target and I am sure the outcome wouldn’t have been a goalless draw. I am very happy with how the squad performed as a whole.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

It was a good game. I thought Tranmere started lively and put our defence under some pressure, but we slowly grew into the game. It became clear that they wanted to break the play down with needless challenges that stopped our momentum.

Notts looked bright but struggled with how Tranmere had set up. Both teams showed class when it came to defending.

I wasn’t bored. In fact, I look forward to the potential of future away games.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

4 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Cedwyn's throw was surprising, it was odd seeing it for the first time but I can understand why Luke Williams just ignored it! *Controversial opinion alert* I think the long-throw is the most overrated tactic in football. So many teams try it, I think they all think they've got the next Rory Delap but the reality is the ball just about reaches the box. Unless you've got a really useless defence it rarely results in a goal these days.

Cedwyn's throw was decent but Tranmere weren't exactly in panic mode over it. I think teams would just be better playing a short throw where you knock it straight back to the thrower to just cross it in!

• Like 1