Match Discussion: Game 6 - The Ravens (A)   Live

PON_News

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

It's always a tough place to go and we don't tend to do well there, but having missed the start I never really doubted that we'd find our way back into the game and take at least a point. Really impressed by the character they showed today - not everything came off, but when we lost the ball we'd be snapping at their heels straight away and often won it back quickly. Hard work pays off, but the assistance from Rick O'Shay was also appreciated :D

Chuffed for Stuart Maynard and the travelling fans. We are top of the league!

• Like 10
  • Love 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,458
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

This is a good stat & Stuart Maynard may have something to do with it.

• Like 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Days Won:  15

Solid performance once those horrible 6 minutes had passed. I don’t know why Cheek always seems likely to score against Notts, but he was outshined in the long run. The penalty couldn’t have come at a better time, and while 4-2 might be misleading based on how Bromley played, there’s no doubt Notts deserved the win. It was a classy performance to come back into the game against a decent team who shouldn’t be written off. Wins like this are important.

• Like 3
  • Love 11

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

The most encouraging thing about that was the team and SM stuck to the plan and played their way into the game. 4 goals at Bromley is mighty impressive. Keeping them to 2 was important. Notts will always score goals and so it proved. 

• Like 6

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,903
  • Days Won:  162

the news in the week that jatta, jodi and crowley were all fit to play was a huge relief, who knew they would come to be the important part of getting a victory over bromley. there was a lot of disappointment when we went down 2-0, i understand it because  the feeling of hope just sunk. it came back when jodi jones got bought down, the referee was very quick to award it which made things lift. it was a good performance in the end.

we worked hard to make sure that as a team we created chances but were able to get back into it. i thought bromley played some good football and made us have to work at it.

• Like 3
  • Love 9

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,902
  • Days Won:  17

Oh boy did we give them a shock. You Super 'Pies. 

• Like 10
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  7,458
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I always knew that Notts could be very dangerous with hitting teams on the break & it looks like Stuart Maynard wants to exploit this to the full.

What a team goal this was.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I felt there was room for more goals. I thought the game might have been more even-sided, but the changes at half-time made a real difference. Seeing Notts go 2 goals down, you might think it’s not going to be our day, but it just took a bit more effort to get level. Then Notts just had to get to grips with Bromley a bit more. It was a good game, very entertaining and enjoyable to watch. Once Notts scored, a second goal looked likely, and once in the lead, it didn’t look like something we would give up. Bromley had some good chances, but Notts were a lot more clinical. It’s games like this, at the end of the season, that make you realise just how important the 3 points are.

• Love 12

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,770
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I think SM got the half time call right. One could see why Cundy was brought in for his height but the second half, showed we function as a team much better with a back 3. Jatta on, preoccupied the Bromley defence giving Notts more room in general to play their passing game. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  277
  • Days Won:  0

No doubt, Stuart Maynard showed a good understanding and reading of the game. Those changes were important. Bromley took some adapting and those goals early on were a major setback, but it never looked to be a costly issue. Bromley were good, but we showed our quality to go forward and get that first goal. Jodi Jones performed very well. The midfield being so focused on getting forward should also overwhelm teams. I thought Matt Palmer was class. So pleased to see him back in the team and his calmness allowed more domination and speed to be used by Dan Crowley and David McGoldrick, who asked questions, made themselves available and ultimately used the ball to punish Bromley. We need to avoid getting carried away. It’s hard work and quality that has taken us to the top, but we need to be spot on if we are to remain there. I am delighted to see us go top. It must feel like a dream for Stuart Maynard. His decisions leading into the second half were spot on!

• Love 11

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

Yeah I totally understood the thinking behind the starting 11, Bromley are a very physical and in past seasons we’ve struggled against them. I think Cundy is one of those who needs the run of games having missed a year of football through injury (he’ll do well to get it through cos Macari, Platt and Bedeau have been solid). From all accounts he was a tad slow to get started but got better as the half went on.

There’s good character to this team and that’s probably what impressed me most because the first 10 minutes was pretty disastrous. Interesting to hear how adamant Andy Woodman was that it wasn’t a penalty, it’s hard to see from the highlights as the picture isn’t that close. I agree it looks a soft one but we had the misfortune of a lot of those type of fouls go against us in our own penalty box last season.

The second half performance was very dominate though and again we fully deserved the victory. Our attacking threat is really good, so much so I’d back us to be able to score a minimum of 2 goals every game right now. We just look so capable and dangerous, long may it continue!

• Like 7
  • Love 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,988
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think it's very easy to get a little carried away, but I think we need to be prepared for a potential bump along the way and if this happens, I think us standing behind the players is vital. Seasons are tough, we're showing great signs and there's everything reason to be excited, but let's enjoy it and try to keep that feel 'good' factor' going.

There are a lot of positive signs, which I don't think we would have pulled off last season but again, we got off to a good start then. Injuries and the loss of Luke Williams really took their toll.

This said, again, I don't think Notts would have come back to win in such a convincing way if this was the 23-24 season. It's possible a point might have been salvaged, but it's even more likely Bromley would have taken hold of the game and dominated. Two crucial goals for them, at such an early point in the game. This could easily have got under our players skin, but credit to them, they kept focused and showed a spirited performance to get us back into it.

I believe Matt Palmer, who has praised the quality we have, his absence was massive, and it's just as much seeing him return. Yet, we have other strong midfielders, all of which offer something different.

Jodi Jones sounded like he took it upon himself to light a match under his teammates, combined with a world-class performance (at this level), he really did prove to be the difference. It was great to hear Dan Crowley, pulling off clever passes and marshalling the back - coming away with the ball to release Jodi and other players.

Stuart Maynard is showing just as much progress, having the squad we have now, and the quality throughout really must help. So, Robbie Cundy didn't quite perform all that well (from comments I have seen), at least it's not costing us and the gaffer is showing that he's not afraid to make changes.

This win will instil a lot of pride within our camp, we need to see the same work levels, and we need to back the players, even when it's difficult. They will fight for results, we need to encourage that.

• Love 10

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,725
  • Days Won:  27

It’s great how the squad handled the setback. Going 2-0 down early in a game is tough, but they fought back to win 4-2. Notts showed a lot of class and determination. It’s pleasing to see the squad support each other and focus on their performances, instead of getting frustrated. I am happy for Stuart Maynard too.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  618
  • Days Won:  1

So many good points have been made about the game. It’s interesting to see them because it shows how we all see the performance differently. The analysis @Piethagoram shared is especially interesting.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,347

Everything you would want to happen did for Notts, except for conceding two goals. It would have been nice for Alex Bass to be able to build on the Accrington game’s clean sheet, but the winning ways do catch on when you feel invincible.

I wouldn’t dwell or complain. The response was superb, and not to settle at 2-2, but to score a third and push for a fourth just shows that the squad doesn’t settle.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  874

Strong signs to come back and retake the lead after being two goals down. I hope we can show this more often but without conceding first. It reminded me somewhat of the Fleetwood game. Just Bromley were poor defensively and Notts more clinical on goal.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  61
  • Days Won:  0

If Notts can keep up these results and continue to figure out teams, then this season could bring real hope. Yes, it’s early days and I won’t get carried away. Coming back from two goals down to win 4-2 is brilliant, but we need to see how we perform against teams like Gillingham, MK Dons, and other promotion favourites.

• Like 1

• Chris unfeatured this topic

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,270
  • Days Won:  80

This match discussion will remain live for another 24 hours, then it will be disabled and allowed to fall into the background. The topic has been unfeatured, to make room for newer content, but we actively encourage members to continue reading and sharing their thoughts. Including responding to any which has already been made, if you feel there's something valid to be sad. 👍🏻

Match Report

Notts Gaffers thoughts on the Bromley win.

Matt Palmer's thoughts on Bromley, starting and the future.

• Love 1