Will Pilks be our No.2 keeper?

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Do you think Pilks will be relied upon as our No.2 Keeper this upcoming season? Do you think he could still cut it within League Two? Would you like to see the club sign an young upcoming keeper or a steady reliable backup?
10996378_10154081779090961_3468062507239

Let's discuss this and see your thoughts on PON to these questions.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

No disrespect to Pilks because when he's been needed he's done the business but I would prefer him to concentrate on coaching and get a good upcoming young keeper to challenge Roy.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

He made some brilliant saves in the charity game at Meadow Lane for the J&J All-Star match but sadly, he made a few errors and we would need to fortify the penalty box to make him able to be used as adequate cover.

Perhaps as the one off backup but nothing more for me.

I don't mean to sound against him but he's earned retirement and I do appreciate all he does for the club. He's proved me wrong before too! I feared when he was between the sticks in the away game at Preston, not last year but the one before. He did well but can he be consistent? I think not.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

I'd prefer to see a youngster brought through but in an emergency I think Pilks can be relied on

Regards Al

You Pies!

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I think an academy lad would need o step up tbh. That or a young gun released from somewhere else. We do need a good backup as we all know Roy isn't going to stay forever. I was a blessing he stayed on for the new season tbh!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

2 words. Emergency Loan. Pilks will be back up and if he or Roy are not available, we can get a keeper on emergency loan, not ideal but it is the cheapest option and I don't expect Roy or Pilks to miss many games.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

He's always been fairly reliable. In an ideal world, I would prefer a young keeper to really push Carroll for his place. Other positions are a higher priority though.

The reserve GK position is a difficult one to fill. It would be good to have competition in the position, but most young keepers (understandably) get sick of spending most of the season on the bench and need first team games for their development. So, providing he is still up to the job, having an owd codger who is happy to put on his boots whenever we need him probably suits us.

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I don't expect Roy or Pilks to miss many games.

Roy will be lucky to get through the season without being suspended, if he carries on like he did last season.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  0

Pilks is passed it, I am sorry to say it but if we had him as our number 2 goal keeper, it would say we are not taking the division as seriously as we should be.

Just like we did not last year after the budget was slashed.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

God I hope not! He's useless now.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,350
  • Days Won:  1

The budget should see room for a replacement, just loan one in from Liverpool and Pilks can relax after. He's a good servant of the club, people should not forget that.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

we might as well put roy carroll up front if pilks is to be our no.2, he needs to be allowed to retire and we need a suitable replacement for fabs.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I would hope he isn't our backup keeper but I an sure he would do a great job if called upon.

• Content Count:  904
  • Days Won:  3

2 words. Emergency Loan. Pilks will be back up and if he or Roy are not available, we can get a keeper on emergency loan, not ideal but it is the cheapest option and I don't expect Roy or Pilks to miss many games.

We cannot rely on an emergency loan, its best to either sign a permanent player or promote one. Problem with promoting will they be good enough? secondly do we have a decent young keeper?

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

haha pilks coaching loach? get him here as our replacement for roy when the big guy retires.

• Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

I doubt if Pilks can teach Roy Carrol much about keeping goal. So if we don't get a new keeper what will he do for us?

This year we will lose Roy for the international call ups and be required to play our matches as normal ( you need 3 players unavailable to postpone a game.)

As both are in the veteran stage where it becomes harder to stay fit and on top form for every game,  injuries take longer to heal, and getting your body to move takes longer they are both a risk.

We need a good 2nd keeper who can play when Roy is not available and maybe  to have  Pilks as a coach/warm up man. and 3rd choice keeper

• Content Count:  91

We nay need a backup keep, Roy is suffering from abdominal pains and declared unfit for Northern Ireland.

Hopefully just a bug.

• Content Count:  117

We need a solid backup, if young means good enough so be it but they must be focused and capable.

Archived