Garry Thompson to Wycombe

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Garry Thompson has signed for Wycombe.

Can't say I'm too disappointed, he's knocking on a bit and I would prefer a Spencer-Murray partnership up front, didn't really rate him on the wing. Plus, Moniz said he wants pace on the wings, and G Thompson does not offer that.

All the best for the future Garry. No doubt he'll score against us. 

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Did his job last year and got goals, but he missed quite a few too and let's remember we were relegated. We need fresh blood. The most worrying thing about all this is the silence in terms of players signing.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Did his job last year and got goals, but he missed quite a few too and let's remember we were relegated. We need fresh blood. The most worrying thing about all this is the silence in terms of players signing.

Ray Trew made some comments on 'the other forum', I'll create a new thread and copy and paste some.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I can see the logic in the decision to let him go. Could nevertheless be a good signing for Wycombe.

Ray Trew made some comments on 'the other forum', I'll create a new thread and copy and paste some.

I've just had another look, the thread seems to have vanished - probably hijacked in good old MAD style. Ray Trew basically said the club are going to reveal the biggest shirt sponsorship deal we've ever signed (bigger than any in League 2 and probably even League 1), Moniz wants a smaller squad but is chasing a couple of pacy wingers, and that we're about to sign a midfielder who will be a real statement of intent. The manager will also be running the rule over a couple of interesting trialists once training begins - he wants to see them in action before offering contracts. There was something about a striker from the Championship too.

It all sounds very interesting, but he has a history of getting carried away and announcing things before they happen. Let's just wait and see.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I can see the logic in the decision to let him go. Could nevertheless be a good signing for Wycombe.

I've just had another look, the thread seems to have vanished - probably hijacked in good old MAD style. Ray Trew basically said the club are going to reveal the biggest shirt sponsorship deal we've ever signed (bigger than any in League 2 and probably even League 1), Moniz wants a smaller squad but is chasing a couple of pacy wingers, and that we're about to sign a midfielder who will be a real statement of intent. The manager will also be running the rule over a couple of interesting trialists once training begins - he wants to see them in action before offering contracts. There was something about a striker from the Championship too.

It all sounds very interesting, but he has a history of getting carried away and announcing things before they happen. Let's just wait and see.

I'll believe it when I see it. As you say RT tends to talk the talk, but not walk the walk.

Wycombe is an interesting choice for GT. I felt they overachieved last season, but signings like GT will only improve their squad. Good luck to him. Owes us nothing.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I'll believe it when I see it. As you say RT tends to talk the talk, but not walk the walk.

Wycombe is an interesting choice for GT. I felt they overachieved last season, but signings like GT will only improve their squad. Good luck to him. Owes us nothing.

Apparently with the sponsor at least the money is in the bank, so that at least should be sorted. Perhaps they want to announce the sponsor when the new shirts are revealed, in order to make a bigger splash. I wonder who it could be though. Maybe the success of the women's team has helped us land a bigger fish. As for the players, players often "agree terms" in summer and then get a better offer from elsewhere, so I won't be getting too excited.

Super Danny Allsopp has collected his statements in a new thread here.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  121
  • Days Won:  1

Mixed feelings, scored some cracking goals but missed some absolute sitters as well. Personally I think he would have been a decent back up striker or someone to bring on with 20 minutes or so left, but if Mr Trew's comments are correct he won't be needed. All the best at Wycombe. 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i think the fact we had not heard anything its to be expected, so i am not really disappointed or bothered.

truth said i think we can replace him quite easy.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Mixed feelings, scored some cracking goals but missed some absolute sitters as well. Personally I think he would have been a decent back up striker or someone to bring on with 20 minutes or so left, but if Mr Trew's comments are correct he won't be needed. All the best at Wycombe. 

I can relate to this also @lewisncfc, I think with his age we could have allowed him to move on without even hoping negations with him. I think that may have cut some of the fans reactions out, especially once they had gotten over the news (had this have happened).

Personally I think he would have ended up more a part player, so I am not disappointed at all.

Yet I do think we could have perhaps done with him, as he does have an eye for a goal and he can put in the perfect pass when he's got the time on the ball. In League Two he could have been another 'leader' but as I say, his age is against him and really, it's probably in both his and Notts to move on at the end of the day. I am surprised to see him join a side which will mostly have him as a key player.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,350

As a player he gave a lot to the squad, not always brilliant or consistent but a good player. I wish him well but we move on.

• Content Count:  121

Yeah definitely one that could have gone either way at his age @notts-joe , does seem like like Wycombe see him as a big signing and I think he'll do a job for them. One thing I'm sure of is that he will score against us at Meadow Lane now haha 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  0

Nothing will take a way his goals but really, we are best moving forward without him in my humble opinion.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

If rotational is all we could offer, I dont see him repeating last season and for that alone it makes sense to continue rebuilding.

• Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

He was definitely an asset for the team, as without his goals relegation wouldn't have been down to the last day.  His age must be the main factor here, and because of this it makes sense.  We just need to make sure we can replace him with someone who can score 10+ goals!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

Thanks for the service GT

Good luck at WWFC

There is better out there

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Massive loss for us, he is a goal scorer and its exactly what we need. Yet I am not suprised, we move on.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Being away at the moment I've only just found out about this. I liked GT and thought he always gave 100% when he played, however he is getting on a bit and we need to move forward so he goes with my best wishes and thanks.

Archived