Notts to play passing football this upcoming season?

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The only gripe I really have about the 2017-18 season is the fact we relied upon hoofing the ball, it worked sometimes but other occasions it just hindered things. Overall I do honestly feel it impacted our ability to create chances and, it could very well be a contributing factor to the loss of form at the start of 2018.

Yet if you delve into the signings, they all seem to prefer to 'pass' the ball.

Could it be that Notts are now looking to build a squad which can play attractive football on the ground?

The most enjoyable games last season for me involved keeping the ball down and moving it quickly, some of which is the best football I have seen for ages (yes Richardo Moniz attempted it but the cracks in the Notts defence under him was a nightmare). I hope we do focus on playing fluid football, which is quick and creative.

We will have the players upfront who will benefit from such play, so fingers crossed!

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

Yeah it looks as though that's what Hardy and Nolan are planning. Last season it seems the players just didn't have the quality/legs/concentration to play passing football all game every game, hence the having to switch to lumpball, but now with more quality players coming on board, I'd say the side will be more comfortable with playing more incisive, ground-based football. Still too early to say though, more players will be coming on board and some others may not renew their contracts, so let's wait and see.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

Right now there is so much possitiveity around Notts I’m game for anything that gets a up in league one. A change is as good as the rest I’m looking forward to next season 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

I thought we looked capable of passing the ball well when we moved together, problem I think is from the lack of understanding how some teams may attempt to stop us dead in the tracks.

Passing football is far more entertaining to watch, look at Coventry against us.

They looked a very entertaining team when they worked together, so I do wish we can focus on keeping the ball on the ground.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Notts will have to battle at times and this will mean hoofing it on occasions.

Kevin Nolan needs to play to the players strengths, I agree that just kicking the ball in hope never worked that well. It's a must to play it on the ground when possible but as I say, I don't think it will be gone completely.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

The fact we've signed two strikers who aren't target men show we might not be relying on long ball. Patching, being from a PL academy will be used to a passing style of play. His and Crawford's passing and creativity will go to waste if play it long. Kellett ripped us apart playing the number 10 role at Chesterfield, and with that, coupled with him being a better player when going forward, he could be a big asset. 

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Days Won:  5

I would hope we can be more direct on the field.

We need two wingers who can burst towards the opposition with pace, this for me would benefit Notts if there's any hope of passing the ball along the ground. I do feel we need to get the ball on the deck and look at how to break sides down more easily. Although I would agree that getting rid of the hoofing tactics probably won't go away completely.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Yes I’m hoping for a more ground based style of play too, I think Nolan had to play the football that suited the players he inherited and for the most part it worked, now he will have a very different approach hopefully and we will see a very different Notts County.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  284
  • Days Won:  0

I think Kevin Nolan went for the whole route one style due to having played under Big Sam.

The players looked better with the ball at their feet, so I don't think it's about who he inherited at the club. He could have overhauled the squad during the last summer, yet I think he wanted to be fair to some of the players who dug deep to get us out of the mess John Sheridan had left us in.

For me the problem came from the tactics going into games, Nolan did not seem to have much insight into how games developed and sometimes all it needed was a quick word to advice how to play. Other times it was clear that a player needed to come off, yet he tends to leave it late. By which point in those scrappy or difficult games the players on the pitch are tired and they have ran out of ideas.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,470
  • Days Won:  15

You could see a bit of Big Sam in the way we played last season, I agree with that.

I just want to see entertaining football which results from players giving 100% and never giving up. Smashing goals and promotion would be the icing on the cake, I think we are due another good season.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,356
  • Days Won:  1

All the signings would point to the fact that we should be playing a different style.

We do not know if we will sign a 'target man' type striker, or if the defenders that are required to fill the gaps are your typical kick it to clear the danger. I would hope that some of the players that fill the vacant gaps can pass it, especially from the back.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,904
  • Days Won:  17

I hope Notts can drop the hoofball. Play so much better without that. COYP

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Let’s hope we hear less cries of “gerrit down Notts”.

• Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

Its like it comes as a shock to us all :D that Notts County ... Yes the Notts County are hopefully going to be playing the actual game next year instead of long ball. With the addition of Kellet and Hemmings I imagine Nolan will put them on the same side together, assuming we still play 4-4-2. Although Id like to see 1 more attacking option signing, Heres My team and how I would play. Playing 4-3-3 leaves us vulnerable in midfield, however there is plenty of cover if the defence lies deeper and with an attack like ours, counter attacking teams with early release of the ball will be so deadly. 

Fitzsimmons

Tootle       Brisley     (New CB)     Jones

Husin         O'Connor        Kellet

Hemmings       Dennis       (New LW/LM)

Bench

Pindroch

(New RB) - To push Tootle for his place

Duffy

Crawford

Patching

Noble

Stead

• Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

noor husin seems to be getting forgotten, i think he will be a bigger player for us then most seem to think.

but notts have to focus on getting the ball down quicker than we did this past season, i always felt we played better when it was not in the air.

• Content Count:  358
  • Days Won:  4

At times last season we played flowing and quick passing game and each time thought oppostion struggled to cope with us, also the teams promoted all played a passing game which not been lost on the management and realise the reliance on hoofball will not deliver the outcome we all crave. The signings and contract renewals so far lead me to enter next season with so much optimism

Archived