Does the squad help the club right now to attract a new manager?

Chris

Back when Kevin Nolan was appointed we had a fairly weak squad, on paper it wasn't all that good and the form even more depressing. Right now Kevin Nolan and Harry Kewell have strengthened the squad, I feel neither knew how best to utilise the players. I know some think the squads terrible, but it really isn't.

A good manager could get the best out of this squad, we are blessed in attack.

The issue is the defence and inexperience in goal for me, something I feel has been patched but I suspect the next manager will strengthen further if given a chance.

However, if I was a good football manager - I would be looking at this squad and feeling keen to take it on. It's by far no means weak, if you have strength in your own ability. Well it must be exciting because we shouldn't be near the bottom. I hope Alan Hardy goes back to just giving his backing to the manager as he did when Nolan first came in, rather than all the hype and crap praised to Kewell for no reason. 

As much as it annoys us saying this 'project' crap it is in fact true. We have a number of players of 3/4 year contracts. What this means is a manager can come in and know who he has got for the next few years. I was kind of hoping this would happen with Jorge Grant.

I think we have the superstars in this league to build a team around. The three I would choose are Hemmings, Dennis and Boldewjin. The project is in place and with all these three cemented into the club for at least 2 years we should try and build a squad to play to their strengths IMO. 

Jorge Grant and Ryan Yates in this team would be a dream. Whoever the next manager is definitely has the tools to do the job and create a new style of football but first things first and that is to get maximum points up to Christmas, hit 50pts then experiment and see what happens. 

By no stretch of the imagination are Hemmings, Dennis or Boldewijn 'superstars'. 

However, I agree with your sentiment. A manager could look at the players here and think, they've got 4,5,6,7 players I can really work with, I only need a few quality additions and I can really do something with that squad.  Something like this;

Keepers: Fitz
Defenders: Turley, Brisley
Midfielders: Boldewijn, Milsom
Strikers: Hemmings, Stead

The squad is there, we have the shape to build but the club must stop handing out silly contracts like they're Christmas cards.

Most managers will look at Notts over other clubs like Wimbledon, simply due to the squad but the position and issue in the support leaves me questioning if a manager with a good pedigree for this league would see the club as an attractive outlet.

1 hour ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

By no stretch of the imagination are Hemmings, Dennis or Boldewijn 'superstars'. 

Superstars for our league. You know what I meant. They're not many better with their individual quality. I could only maybe name a few better in the league than the two proven goalscorers and our pacey winger in Boldewjin.

i think any unemployed manager who is open to managing in this league will see notts as a good option due to the strength of the squad, the only issues i see is the budget. can the new manager make changes or sign anyone? also how they see the security of the position itself.

i do feel the squad does help because its strong on paper.

The squad is good enough, but our defense does need some improvement. Any manager that comes in will have to try and get the best out of the team. I do wonder if hardy said to the team to play to their strengths so that the club can gain a better more experienced manager.

I think the managers linked are much better than the previous dross that gets paired with the position.

It sounds like people are considering us for once and I do wonder just how much this has to do with the squad? I would be keen to manage a side that has Dennis, Boldewijn, Hemmings, Stead, Vaughan and Ward.

I think it does but as others say, what negative things is currently going on behind the scenes? A manager needs control to succeed on the pitch and with Paul Hart being here it makes me wonder if this would put some off.

Yes he has experience but as I say, some managers won't want him doing things for them.

The squad is good on paper but the midfield is weak and the squad is a bit unbalanced. We have too many centre-backs and too many centre midfielders (some cm's are also not good enough or not needed e.g. Hewitt, Vaughan). I also think we never played the right formation as to play passing football with this side, we needed to play a 3-5-2. Nolan played that in one game against Lincoln and we looked ok for a bit then Lincoln scored a 2nd before half time which was a sucker punch.

It should help but we are Notts County, nothing is ever straight forward and the good seasons always tend to be short lived.

Right now Alan Hardy just needs to find someone who has worked well with 3-4 times previously, is respected, isn't arrogant and can support the players through a bad patch. I get the feeling Kevin Nolan and Harry Kewell could have been quite angry when mad.

I said today at the match to @Chris that the task awaiting the new manager is huge. 

I even said to him after today’s game if there wasn’t any managers beating a path to meadow lane before there will be even less now because of the challenges that await the new manager Alan May have tonget out his cheque book here.

Archived