Match Discussion: Playoff semi-final - The Bees (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,283
  • Days Won:  80

Playoff semi-final - The Bees (H)

Team: Barnet fc

Date: 25/07/2020

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Neal Ardley opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think some fans are thinking Notts will have fitness issues or, perhaps tire within the second half. The players seem fit enough to me, many of them have been having frequent runs near to where they live such as Tom Crawford.

The squad is big enough to start players who can make a difference with a burst of pace, that's for sure.

I'm hoping Kristian Dennis starts along side Kyle Wootton.

Sam Slocombe returning will be a big boost, he's a solid keeper at this level.

Defensively, I see no reason to split up Alex Lacey and Connell Rawlinson - yet I do expect Neal Ardley to find space for Ben Turner.

COYP!

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

My thoughts on Saturday. 

I think it will be an edgy first half. We're either always at it for the first 45 or not. Not many in betweens. I can't see the lineup changing much from the last few games tbh. Obviously fitness is the issue and only the coaching staff know who is ready for the game and who isn't. 

It would be a great shame to change the back pairing, as Chris says, but it's the most likeliest of changes.

Get Dennis up front and crack on lads.

COYP!

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Having seen the clips of us training and heard the interviews with staff and players, we seem to be well prepared.  Press them like Yeovil did but make sure we take our chances. 

Not much else to add from what I said the other day in the Preparing for Barnet topic. 

pre barnet play offs.PNG

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Days Won:  0

I am so excited for saturday but as the day gets closer my nerves are growing. 

I cant see fitness being a major issue theyre professional lads and have been training hard. Doyle wants this to make amends for relegation last season and for me he's the right man to lead the team out.

Got to start dennis and whooton together. Maybe go for a 3 up top. Show them we aint there to mess about. 

Fingers crossed for the right result 

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Now isn't the time to experiment with formations or the squad.

Choose the fittest players that performed well during the friendlies and prior to the lockdown, the occasion should lift most.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

I for one do not want to see Notts going all guns blazing.

Take it slow, grow in confidence and get a real feel for what Barnet has about them. If we go for their throats early on, its only going to lead to the shaky defence that we tend to see.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  368

As the electronic advertising boards been put along the County Road side of the ground yet???... I've been going for many years and iam sure we have never had them....... 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,936
  • Days Won:  162

i am more nervous now with what happened to forest, football is unpredictable and barnet are a good enough squad at this level.

notts should try to be more creative and just match their energy.

defensively the players need to protect whoever starts in goal, block, clear and hoof if needed.

• Content Count:  486

Dont care who we play or how we play long as we play better then forest this past month lol

• Content Count:  18,283
  • Days Won:  80

Let's see some score predictions, what do you think the result will be at full-time?

Add your thoughts below, such as what your line-up would be, the full-time score and any comments relating to the build up of the playoff match against Barnet.

COYP!

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Picking the team is going to be tough. Some big decisions; like CM pairing. I think it will be Doyle and Rose. Maybe not a a bad thing, O'Brien on in the second half if we need a goal. Bakayogo or Bagan, I really don't know? And Turner coming back in? I personally would like to see Lacey and Rawlinson as our centre backs. I also wouldn't be surprised if Thomas starts upfront but I'm hoping it's Dennis and Wotton.

Can't see it being a goal fest, I think Barnet will come and defend, they'll let us have the ball but restrict any space in behind. Having to break a team down on our first game back isn't ideal - need to hope Roberts and Enzio can do something magic. 

1-1. Notts to go through on pens.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

As I mentioned in the other thread (before I found this "official" one), we need to get a foothold in the game quickly. The first few minutes will be our first competitive game time in months, and Barnet will be looking to take advantage of that and take an early lead. If we get through that, I think we'll win.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow to a place called Cochem in Germany, and will be tuning in through the PiesPlayer app and my earphones. Could be awkward. The nerves are rising already...

I think I can see both teams scoring, I just hope my gut instinct that Notts will lead 2-0 is right.

It's a massive occasion for us and, I don't think the players will be all that nervous. I think the excitement might be the issue if they don't keep focused but let's just hope it's a good game. Whatever team Neal Ardley puts out, let's get behind them in spirit. COYP!!

1-0 to us, i think there will be good chances but i think both keepers will be at their best.

notts face former keeper scott loach, hes much better than some gave him credit for when he was here.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

If Cal Roberts and Enzio Boldewijn are on fire, they should free up the middle and cause nothing but nightmares. I have faith in the squad being good enough, defensively I am not as concerned.

I feel the score will be 3-1, goals from Kyle Wootton, Cal Roberts and Jim O'Brien.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,304
  • Days Won:  69

Notts have already achieved what my first team and your neighbours couldn't by being in a play offs.Anything can happen in these lotteries but myself and @GrannyPie are sat in front of our telly ready to cheer Notts on.So good luck Notts ,come on ,give Nottingham and the East Midlands some Pride back! :super::sheep:

Despite leading 1-0, I can't write how nervous I am.

BT Sports have been nothing but biased with Harrogate and now, Barnet. It's an absolute joke, but the game hasn't been that flowing [most likely due to the conditions]. Neither team have really stood out over the other, but right now we're allowing Barnet back into the game.

Sam Slocombe just made a brilliant save!

i thought it looked like a game destined to go to pens, but the goal which job unlocked with his cross made a huge difference. i feel notts played well enough to keep on top but barnet still tried. they did not look that great on goal or at the back.

wonder if they will think twice about bragging next time?

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Well that was nerve-wracking. It sounded like we put in a professional and assured performance, which is superb after such a long break. Now the attention will switch to Harrogate, who will probably be a different calibre altogether. 

It's sod's law that when we finally return to Wembley after 24 years, none of us can actually go. But winning promotion is the most important thing. 

Thoughts and prayers go out to the Mansfield fans who were supporting Barnet yesterday. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

I have to say, I was pretty stunned with that performance 4 months out and then coming back for such a big game and we just absolutely nailed it. 10/20 mins in and the nerves kind of went for me, we fell back into a bit of a rhythm, I just thought we looked so much more assured on the ball than Barnet even though it wasn’t coming off in the early stages. The movement, patterns, trying to work the ball into dangerous areas, it was all promising. And off the ball, we were the proactive team, organised but pressing Barnet well.

The only thing that pricked the nerves a bit was Ben Turner when he had to sprint! He doesn’t look that natural running to me (sorry Ben) but that said he played very well, won pretty much every header exactly what you want from him. Lacey was class as well, 100% needs to be here next season. I don’t have the time to praise everyone, they were all excellent for me.

What win. Finish the job next weekend and wow what a season this will have been. COYP!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

It went as I thought it would do. Notts showed their superiority over an average Barnet side. Harrogate were brilliant yesterday, they dominated a decent Boreham Wood side. I think the final could be a game we remember for a long time. It has the potential to be an epic encounter. I think Notts will win. 

Weymouth Pie will be delighted. Weymouth are in the Southern Final as well. 

• Content Count:  363
  • Days Won:  0

It was good to see both teams playing so openly, I do feel the conditions impacted the game but I have no questions about the effort put into the game. The quick thinking of Jim O'Brien made all the difference, that cross came from nowhere.

Brilliant win.