Preston North End vs Notts County

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's back! Very much looking forward to the game, it will be a tough game (Preston always are) but I think we can get a 1-1 from this.

What about you? Thoughts?

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

I agree that it will be a tough game but I reckon we'll get a 2-1 win with a nervy last ten minutes.

COYP

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

not looking forward to tuning into the radio, i am optimistic but nervous.

i think they could destroy us if they score early on, carroll should be fine in goal but i do think that they will start to show people that they are a quality side. i think our defence is still vulnerable. no sending offs, no own goals please 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

So happy we are back. Hope everyone had a great Summer. I thought we'd have a little sucsess in Brazil, How wrong was i :( 

I have a funny feeling we"re going to give them a good game.

PNE 1 - 1 Notts

Cassidy

735 Notts Fans

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  121
  • Days Won:  1

So happy we are back. Hope everyone had a great Summer. I thought we'd have a little sucsess in Brazil, How wrong was i :(

I have a funny feeling we"re going to give them a good game.

PNE 1 - 1 Notts

Cassidy

735 Notts Fans

Wish you'd start guessing things instead of using your time machine :thumbsup:

1. 21 Gigawatts Baby :)

The Lottery Number are as follows

4, 9, 13, 20, 27, 33. Bonus Ball 3

You watch i'll be bloody Bottom of the PL Tonight

• Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  16

Good point Pies. BTW, tell super_ram that Derby were bloody lucky today!!!!

Well that was a real team performance, we might not have been flash but no doubt Preston are one of the best teams in this league and today they looked average. Roy Carroll played very well, he kept us in it and made several very decent saves. Haydn Hollis played well but his distribution and errors could have cost us, however it's great to see him buckling down and focusing on the task at hand.

It's a shame we didn't hang in for the win but a draw was always a respectable result.

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

good result, i thought they would thrash us but so glad we drawn the game.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,299
  • Days Won:  28

Good game, we played well together.

A good start to the season.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

Good result. Couldn't make the game but listened on the radio. Sounded as though they were all over us, certainly in the first half. Battling performance and looking forward to seeing my first game of the season.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Hollis is still learning his trade. Hopefully he cuts out the errors. As teams get sharper, they'll gobble up those chances.

• Content Count:  627

I guess it's positive that I ended up being disappointed with the draw after being in the lead for much of the game. We only got 12 points away from home last year, so let's hope this well earned point is a better sign of things to come!

It'll also be interesting to see how we setup and what game plan we have at home.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

I was a bit worried about the outcome of this game,so 1 point is better than nothing especially away from home.

• Content Count:  486

Couldn't make it yesterday - but happy with a point, would have settled for that in advance.

It sounds like we have started with some guts, grit and tenacity - which has to be a good thing. Looking forward to seeing the experienced guys in action & to Cassidy & Ismael et al causing the opposition some headaches.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,483
  • Days Won:  9

As performance come this was a good opener for us.

The nerves will now steady, allowing the players to link better when moving forward. Yesterday I felt Mullins covered the centre back position extremely well, he handled the majority of threats and manage to avoid PNE players from making a meal of his challenges. The surging runs we had, very entertaining to see but some wasted chances both from Hollis and Wroe.

Dumbuya looked a little better yesterday, minus a couple of mishaps but Carroll is very alert.

At 1-1, there is not much else to complain about. Solid start really, the foundation will hopefully encourage them because no doubt Preston will be up the top by the end of the season.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Very happy with what I saw yesterday, we look almost completely unrecognisable from last season, and that's not just because we had 10 different players who started at Oldham!

It was brilliant to see such a hardworking, gritty performance from 11 men playing for the shirt. Shame we couldn't hang on for the win at the end, especially as I felt PNE had totally ran out of ideas at that point, though I'm convinced the throw in from which they scored should've been awarded the other way. Ah well..

Thought Roy Carroll was outstanding between the sticks. Made some good saves, his kicking was excellent all game and general command of his area was very good. He was a calming influence on the whole side and had no problem coming to collect crosses or back passes. He did nothing wrong all game for me. Also you could tell he'd been in the game for a while with the way he slowed the tempo down at the right time and allowed us to re-gain our shape. Nothing wrong with a bit of gamesmanship at all.

Also thought the left back (Adams?) was excellent. Reads the game well and didn't really put a foot wrong, same could be said of Hayden Mullins, though I thought Hollis looked a bit shakey. He is one hell of an aerial threat from set pieces mind.

Alan Smith was different class without being too fancy. Again, you could tell he'd been around the block a few times and played at a high level. He didn't play a pass wrong, just kept it simple.

Cassidy didn't really get in the game in the first half but he definitely came into his own in the second half when we started playing it into his feet rather than 3 feet over his head, he was excellent second half and took his goal really well. It was a real poachers goal, and that's what you want from strikers - they might do nothing all game but when they get a chance, they take it.

We said on the way back last night, you'd be hard pushed to look around that side yesterday and look at someone and think christ, bring him off before he does something silly. It was a proper, gritty away performance, something we didn't do enough of last season. No way would we have got anything out of that game last season.

The tactics were spot on. First half we soaked up the pressure and frustrated them, and to be honest we had a couple of fantastic chances to go ahead ourselves. Second half we went for it a bit more and at times they simply had no answer to us. For 10 minutes prior to their equaliser they couldn't get the ball off us.

That has only convinced me further that we'll be absolutely fine this season. Not many times will go to Deepdale and get anything this season. Like I said, pity we didn't hang on but I'd of took a draw at the start.

YOU PIES

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,234
  • Days Won:  69

It's back! Very much looking forward to the game, it will be a tough game (Preston always are) but I think we can get a 1-1 from this.

What about you? Thoughts?

Spot on @notts-joe :thumbsup:

Good point Pies. BTW, tell super_ram that Derby were bloody lucky today!!!!

Did you go @BradtheMiller? I only listened on the radio and for the first 15-20 minutes it sounded like it was just a matter of time before Rams scored.The Millers should have scored though, apparently.The rest of the match sounded fairly even and The Millers could/should have scored but for Grant and good defensive work.I said this game was a banana skin for us and as the game progressed I began to think about our play off misery so was settling for a draw until Hendrick scored.Rams were not at their best,the sharp ,quick passing not up to scratch but then again you only play as well as the opposition allow you to.Steve Mc said after the match that we became frustrated and impatient so fair play for making it difficult for us.Welcome to the Championship,on another day you may have won. :flowers: Good luck for the rest of the season(except the return fixture) especially against a certain team not too far from Meadow Lane. :thumbsup: You'll be fine.

We are staying, we are staying up.... LMAO

>http://youtu.be/nbSGedB-siE

I asked that in the chat room yesterday! I thought I heard it.

Brilliant

• Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I'm away on holiday at the moment and I was listening to five live trying to get any score updates, when I heard we had taken the lead I was amazed, shame we couldn't hold out at the end but I would have taken a draw . By all accounts Notts played well, looking forward to seeing them on Saturday.

• Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I'm away on holiday at the moment and I was listening to five live trying to get any score updates, when I heard we had taken the lead I was amazed, shame we couldn't hold out at the end but I would have taken a draw . By all accounts Notts played well, looking forward to seeing them on Saturday.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

Good display. The odds were pretty much stacked against us, given how poorly we have performed against Preston in the last decade and a half or so, not to mention their position as promotion favourites. Such a shame that we weren't able to nick the win, but on the balance of play, a draw was a fair result. Definitely something we can build on.

• Content Count:  896

Very happy with what I saw yesterday, we look almost completely unrecognisable from last season, and that's not just because we had 10 different players who started at Oldham!

It was brilliant to see such a hardworking, gritty performance from 11 men playing for the shirt. Shame we couldn't hang on for the win at the end, especially as I felt PNE had totally ran out of ideas at that point, though I'm convinced the throw in from which they scored should've been awarded the other way. Ah well..

Thought Roy Carroll was outstanding between the sticks. Made some good saves, his kicking was excellent all game and general command of his area was very good. He was a calming influence on the whole side and had no problem coming to collect crosses or back passes. He did nothing wrong all game for me. Also you could tell he'd been in the game for a while with the way he slowed the tempo down at the right time and allowed us to re-gain our shape. Nothing wrong with a bit of gamesmanship at all.

Also thought the left back (Adams?) was excellent. Reads the game well and didn't really put a foot wrong, same could be said of Hayden Mullins, though I thought Hollis looked a bit shakey. He is one hell of an aerial threat from set pieces mind.

Alan Smith was different class without being too fancy. Again, you could tell he'd been around the block a few times and played at a high level. He didn't play a pass wrong, just kept it simple.

Cassidy didn't really get in the game in the first half but he definitely came into his own in the second half when we started playing it into his feet rather than 3 feet over his head, he was excellent second half and took his goal really well. It was a real poachers goal, and that's what you want from strikers - they might do nothing all game but when they get a chance, they take it.

We said on the way back last night, you'd be hard pushed to look around that side yesterday and look at someone and think christ, bring him off before he does something silly. It was a proper, gritty away performance, something we didn't do enough of last season. No way would we have got anything out of that game last season.

The tactics were spot on. First half we soaked up the pressure and frustrated them, and to be honest we had a couple of fantastic chances to go ahead ourselves. Second half we went for it a bit more and at times they simply had no answer to us. For 10 minutes prior to their equaliser they couldn't get the ball off us.

That has only convinced me further that we'll be absolutely fine this season. Not many times will go to Deepdale and get anything this season. Like I said, pity we didn't hang on but I'd of took a draw at the start.

YOU PIES

Yeah, I felt Adams had a good debut performance. He looks like a very promising player, easily replacing Sheehan which was a worry at the time. At Preston we seemed more organized and able to cope with threats.

We played very well.

Archived