The Ashes

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Morning all. Anyone into cricket? The ashes starts today, I used to love watching it when I was younger but not so much now, I may try to catch a few overs on the telly if I can.

Will you be watching it?

• Like 9

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

@Fan of Big Tone I've got a different opinion on cricket to what I used to have. I was never really one for cricket as I didn't find it too appealing but after watching a handful of games over the past couple years, I quite like it. Wouldn't say I'm one who'd watch it all the time but things like the ashes I might give a game or 2 a watch. 

• Like 6

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I have no interest or time for cricket; it’s just that I have never really gotten into it. I find it quite prolonged and dull, even when the England cricket team is good, I don’t pay attention. It’s just one of those sports I find difficult to invest in. I would rather watch baseball, which says a lot. I understand why others may enjoy it, but personally, I have never been around the sport and when I have been, it doesn’t retain my attention.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,726
  • Days Won:  27

I’m not watching but am checking the live feeds for information; I have to admit, I am inclined to agree with @theskipper, but I do have some interest. I can watch when it’s exciting, but 90% of the time it’s dragged out. I prefer Twenty20.

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I don't really give it much time, I remember watching it with my dad as he used to always watch it. Like in the six weeks holidays from school, when there are good films on and a lot more cartoon, but all you see on the television is a very slow drown out game. I used like playing it, most know what happened last time but in my parents garden we would play cricket and football. Those were the days! Granny Pie telling us to watch the flowers in the rockery and around the side of the garden, also the not to hit the windows. Which happened a fair bit, in hindsight. I am surprised I am here now with the sheer amount of times a ball hit the kitchen window or door.

1 hour ago, TheSkipper said:

I have no interest or time for cricket; it’s just that I have never really gotten into it. I find it quite prolonged and dull, even when the England cricket team is good, I don’t pay attention. It’s just one of those sports I find difficult to invest in. I would rather watch baseball, which says a lot. I understand why others may enjoy it, but personally, I have never been around the sport and when I have been, it doesn’t retain my attention.

It's one of those sports which are better with company.

My brother's wife had it on when me and him would go for walks in the past, and we would discuss what was happening. They're quite invested in the game, as my brother did watch it more with my dad. Only occasions did I stay for long.

No, I doubt I will be watching. If I am over at @super_ram's then I might but otherwise I'm not that interested.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

sorry, @Fan of Big Tone. but do you have the pon remote? i need to switch over. 😂

i think i remember @Fozzy and @Piethagoram mentioning cricket and going to trent bridge to see england.

• Haha 1

• Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

You’re right @liampie, I used to be an avid cricketer (played 3 times a week) until I had to pack up through injury and still follow all my past village teams results closely. Been to what I call all the original test grounds apart from Lords and the Oval and always want England & Nottinghamshire to win.

Funnily enough though I don’t watch it much anymore as I don’t own posh telly nowadays, so content with listening to it on the radio when I get time.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,509
  • Days Won:  9

I’ve mostly been listening to it on the radio. England seemed to start off quite well. I think this Ashes will go down to the wire to decide who wins it. I don’t think either us or Australia will win it by far.

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

I use Google and search for updates. Due to sleeping during the day, I can only check once I wake up via my phone. Australia requires 174 runs to win. I think they will take this one.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

I've never really had an interest in cricket, its a very long game and i just don't have that much time to follow it.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I’ve been checking the scores via Google; there’s no coverage here. Cricket isn’t a big sport in the US and it’s overlooked by that other bat sport that can be like watching paint dry.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  8

Have to say I much prefer 20 20 cricket, much more watchable. I find sitting and watching test cricket very boring after a while. Nothing wrong with it I might add, just not my cup of tea.

• Like 2

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

On 22/06/2023 at 01:57, AmericanPie said:

I’ve been checking the scores via Google; there’s no coverage here. Cricket isn’t a big sport in the US and it’s overlooked by that other bat sport that can be like watching paint dry.

Baseball? Isn't that glorified rounders? Some teachers used to organize a game of rounders during the dinner break at my junior school on nice summer days..It got very competitive at times.Good fun but baseball seems boring.

• Like 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Days Won:  15

I think Australia will win the Ashes; they seem to have the better team all round. With their batters and bowlers, it’s hard to see one or two good England players overturning what is a pretty weaker team.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Well it’s 2-0 to the Aussies now, did anyone see the controversial stumping? The English batsman (cant remember who) was walking out of his crease after the over and was stumped, he obviously assumed the over was done. It wasn’t very sportsmanlike of the Aussies but within the rules.

It even caused some booing from the members in the long room which apparently is unheard of it’s normally polite clapping. Oh dear I don’t know what my grandad would make of cricket these days it used to be a gentleman’s sport.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Laws @Fan of Big Tone, cricket doesn’t have rules.

Disgusting dismissal by the Aussies and their captain should have withdrawn the appeal. To stay within the spirit of the game, Bairstow should have been warned of their intention if he did not stop it.

No complaints over the score line, as the tourists have been the better side over the last two tests, but some of their actions have left me shaking my head. I knew straight away that the Starc catch was invalid as he grounded the ball trying to stop himself sliding, but that was probably more a case of the player not knowing the law than trying to cheat.

Cricket used to be played hard and fair with mutual respect amongst the players, not anymore by the look of things.

• Like 2