England and International Matches

KB1862

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

How many of us on here watch England games? What's your views on England Internationals or International football as whole? 

From a personal point of view I always tune in to watch England no matter the opponent or the form they're in. Even though it's an endless cycle of build up hope, get disappointed, moan and repeat. 

However games against lesser nations where we're expected to get a comfortable result, even though I'm watching the games, I'm not fully tuned in to the game as much as I would be if it was a more competitive game whether it be bigger opposition or a major tournament. 

I get the whole "you can only beat what's infront of you" but I'd much rather be seeing more competitive matches. The competitive games grab my interest just that bit more. But as I've said, I'll always tune in no matter the opposition. 

The good thing about this qualification campaign is that it's a bit more competitive than we've had in the past. There's games where we're expected to win but there are also teams that could be a banana skin and England need to be on their toes to avoid that. 

Maybe it's just the fact that for years we've had easy qualification campaigns only to fail in tournaments that's made me have these sort of opinions but I feel like international football as a whole would benefit from having a more competitive format which is why I'm a fan of the Nations League as it separates teams more suited to eachother to make it more competitive.

Even though I was disappointed in England getting relegated from the Nations League, it was good for England to actually have to work to try get a result. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I used to watch every game, but after England started playing like nobody cared quite a while ago, I stopped and focused my time on better things. I should start watching them more, as much has passed since then.

If I can watch tournaments, I can find time to watch friendlies and qualifiers.

• Like 10

@Chris tournaments are one of them things that, even though England do qualify for pretty much all of them, they're a must watch for any football fan even if England didn't make it. 

I do agree players didn't seem to care when playing for England. It appeared more name/club over country and never played with the passion England once had with the likes of Pearce, that roar in Euro 96. But there seems to be more pride in them these days tbf. 

I do understand why people don't tune in to many of the games though as I said even though we're dominating it's against lower teams and it can be quite boring to see England score 6+ goals against minnows. Especially when it's games against San Marino, Andorra etc. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I tend to watch most of their games if I can, friendlies are less likely to be watched if I’m doing something else. I certainly would watch competitive games like the Euros or World Cup no matter who they were playing.

• Like 8

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I watch most friendlies, but I don’t watch the national league. I try to keep updated with football, including watching Match of the Day and The Football League Show. Internationals are important if you’re keen on the sport; it’s where we unite with fans across our country to get a sense of pride.

• Like 10

• Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

i watch the big games, including friendlies and maybe some of the less glamourous ones but i dont watch all. i think the work that has gone into improving the national team, it deserves the suppor.

• Like 8

@CliftonMagpie absolutely. When. World Cups and Euros come around it's a big occasion for every football fan to unite together. It's a great feeling. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  9

I watch games from time to time, usually when I’m not busy, but I try to watch the majority. I don’t mind friendlies myself, as you get to see other players given a chance. It’s nice to see how some of these types of players fit in.

• Like 7

@upthepies under Southgate I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. He might give them chances in friendlies for a bit of game time but it'll be little then when it comes to competitive games, he reverts back to his favourites. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

I seldom watch games based on my free time and my interest in said game. I do watch a fair amount but I don’t watch every game. It’s been years since I’ve managed to do that one but I consider it to be a duty for enjoying football.

• Like 7

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

It’s not very often that I watch England play. I rarely catch the friendlies and it’s only major tournaments where I do watch. I go out of my way for them, but friendlies are different and with other commitments, it doesn’t come high on my priority list.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  5

I watch every game I can. I like watching England and seeing how the team gets on. I wish they would find it more routine to play well against the bigger teams. If they applied themselves, I think we could win the Euros when it’s time.

• Like 5

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I don’t get to watch them as often as I would like because I’m busy with work and other things that get in the way of sitting down to watch the games in full. I do watch the highlights on YouTube. I miss some of the tournament games at times, but not many. Notts and the England national team are important to me.

• Like 5

@TheSkipper understand work can get in the way of watching the games, especially tournaments. I was fortunate that the last 2 tournaments England played at times out of work hours so I didn't have to miss a single one. Although England's opening 6-2 win v Iran, I did book the day off once the fixtures got announced. 

• Like 1

Honestly expected tonight's game against North Macedonia be a lot tougher than it turned out to be. In full control all game. The most comfortable England performance I've ever seen. You could see how much the players were enjoying themselves out there. 

Saka will get all the credit with his 3 goals but Rashford was a stand out Performer. 

When Trent first time balled it to Saka and then Saka let rip with the strike, I genuinely got out my sofa and shouted "Oh my word" both the pass and shot were equally as good as eachother. 

If England can play this style of play more often with the high press and constant pressure, we can take on anybody. This is the way we should go into every game and play. We can be genuine contenders with this kind of play and players. Just hope that even against the bigger teams we perform exactly the same. 

• Like 4

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Days Won:  2

I watch every England international, some are harder to watch than others but I do think we play with determination now. I got a little frustrated when fans were calling for a change, why? We are progressing nicely with who we have but sadly we will most likely go back to being average after he goes.

• Like 3

@KingWilliams I'm not Southgate's biggest fan tbf. Off the pitch he has done wonders. Ended the club rivalry stuff that was detrimental to the National side as well as bringing in this pride and determination we see today but he discredits himself when he makes comments like "the players didn't look like winning against France" when that's his job to build them up and guide them. Plus he has no plan b and is tactically incapable when things aren't working. His record against bigger teams doesn't make for pleasant reading. He has all the capabilities and players at his disposal but at times he let's himself down. Hopefully he proves me wrong. 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I don’t care who they are playing 7-0 is an outstanding result I honestly thought North Macedonia would be a better opposition but I don’t think England allowed them to be. Saka was superb, the future is bright for England long May it continue.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

I don't really watch England or other international football matches, i remember when they used to play rubbish so just not bothered since. I know they have improved since, just lost interest.

• Like 1

@Fan of Big Tone Absolutely England have a bright future with the talent coming through. Also agree on the fact that I too thought Macedonia would be a tougher test than it ended up being given how well they've progressed in recent years. So for England to win 7-0 emphatically is to be applauded. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

With working nights and having awkward shift patterns, it limits my time watching anything. I sleep during the day and evening, as I work early mornings and then have the graveyard shifts. I forget the last game I watched; it was probably a while ago. I mainly see extended highlights or clips online.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

England games are shown here, but the timing can be awkward. I tend to see them after the result has been played, except for the World Cup. So, I only managed to watch a handful of games.

I would like to see them more often but I’m not willing to pay the premium price for UK sports. Additionally, right now I wouldn’t stay up late to watch.

• Like 1