Luther Munakandafa and Lucien Mahovo: To Loan or Not to Loan?

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I wanted to start a discussion about Luther Munakandafa and Lucien Mahovo, two of our professional young players. Do you think they will feature in our plans for this season, or do you believe it would be better to loan them out to another team for development?

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on this matter. Let me know what you think in the comments below.

• Like 11

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Lucien Mahovo seems like a good player if played in the right area. I read that he made some good crosses in the Nottingham Forest friendly and improved on the back of the shocker he had against Stoke City. Those types of games will happen, so I wouldn’t want to write him off. However, I do feel Luther Munakandafa has the biggest potential. His name has been floating around for a few years now. I think he was formerly our highest goalscorer in the youth team. Being able to play on the wing and as a striker has a huge benefit.

• Like 10

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I think it’s always good to loan young players out so that they gain invaluable experience, we can always recall them if needed. I’m sure Luke Williams will do whatever is best for the players and the club.

• Like 10

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

neither will get much first team action, so loan them out for half of the season and review come their return. its important that they are not just sitting around, because you dont learn much from doing that and they are crying out for experience.

• Like 10

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,898
  • Days Won:  5

Personally, I think it’s important to try to loan them out to a National League North team, ideally. I don’t think either would attract much playing interest from the National League, no disrespect intended, but they both need to gain more experience. I think loaning them out, with a recall option, would be the way to get them more game time.

• Like 9

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  881
  • Days Won:  1

As for loaning out both players, the issue is that Notts often sends young players to local clubs where they either do not receive much playing time or play at a level that does not provide them with any benefits. We need to maintain communication with them throughout their loan spells and provide our own feedback on their performances as a means of furthering their development.

• Like 6

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  9

I would keep Luther around and allow him to be part of the B team, but I would send Mahovo out on loan.

• Like 6

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think both should be loaned out, but I wouldn't drop any lower than two leagues beneath us. They won't learn much by playing lower, they might as well stay and feature in the B team because that will have them in and around our own players.

If we could get them out to teams nearby, maybe Boston I think it would provide a good learning experience.

Yet they need to be regularly, I do agree with the one on one coaching and feedback. It's important we have a say in their time; when Tiernan Brooks went out on loan a few years back, I believe it was Mark Crossley who spent time highlighting his games which helped him immensely. 

• Like 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

I agree you can't beat playing proper competitive football, I know they'd lose the coaching from Luke and co but what they'll gain from being a proper first-teamer will be more valuable in the long-run. Get them both loaned out!

• Like 5

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Loan them both out; Notts did right by Tiernan Brooks, and hopefully, these two will follow by joining two decent clubs for their own experience.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Loan them both out, get them some league experience and around other senior players. The issue with the B team for me is that it will lack the competitive nature that a league system offers with players of all ages. The quality of them might differ, but a good player can learn from anyone.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Yes, I would think loan deals for the pair would help them gain experience and prepare them for first-team football. There’s zero point in having them on the bench.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

I believe loans would be the best option, but it all depends on who is interested. I wouldn’t just ship them out. I think the club is more important to any potential move than the league they play in. Hopefully, the club can arrange two good moves for them with a recall option.

• Like 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Definitely loan out. Luther has promise but needs to find his best position. Whether that be up front or out wide. Lucien seems comfortable with the ball at his feet but needs to work on his positioning. Somewhere like Scarborough or maybe Chester may help with the development. Or a National League club like Fylde or Solihull if we want to send them to the NL.

• Like 1