Match Discussion: Game 14 - The Gills (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,268
  • Days Won:  80

Game 14 - The Gills (A)

Team: Gillingham

Date: 21/10/2023

Where: Priestfield Stadium

Gillingham.png.171dce4c291a56551659815ef

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Hopefully Notts will be back to full strength with Cameron and Jones back, it’ll be interesting to see if he brings Stone back, Notts have lost every game Slocombe has played in, is that his fault? Do the defenders trust Stone more and are therefore more comfortable with him?

• Like 10

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Their form has massively dropped off, yet ours hasn't been that perfect but unlike normally, we have still managed not to lose much ground near the top. Only moving to 2nd, which isn't something that happens for us often.

When I look at the tables and recent scores, I have this feeling it will end up as a draw.

Either team has the capability to win, I would favour us more, but it depends largely on how we play. If we don't defend well or if the midfield doesn't do their job, then Gillingham won't struggle to create chances. If Gillingham tries to make it hard to use the flanks, we need to be more creative with our passing around the centre of the park, moving and making space - see how it opens without relying on taking it all the way back to the keeper.

I believe Aidan Stone will return, it seemed a tactical decision to start Sam Slocombe against Mansfield.

A defeat I feel would lead to some unrest and really, I think we need to take whatever outcome happens on the chin. I do hope we see an improved performance, where those who attend feel the players gave everything.

• Like 11

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I hope Bostock is OK.  We lose a lot when he doesn't play, especially the calm and leadership that he brings to the side.  Jones and Cameron are also important, and I feel our chances decrease if either or both of those are missing too.  

I think it will be a tough old game and I would be surprised if we come away with any more than a draw. I really hope that a defeat doesn't cause unrest and if it does, it really speaks more about the fans than the team.

It's my local game and my partner brought the whole family (mainly West Ham fans) tickets for my birthday, so I can't wait. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

They won’t have a new manager before playing us so that’s a positive. It’s not always the case that a new manager guarantees a better result, but I always think players will usually try that bit harder to impress a new boss. They’re aren’t very good at scoring and recently starting conceding, probably because they’re trying to rectify their goal troubles and have pushed a few more forward leaving them more vulnerable at the back – I hope that’s the case anyway!

We always seem to react well after a big defeat, the team will want to get straight back on track. I seem to remember after the Dorking loss we played York (who were no pushovers) we ran like 1/3 more than usual (maybe I made that figure up) but we definitely ran more than normal! I think the conversation afterwards was about how out-working the opponent always gives you a better chance of getting a good result. Same sort of reaction would be fab.

Yeah I’m really hoping Bostock is fit too, guess we'll know when the pre-match press conference is out. Cameron should be back, I’m sure Luke said they found out he was unavailable on the morning. Suggests to me he was ill, It would be really unlucky/freakish to pick up an injury at home!

• Like 10
  • Love 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

The upcoming match will be tense. I hope that the regular supporters who have made this season’s away games so impressive will take advantage of the free travel, rather than those who don’t contribute to the atmosphere. We’ll need all the support from the black and white army. It’s likely to be a close game, so we need to make sure we’re ready to score and that the players stay on their feet.

• Like 8

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,128

Gillingham will likely be a challenging opponent, but I believe Luke Williams will motivate the players. It should be a competitive match from both sides and I’m hopeful that we can start a winning streak again. The match could be tight, but I’m predicting a 1-0 victory for us, with Macca scoring the goal.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Another difficult game. Both teams lost 4-1 last weekend. Hopefully John Bostock is fit. We look vulnerable without him. A draw would be a decent result. We need to steady the ship. 

• Like 7

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i think if john bostock is out, jim o brien can do the role but he might need to focus on being more defensive. that is what bostock does, he anchors the defence and allows them to get going without being bullied. whilst jimmy might not be intimidating, he can be good at picking up the ball. i think it should be a fairly good game, hopefully we fewer goals for the home team. that said they seem just as capable as us to score.

• Like 7

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

Some are behaving as if we’re at the bottom of the league, which we’re not. We’re in second place. While some suggest that fans got carried away, I don’t agree with this, at least not on here. Fans simply rallied behind the club’s winning streak and it’s a wake-up call for the club. Gillingham may pose a challenge, but we shouldn’t fear them. Underestimating them could lead to a game like the one against Colchester, but Notts has goals and can keep clean sheets. It all comes down to staying focused and working hard. I foresee the game ending in a draw, with complaints about it being dull.

• Like 6

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  1

Heads up to all of you travelling to Gillingham.... The Dartford crossing fee is payable both ways!!!!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

It's going to be a tough match, Gillingham have recruited well in the summer and they aren't easily defeated, but there have been some unexpected results. I believe that regardless of the outcome on Saturday, they will be one of the teams vying for promotion. At present, I'm uncertain how Luke Williams can orchestrate a win, as it seems to me that the match is likely to end in a draw. I hope I'm mistaken, we do have a lot of talent and there are potential game-changers throughout the team, but our form is slightly more worrying than theirs. The fact that they are playing at home and capable of causing problems is the tricky part.

Notts must remain resilient and improve their defence, otherwise I can see it being like the Colchester match where we have to equalise to secure a draw or something more challenging.

• Like 5

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,502
  • Days Won:  9

Going into the match, I hope there has been a strong emphasis on defence but also on our play when teams make it hard to find room, it’s all about being more courageous in my view, creativity isn’t something that vanishes, it just needs practice. As others have mentioned, John Bostock is crucial, he’s the pillar that makes everything much smoother. Whoever is in the wingback positions, they need to ensure crosses and balls are going into the opposition’s penalty area. Macaulay Langstaff can’t do much if he isn’t provided with the service, he works hard and tries but we need to give him the chance to put the ball in the back of the net.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  502

15 hours ago, gtownjohnno said:

Heads up to all of you travelling to Gillingham.... The Dartford crossing fee is payable both ways!!!!!!! 

You have to pay online, so don't forget! It's slightly cheaper if you set an account up, but you would need to use it regularly as I think you need to deposit £10,  Mind you that doesn't expire, so you could use it when we play West Ham and Crystal Palace in the Premiership in a few years time!!.  You could also wait until 10pm, then it's free!!  That leaves plenty of time to celebrate!

• Love 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

It would be good to start winning again, but I know Gillingham are a strong team. They want to get promoted, so it will be interesting to see how the match goes. If Notts can play well, I think we should win, but that means the team needs to turn up and work hard.

There are no easy games for either team, but we need to see Notts play aggressively again. It would be good for them to focus on the result and work towards it.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

I have reservations about the situation, as it may not be straightforward for some supporters to travel. The area is experiencing significant flooding, which could potentially result in the cancellation of the game. Nevertheless, I remain hopeful that the match will proceed as planned and that the pitch will be in a suitable condition for play. I believe we should anticipate a strong reaction from the players. Gillingham, our opponents, pose a formidable challenge, but if we can maintain a solid defensive performance, we should have the opportunity to capitalise on our chances and achieve a positive outcome.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

Not much time left, let’s aim for a positive outcome but more importantly, a strong performance. I’m hoping we start with the best possible squad, including John Bostock.

• Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

Going to be another tough game. Gillingham are a good side. Despite their dip in form in recent games. They will be tough to break down, so we will have to be on our A game to get through it. 

Really hope Bostock,Cameron and Jones are all back in the XI. It showed on Saturday that they are really big players for how we want to play. Bostock giving that calmness in the midfield, jodi running at defenders, creating things. 

Im 50/50 on today, really hope notts get the win just to calm everything down. Still along way to go. 

COYP 🖤🤍

Supporter+

The first half took 52 minutes. You read that right. Notts deserve their lead. 

Supporter+

Great win. The best way to mark our 5000th league game. Macari take a bow son. That was some strike.

• Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Well done Notts the perfect reply to the naysayers and doom merchants.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

Brilliant win, and a great way to bounce back. Gillingham did have some dangerous moments on the break (and we rode our luck a couple of times), but they really didn't look special and we deserved our win. Just 23 more points and we're staying up! ;)

Kudos to every Notts fan who braved the weather in that open away end.

• Like 1