Match Discussion: Game 2 - The Fishermen (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,269
  • Days Won:  80

Game 2 - The Fishermen (H)

Team: Fleetwood Town

Date: 18/08/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I think the line up E will depend on injuries but I expect he will pick his strongest side available, I’d put Jatta in from the start and have McGoldrick as a sub, it goes without saying that Bass needs to come back in goal.

We need to be strong defensively like the Tranmere game and be patient in attack.

• Like 13

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

i am encouraged that tom who did the opposition view mentioned them needing a striker. it looks like they can score, but if we have our best keeper and defenders starting, i think it would be more difficult for fleetwood.

on paper, i think we have the better players but they might perform better as a team. we cant write them off.

• Like 5
  • Love 8

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Fleetwood will be a big test for the Magpies on Sunday, having been relegated from League 1 last season.

They will be keen to continue their good start to this season's campaign, having already won their first two competitive matches.

Stuart needs to pick his strongest available side. I expect Bass to return in goal, with Platt, Bedeau & Macari in defence.

In midfield I would keep Hinchy, Austin & Crowley & Scott to continue his partnership with Jatta upfront, Jones on the wing of course.

Stuart may choose to play Chicksen as left wing back with Jones on the right again.

Stuart has been hampered by injuries. We will have to watch his pre match presser, to learn if any players will be returning.

Notts need to keep things tight at the back as they did against Tranmere. Opportunities up front will come so I'm hoping for a positive result on Sunday.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Despite their relegation, they’re still a good team with some decent players that Notts must be mindful of. I expect the match to be quite open, with both sides working hard to create chances. I hope Notts can score first, and if we do, we must defend that lead. I can't wait to get back to Meadow Lane.

• Like 3
  • Love 9

• Content Count:  224
  • Days Won:  1

I am hopeful Notts can put on a good show and performance, as a win would be a big boost. A similar squad to Tranmere, with Conor Grant maybe starting, could work. Meadow Lane has to be a fortress, especially with all the season ticket sales and expected crowds. Stuart Maynard might make some changes, but I hope Alex Bass is in and that the defence is as close to our opening fixture as possible.

• Like 8
  • Love 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  0

More points on the table early on would be great, even better if Notts can secure a win. We can’t afford a poor performance, especially after the reactions to the League Cup game. The fans at Meadow Lane for the first game of the season deserve to see a solid performance.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

I think the team will be very similar to the one that played at Tranmere, none of the injured players were on the bench for Shrewsbury but I'm hoping one or two might be fit for Sunday. I thought Didzy and Grant in an attacking sense were really good against Shrewsbury, so I wouldn't be surprised if both stayed in the team.

Should be a good match and a great atmosphere, I think it'll be quite close but I'm hoping for a touch of over confidence from Fleetwood after beating West Brom in the League Cup. 

Maurice Ross is the assistant manager at Fleetwood now, he joined Cowdenbeath as their head coach after he left us and got them relegated into the Lowland Football League! I'm pretty sure he was winless at Meadow Lane during his short-spell with us, fingers crossed it continues when he visits again.

• Like 3
  • Love 7

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Fleetwood are top 10 candidates IMO. They were decent against Grimsby. They showed character against West Brom. They went a goal down but kept plugging away and got their reward.

Notts were solid for 135 mins and then reverted to the Notts of last season in the second half against Shrewsbury. There will be changes against Fleetwood. I expect a close game. Notts to win 2-1. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  618

With our best team, Notts should perform well. The pitch should be more suitable for us than for Fleetwood, at least in theory. We aim to play attractive, attacking football, while Fleetwood prefer to build up their play patiently and counter. It should be an exciting match.

• Like 7

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

We still don't know how we truly compared to other League Two teams, I am sure Fleetwood Town has some quality in their side and those players we will need to be prepared for. I think they will try to play a similar game, I don't think they will want to be caught out of possession and both midfields will likely be the turning point. Pressing high and opening space should make the game a lot more entertaining.

I'm just excited to be back at Meadow Lane tomorrow, I hope the game goes well, and I am sure we will give Fleetwood a good test.

Both teams will be looking to finish as high possible and those early points do tend to be crucial when it comes down to things. I know some won't like it, but a draw would hardly be a bad thing for either team. Ideally, Notts will get the three points but if it does end in a draw. I at least hope we can manage to avoid conceding.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

• Content Count:  367

Just watched Bromley v Wimbledon....1thought....Bromley do not take prisoners......

• Like 4

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,902
  • Days Won:  17

I'll just be hoping for a Notts win, and hope Stu puts his best team out. COYP

• Like 8

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  567
  • Days Won:  2

I don’t know what to expect, I just want to see Notts perform well and score a couple of goals. It’s more important we win at home. I hope we can show our true quality and hit the target more, as a goal is likely to go in.

• Like 6

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,725
  • Days Won:  27

I am hoping Notts can start similarly to how they did against Shrewsbury. Taking an early lead would be nice, and seeing the defence able to maintain and protect it would be even better. If Fleetwood commit players to defending, they might prove to be a headache like Tranmere, but I am sure it will be entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

• Content Count:  285

If Notts can control the game and stay solid at the back, Fleetwood might have a tough match. If they make us panic, then we could be in for a rude awakening. We have players like Jodi Jones, Dan Crowley, and Scott Robertson who can get things going. We’ll have to see how it plays out.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  143

What's the deal with Nick Tsaroulla? The media team could give us an update as to where certain players are at, those hampered by pre-season. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the team, from what I have read he's a very good player and should take the left side once available. I have nothing against Adam Chicken but his form seems lacking. Is Scott Robertson also injured? Notts seems quite closed lips on who is out. I'm hoping some of the signings don't repeat the Will Randall and Junior Morias path, wasted potential. With the squad we have, the club can't afford to have players out for prolonged periods. It would help to see the best players available tomorrow.

• Love 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Days Won:  2

I hope we can get a win. It would be a big moment early in the season. Plus, it would nudge Notts up the table a bit. However, I’m not sure how Fleetwood will fare against us.

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,343

It would be great to see Notts prove the doubters wrong, but honestly, I don’t think it will happen. Stuart Maynard is still learning at Notts and I think Fleetwood will cause us some trouble. It wouldn’t surprise me if we end up drawing the game. I really hope I am wrong, but I can see it happening. I just hope it’s not goalless, as nice as it is to keep a clean sheet. Not scoring would be negative. Fingers crossed we can thrash them.

• Like 2

Supporter+

It's Matchday.

CMON U PIES 

• Like 1

Supporter+

Team new for this afternoon's game.

Crowley playing, plus Hinchy & Grant in midfield, Jatta with Scott upfront.

Looks like our strongest available side.

MATTY PALMER on the bench.

• Love 2

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,285
  • Days Won:  69

Good luck Notts. Please don't spoil my weekend.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Match begins.

• Like 1

Supporter+

First 20 minutes, Fleetwood not pressing at all, happy to give Notts possession and try to create a chance on the break 

Notts 0 Fleetwood 0

Matty Platt get a yellow card for a four. 23 mins.

Notts 0 Fleetwood 0