Match Discussion: Game 5 - The Owd Reds (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,266
  • Days Won:  80

Game 5 - The Owd Reds (H)

Team: Accrington Stanley

Date: 07/09/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,950
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I see the game similar to Swindon Town, Accrington might not have had a great start, but they are better than where they currently sit. We know very well they can punish you if allowed to get back into the game, they can lead and work well as a team to come back into games. Notts will have to be at their best, as we might hold onto the ball and have a high possession rate, but it's important we defend robustly, but also try to keep the play in their half of the pitch.

Last season, they impressed me with how dangerously they could break or counter. I haven't seen much of them this season, but I know they are a good team and have a knack for nurturing young talent.

• Like 9
  • Love 3

• Chris featured this topic

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,753
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

With another (hopefully) big crowd at Meadow Lane cheering on the team I don’t see any reason why can’t bag another 3 points, I wonder if Jatta will be back or will McGoldrick carry on where he left off, can they both play in the same team? 

• Like 11

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,449
  • Days Won:  15

Well, it's good to see Jatta back in the starting lineup. The rest of the team should stay the same. David McGoldrick played well at Swindon Town, but I think he's better coming on from the bench. He just played a full game. Accrington Town has some good players, but they haven't been able to keep many of their best ones.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  0

I'm feeling confident about our chances against Accrington. Our attacking players have been on fire, and the defence has been doing a great job of shutting down opponents. I hope we can continue to impress the fans and secure another victory at Meadow Lane.

• Like 11

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

I'm really excited for the game against Accrington. Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley have been playing fantastically, and our defence has been rock solid. They've been working hard to shut down opponents and keep the ball out of our net. I'm particularly impressed with how well our defenders have been communicating and positioning themselves.

With Jodi and Dan in form, we have a real attacking threat. They've been creating chances and scoring goals at a consistent rate. I'm confident that they can continue to perform at a high level and help us secure a victory.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the crowd get behind the lads. The atmosphere at Meadow Lane is always electric, and I know the fans will be cheering us on from start to finish. If we can play to our potential and get the crowd behind us, I believe we can achieve a positive result.

• Like 6
  • Love 6

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,950
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The key for Notts will be to try to make sure we continue with the good work down the flanks, but at times drift into the centre of the park when play opens up. We can be a bit predictable when we rely on the wider areas of the pitch, and it's the quality we have that makes it work. It's like how we focus on trying to create chances where there's little for the finisher to do but tap the ball into the net.

I would like to see us take a few chances from the edge of the box and focus on getting shots on target.

I doubt deny that Accrington will be very organised themselves as a team but it's important that Notts tries to balance the way they create chances.

• Like 3
  • Love 9

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

I hope that Notts plays a similar game to the one against Grimsby Town. A strong start, an early goal, and controlling the game would be ideal. While we might not see many goals, it would be great if Notts takes the lead early on and gains confidence throughout the match. It would also be good to see more of the players who are still settling in.

• Like 10

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Days Won:  17

I want to see Notts straight out the traps as per Grimsby game. Won't be easy against Accy. But COYP. Go for the 3 points. 

• Like 10

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,356
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

As I have said elsewhere, there are no easy games in league 2 & playing Accrington will be no different. Notts have to treat every opponent with respect.

Notts need to carry on in the same vain as they played against Grimsby. Notts need to try to cut out the defensive errors too.

Notts have improved defensively this season & mistakes haven't been too costly, however Notts mustn't help the opposition by giving away easy goals. It could come to bite, when it's least expected 

Accrington are known for their high press, so Notts need to move the ball out of defence quickly & not get caught in possession otherwise Notts will be punished.

Notts need to try & dominate  Accrington if they can, but at the same time show the fighting spirit & doggedness they showed against Swindon if required.

As in previous matches, Notts need to be weary of crosses, corners & free kicks around the penalty area. 

Hopefully, Jatta will be back to lead the attack. It will be tough for Stuart to leave Didzy out of the starting line up, but Jatta needs to start.

Hoping for a 2:0 win and a clean sheet.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

• Content Count:  3,444
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It does seem like Notts are going into games understanding the plan and vision on how to execute Stuart Maynard's game plan, much of the improvements come very early from the training ground and coaching. It's given the new defence and current players a chance to get on the same wavelength early on. Accrington Stanley previously thrived on being underestimated, and I doubt Maynard will allow the Notts players to go into the game thinking it will be an easy 3 points.

I expect Accrington to be organised at the back, strong in midfield and eager up front. I think defensively, we should have more than enough to keep their attacking players quiet.

Defensively, I worry if they choose to crowd the box with bodies it might make it hard for Nott to play as per their usual way. I am not suggesting I think they will park the bus, but I do feel they will be heavily focused on being solid at the back and breaking with speed.

• Love 10

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

I’ve not watched Accrington this season but statistically I don’t think they’ve been quite as bad as their current league table position suggests. They’ve lost a few of their better players though and I don’t think they’re as good as they were last season.

I’d expect them to come and play a bit like Fleetwood did, play two banks of four, probably be more like a bank of 4 and 5 with 1 upfront (chasing lost causes) as they’ve played 4-2-3-1 this season. So we need to be brave on the ball, make runs into spaces and actually pass into them too! Constantly passing it to feet all the time will make it easy for Accrington to defend. We’ve definitely got the quality, if we play right, to hurt them.

McGoldrick or Jatta will be the potential dilemma for Stuart Maynard, do we stick with the induvial quality or return to a player who probably suits our style the better and gives us the ability to switch things up more? I think if the game pans out as expected it won’t be end to end and we will dominate the ball so McGoldrick who can provide a bit of magic in tight spaces could be more useful. But I get that Jatta will be more of a threat in the box. Tough decision!

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,868
  • Days Won:  162

i think its less of an headache with regards to mcgoldrick and jatta, one or the other will start and then most likely whoever is the sub will come on around the 70th minute. despite didzys goals against swindon, i am mindful about him being overplayed. he scored two very good goals, but i think the fact that he might push to further make his presence known and that would benefit home from coming on in the second half.

• Like 9

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

It should be an exciting match. I think most teams that play us at home will try to counter-attack to combat our possession. Accrington Stanley are a good side at this level and will certainly give us problems. Matt Platt, Lewis Macari, and Jacob Bedeau seem to be forming a solid partnership in defence, which is very effective alongside the commanding presence of Alex Bass. They give me a lot of confidence, but we're strong in every area of the pitch. I think Jodi Jones will thrive on the attention Stanley might give him.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Accrington Stanley's away form is poor and that's being kind. They have lost 4-1 and 3-1. Given how Notts play at home, I'd imagine a pile of punters will have this down as a home win. It's hard to see anything but a home win. 4-1 to Notts. 

• Like 4

• Content Count:  492
  • Days Won:  1

I'm less nervous going into games now. I think the squad has the right mix of quality, hard work, and form. The players need to maintain these high standards, especially when there are others eager to get into the starting eleven. It will be interesting to see if Accrington play defensively or try to take the game to us.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  365

Does anyone know if Notts v Accy will be screened live on that new Sky+ channel on Saturday afternoon???

• Like 1

Supporter+

It's Matchday.

CMON U PIES 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+
On 05/09/2024 at 14:44, gtownjohnno said:

Does anyone know if Notts v Accy will be screened live on that new Sky+ channel on Saturday afternoon???

I think you can watch it on SKY+? It's every team live according to the ads. You go in and pick your team I think.....

• Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

Accrington might try to kick the ball long when they're under pressure. However, I think most of the play will be on the ground. They might try to disrupt our play by kicking the ball away. I hope the game is played fairly and without any rough tackles. With the rain, the pitch might be slippery. But I think it will be a good game between two good teams.

• Like 4

Supporter+

• Like 2

Supporter+

Today, this is going to be a big test on how strong our squad really is.

Crowley, Jones & Jatta being out is a big deal, & Palmer still not ready to be in the starting 11 is another concern.

Just wondering where the creativity is going to come from today.

Lots of what we do will have to come through Grant, Edwards & Didzy today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  91

No easy games in this league, especially missing Jones, Crowley and Jatta - also with Palmer/Scott not ready to start just yet.

I still believe we will win.

COYP!

• Like 2

Supporter+

After a minutes long applause for Sven, we are underway 

Notts 0 Accrington 0