Renaming stadium?

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • š•:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I just caught the end of piece on Radio Nottingham about renaming the Meadow Lane stadium, they said the club were actively seeking sponsors to rename the stadium but wanted to keep Meadow Lane in the title.

What do you think?

Iā€™d say it was a good idea if it brought in some much needed cash.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

I am against this massively. Like you say, a fear of desperation seems to be upon Mr Hardy. It will always be Meadow Lane to me and I don't want it to turn into something like The William Hill Stadium. It just wouldn't feel the same and I would feel like my club is turning into a corporate club. I get that Mr Hardy needs extra funds but there isĀ other ways about it and he should've learned to budget better.

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • š•:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
31 minutes ago, samwatto2008 said:

Ā It will always be Meadow Lane to me and I don't want it to turn into something like The William Hill Stadium.

As I said in my post the club have said that they want to incorporate the words Meadow Lane in the title.

The Boots Meadow Lane Stadium?

The Raleigh Meadow LaneĀ Stadium?

The William Hill Meadow Lane Stadium?

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,808
  • Days Won:  193
  • š•:  twitter @piethagoram

@samwatto2008Not a case of budget better...a case of choosing the right peopleĀ and structure to spend it wisely

• Content Count:  40
  • Days Won:  1

Surely it makes no difference to us ?Ā  AsĀ fans, we will always call it Meadow Lane, no matter what its called "officially" by the sponsors.Ā  I really don't mind what they decide to name it. Besides, it would likely change every season, anyway.Ā  But whoever takes it on, there's money coming in for it.Ā 

Ā 

IfĀ I had my way it would be called The Jimmy Sirrel Stadium.Ā  Then we could all just call it The SanĀ Sirrel.Ā 

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • š•:  twitter @KB1862

Money shouldn't be an object. No matter how much money it brings in, I'll always stand against renaming the stadium. A clubs stadium is a clubs legacy. Will always be Meadow Lane to me.

• Content Count:  474
  • Days Won:  6
  • š•:  twitter OldNottsfan

Any club looking for success in thisĀ modern football era will have sold their souls to foreign owners, investors and sponsors. No club can expect success without major injections of cash. We witnessed the effect in the Munto days.Ā Money doesnā€™t talk, it swears.

its strange how Alan Hardy has, all of a sudden become incompetent and inept. This time last year he was the saviour of the club and strangely enough that is still the case. Unfortunately the current league position opens the doors to all the would be owners whoā€™s business sense has not managed to swell their bank accounts to match the size of their mouths.

We need to decide whether we want success,Ā or continue in the doldrums of the 3rd & 4th divisions for the sake of a principle. If Meadow Lane is to be incorporated into a new banner then what on earth is the problem !Ā 

Ask Derby fans if they would sooner play at Pride Park or go back to the Baseball Ground, Arsenal fans if they wouldĀ move back to Highbury, Sunderland back to Roker ParkĀ and so on these clubs have not changed their stadium name theyā€™ve moved location and strangely enough the sky didnā€™t fall in !!

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • š•:  twitter @KB1862

19 minutes ago, Truefootballfan said:

Any club looking for success in thisĀ modern football era will have sold their souls to foreign owners, investors and sponsors. No club can expect success without major injections of cash. We witnessed the effect in the Munto days.Ā Money doesnā€™t talk, it swears.

its strange how Alan Hardy has, all of a sudden become incompetent and inept. This time last year he was the saviour of the club and strangely enough that is still the case. Unfortunately the current league position opens the doors to all the would be owners whoā€™s business sense has not managed to swell their bank accounts to match the size of their mouths.

We need to decide whether we want success,Ā or continue in the doldrums of the 3rd & 4th divisions for the sake of a principle. If Meadow Lane is to be incorporated into a new banner then what on earth is the problem !Ā 

Ask Derby fans if they would sooner play at Pride Park or go back to the Baseball Ground, Arsenal fans if they wouldĀ move back to Highbury, Sunderland back to Roker ParkĀ and so on these clubs have not changed their stadium name theyā€™ve moved location and strangely enough the sky didnā€™t fall in !!

You have teams like Stoke City from Britannia Stadium to Bet365 stadium. Bolton now the Macron. The list goes on. I'd rather see it as Meadow Lane than have big money involved to change the name from a fan point of view. Hardy needs to realise this.Ā 

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

It will always be Meadow Lane to me , if the club can bring in extra revenue and retain that in the title itā€™s a thumbs up from me , all revenue streams needĀ to be explored in my opinion .Ā 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • š•:  twitter fmcj10

I often get told by people I have incorrectly named opposition grounds, especially in the past. I find it hard to call certain stadiums anything other than what I have known them to be and Meadow Lane would always be the stadium Notts County played at.

Like @Natty, they could call it anything and to me it would still be Meadow Lane.

It's an additional way of obtaining money, the stadium is a good asset and if it benefits the pitch/squad - go for it. There really shouldn't be any issue, as Pride Park to me is that and not the iPro Stadium or whatever it's known by.

Fans should view this situation exactly as that.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

NO NO NO.

Hardy should be reducing expenditure to close the ludicrous gap between income and outgoings. Players wages must be cut. They appear to be the worst players in the league (92/92) so letā€™s be ruthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

i would not have thought it would be a major worry, meadow lane will always be what we know as the ground and additional money could help. i am sure hardy is looking at ways to reduce the money going out.

we should avoid panicking just yet.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

God no come on .... meadow lane is meadow lane you canā€™t change that itā€™s history .. jimmy Cyril just for a start among the other players that have paved the way and managers ..!!!Ā 

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

i would not have thought it would be a major worry, meadow lane will always be what we know as the ground and additional money could help. i am sure hardy is looking at ways to reduce the money going out.
we should avoid panicking just yet.

The money coming in at present is being wasted though. We could end up selling our heritage and losing it all paying poor players ridiculous wages.

• Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

20 minutes ago, ivansneck said:

The money coming in at present is being wasted though. We could end up selling our heritage and losing it all paying poor players ridiculous wages.

the squad will sort itself out, i expect the club to release some in january but this will cost money.

meadow lane is a part of the heritage but its only the name rights, they do it with the kop and people say thats a good thing. why is this any different to that?

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  2

51 minutes ago, Magic magpie said:

God no come on .... meadow lane is meadow lane you canā€™t change that itā€™s history .. jimmy Cyril just for a start among the other players that have paved the way and managers ..!!!Ā 

I don't see the issue.

It would only be for a number years, I am certain fans would call it Meadow Lane. It's exactly the same situation as the league sponsorship and if the money was paid every year or in one lump sum if it gets Notts safe/into League One it would be well worth it.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

13 minutes ago, Wilfordpie said:

I don't see the issue.

It would only be for a number years, I am certain fans would call it Meadow Lane. It's exactly the same situation as the league sponsorship and if the money was paid every year or in one lump sum if it gets Notts safe/into League One it would be well worth it.

I can your pointĀ dude and yeah in these days money sponsorship in pivotal in these days šŸ‘šŸ» But to me the name means a lot .. meadow lane is the place where I went as kid with my uncle and loved it the place where my dad took my uncle first I then me. knew itā€™s the same place but the name adds to the magic of the place the memories you say meadow lane peopleĀ knows the team who plays there and they are the oldest team ..again Iā€™m a old school romantic at heart and maybe I should see that yes its goodĀ financially .. but I canā€™tĀ 

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Days Won:  5

I don't understand why anyone would be against this.

First the club has to find a company willing to do it.

If they do, it's only the name changed in the rights. The stadium will always be Meadow Lane, its just the broadcasters and stuff who will have to use the renaming. I don't see the issue, it's taking money for nothing at the end of the day. It's almost like robbing someone because nobody should care who buys the rights. Nobody complains about the Ice Stadium being named every whatever years it is.

• Content Count:  1,356

Honestly, I don't care either way. People complaining about this seems a bit pathetic if you asked me.

The club has to look at any additional revenue streams, it wasn't that long ago people was suggesting this to Ray Trew. Now it's being considered people want to flip out. The ground will always be Meadow Lane but say I say I am not bothered.

• Content Count:  149
  • Days Won:  0

I am not bothered either way.

If the club makes some additional cash or they decide to rename the stadium, it will only be short term. Take the money but if it does or doesn't happen I won't care.

• Content Count:  884

I am 50/50, part of me says it's a good idea but then the nostalgia side and potential chance that the name will sound stupid.

We will have to wait for more news.

It may not happen some not going to get my pants in a twist over something that might only be an idea or something the BBC floated out there.

Archived