Match Discussion: EFL Trophy - Magpies (H)

PON_News

EFL Trophy - Magpies (H)

Team: Newcastle United U21

Date: 09/10/18

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Harry Kewell opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Supporter+

I think Harry will take the chance to have a look at some fringe players and also to give them a game I wouldn’t be surprised to see the whole team changed from Saturday.

He said in his interview after Macclesfield that this would be a chance to rotate the squad and he even referred to the game as "It's only the EFL Trophy on Tuesday" which suggests to me that this isn't a priority this year and will be looking to remove ourselves from the competition. 

I think the lineup will be as follows: Pindroch / OXC - Bird - Brisely - Kellett / Osbourne - Crawford - Patching - Howes / Dennis - Campbell 

I could not care a less about the result and have no idea what the opposition is capable of but I will go for a 2-2 draw with Dennis to score both. 

On 06/10/2018 at 15:57, Fan of Big Tone said:

I think Harry will take the chance to have a look at some fringe players and also to give them a game I wouldn’t be surprised to see the whole team changed from Saturday.

Doubt we can do that without paying a 5 grand fine.

7.3 Each EFL Club shall play its Full Available Strength in and during all Matches. Full Available Strength means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

Which basically means four of the players that played on Saturday, or four out of the ten that have made most appearances so far.

there will be some rotation but they wont field a completely weakened squad, i say give the young lads a chance over others.

I still don't have any interest in this competition, I hope for Notts' sake that they can get a win because it does breed confidence but otherwise I don't care.

It would be good to beat Newcastle but it's their youngsters isn't it, I don't understand why fans are starting to attend when everyone was against it. The B teams need removing unless a fairer deal can be struck but I still think the competition should be for smaller clubs to go to Wembley.

We’ve got to give the squad players a full game. Yes, we have some promising youngsters coming through but the squad needs to be kept ready for first team action. An injury or injuries could happen any time and to maintain our recent progress we need to keep players chomping at the bit to win a regular first team place.

Giving the Youngsters  a chance is all well & good if you’re flying high but we aren’t and we need players ready to step in and maintain our push up the table.

• Like 1

Ive heard as there is no game Saturday we will put out a strong team. Probably for the best give the other players a run out or hasn’t got one due to the positive performance the team has put in. Have to wait and see keeping confidence right now is the order of the day.

Make as many changes as possible but leave the key players in that can be afforded to start, I wouldn't play Jon Stead or Enzio Boldewijn. Knowing Notts one or the other would get injured.

2-0 loss.

i dont think some of the players can be pushing to replace the typical starting 11, its just a very poor result even tho most dont care about the cup.

Hmm... like most I've got no interest in the competition, but I was at least expecting a better performance considering the players we put out. They were only up against a Newcastle youth side, it was a chance for the likes of Dennis, Vaughan, Husin, Thomas, Patching and Kellet to make an impression and by the sounds of it they didn't. A bit of a missed opportunity there...

• Like 1

I think Notts were thinking more about the league than any competition today.

Sorry but this is embarrassing that we lost to a team that seem to have taken it more seriously and the club want people to buy into this shambles? I won't.