Match Discussion: Game 44 - The Cardinals (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,352
  • Days Won:  81

Game 44 - The Cardinals (H)

Team: Woking

Date: 15/04/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

2nd from last home game, season is building to the playoff stages. its good that we have secured the sitting out the first wave of playoff games. i think its important that notts uses the remaining games to repick up the form after the wrexham defeat. we need to lift the confidence and just prepare to seeout the rest of the games as an undefeated team.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,789
  • Days Won:  27

In the wake of Notts County's loss against Wrexham, it is essential for the team to bounce back and put on a convincing display. Doing so would not only lift the players' spirits, but also those of the Notts fans. Losing in the manner in which our goals were gifted to Wrexham was undoubtedly frustrating, but credit must be given for the pressure Notts were put under. It's not as simple as saying that the players didn't turn up for the game, especially since footage of them getting out of the team coach was aired on BT Sports. 😂

A win in the next game would provide a great deal of relief to both the players and fans. It would also serve as an opportunity for the team to show that the previous loss was just a one-off occurrence. However, in order to maximise our chances in the playoffs, some players may need to be rested. This is particularly true for Ruben Rodrigues, Adam Chicksen and Aaron Nemane. Nemane's performance against Wrexham was subpar, and if he doesn't start pulling his weight defensively, it will be a weakness that opposing teams will be able to exploit.

Chicksen, on the other hand, has not looked himself for quite some time, which is not surprising given the number of games he has played. While we may not have another left-back, we should consider playing Frank Vincent in this position. We have a strong midfield, and allowing some players to rest could spark a reaction from others. Though we may have some time off, we should focus on training and preparing for the next game. With the right approach, Notts County can turn the tide and get back to winning ways.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

In the grand scheme of things, the results don't really matter until the playoffs start, but it's always a good thing to keep winning. Some fans moaned about Notts losing last time, saying it was all over, but look how they responded! I'm confident that we can get promoted, as long as we avoid making the same mistakes and learn to improve from them.

Woking will be a good test, as they're one spot below us, but ultimately we can afford to lose these next three games. It's the two after that we can't afford to lose.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

You heard it here first, straight from The Skipper’s mouth: Notts County will win 5-0 against Woking!

To be frank, I do think Notts will respond in a positive fashion. The times we were defeated this season, it's been away games where it took a little time to bounce back to winning ways. Every other time at home, it's been pretty straightforward. I think Woking are doing very well to sit third in the National League; I don't think anyone would have predicted that. And whilst the game is going to be a challenge, this time the pressure will be solely on the away team. There's zero need for points at this stage. Wrexham won't slip up; that's my personal belief. We gave them a good scare; we went toe to toe, but now it's about preparation for the playoffs and ensuring that chance of promotion this season isn't missed. Woking will want to secure third place; I don't want that position to be fulfilled by Chesterfield.

• Like 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,368
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Woking will want to win, I think they'll start bright and make it hard.

I am hoping we do make a few changes, nothing over the top but just sensible changes. I'd choose Jodi Jones over Arron Nemane and figure out an alternative for Adam Chicksen, like bringing in Kyle Cameron or giving Frank Vincent a shot instead. He needs time; a break would do him wonders.

Adam also knows there's limited competition, so it's a difficult thing for Luke Williams to manage that type of situation.

For the record, I don't think he's himself for a few games, but he's still a very important player and starting against Woking isn't remotely as important as getting him back ready for the playoffs.

I think allowing Ruben Rodrigues to sit on the bench and give Cadwyn Scott or Junior Mendes the start should also be considered.

The rest of the team writes itself, Matt Palmer is the heartbeat in midfield and John Bostock works well with him. To conquer Woking, we must exploit their defenders' vulnerabilities by flanking them. However, including Nemane in the game might not benefit us unless he enhances his defence capabilities.

• Like 3

Were you left wondering why Aden Baldwin and Richard Brindley didn't feature in Notts County's match against Wrexham? Check out this news update from Luke Williams on the absent defensive pairing.

i thought i would add my final thoughts before the game and include a score predictions, which i think will be 2-1 to notts.

i think langstaff and jones will score.

whatever lineup notts opts to start, i hope they dont get any negative responses and no boos for losing. if this happens i know it would only be a minority but it looks bad on us all. i think the game will be lively, i expect woking to give us more of a game. considering where they are, they should be able to do that. i look forward to seeing both teams hopefully going toe to toe for the points.

• Like 2

The Pride of Nottingham match report is now live.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,489

The first half wasn't the best for either team. I thought Woking looked like a decent team when they weren't playing the poor sportsmanship card. Neither team looked likely to score.

The second half was an improvement. Notts started to attack with more urgency, and I thought Sam Austin was class! His first goal was very well taken, and his second was superb! I wasn't sure if Aaron Nemane actually scored the third goal; it was a bizarre bicycle kick.

Notts largely improved once the first goal went in, and I thought the game was very entertaining. I didn't understand why Jodi Jones and Adam Chicksen switched, but once that had been reverted and Aaron Nemane came on, he looked quite lively!

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,114
  • Days Won:  54

I thought Woking’s press was good first half, only problem was their game plan revolved too much about stopping us and they didn’t really have much of a plan on the ball. They put in a lot of good work but as with most teams this year chasing the ball tires you out so as the game goes on we’re always more likely to score/play better.

Baldwin back was big, he’s vital in that middle of defence/sweeper position. His pace means no one can really get the better of him. Bostock had a great game too covered a lot of ground and Palmer looked better when he pushed higher in the second half. Deserved goals for Austin and it was good to see Morias get some minutes, he’s got a powerful shot it won’t be long before he gets his first goal.

I didn’t quite get the switch of wingbacks either, still don’t think JJ is best used here, it’s a touch of Roberts from last season, given he likes to play as inverted winger where does he fit in a formation that only uses wingbacks for width. Chicksen got into plenty of good positions but had to use his weaker foot, we looked better with a natural right footer there.

With the toughest games out the way, this run in feels like a bit of waiting game now. Just no bad injuries in the next two games please.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 6

i thought notts handled woking well, making them chase the ball and just quite happily passed the ball around. there was chances in the first half, but it was a polished performance until the second half kicked off. i also think aaron nemane responded well after being put on the bench.

also aden baldwin looked good in defence.

notts always comes alive once they score, especially at home and teams struggle to cope with that energy gained.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

In the first half, I don't reckon either side played all that bad. To be fair, Woking didn't truly get on top of Notts. It seemed that both teams took a bit of time to feel each other out. They tried to be more direct using their number 14 to create chances. We were more patient on the ball, but I still feel that Notts had the best chances of both halves.

They didn't seem to cause much trouble on goal. I can't recall them having any real chances of concern. Now, this may be my memory playing tricks on me at my age, but I reckon both teams gave a good account of themselves.

It just took Notts a little longer to bring out their true class. Once the first goal went in, it was good night Woking. They didn't stand a chance against Notts County's superior skills. Overall, it was a decent match, and I enjoyed watching it.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1,966

Sometimes it seemed like neither side was going to score the winning goal. I didn't think Woking looked like a team sitting in third place but rather mid-table. They lost the ball too easily, and fortunately for them, we didn't know what to do with it in the first half. I thought Notts created some good chances in the first 45 minutes. I don't believe it was a dire or particularly bad performance. It just wasn't the usual standard that we've come to expect, and sometimes that happens. Notts stepped out of first gear with a few changes, and it unlocked a lot of space.

I think Austin is playing the best football we've seen from him. It's difficult to imagine him being dropped when he's performing so well. I struggled to understand William's post-match comments when he was asked if it was his best performance to date. I believe it was. There are times when he looks quality, but yesterday he looked unstoppable, and we need that from more players.

It was a good game, and both teams played well. It was a pleasure to watch, and I'm glad I went. Despite not being the usual standard, it was still a great performance from Notts. I'm excited to see what they can do in the next game and hope they continue to improve for the playoffs.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,506
  • Days Won:  287

I listened on the radio, but it sounds like we shifted up at least a gear in the second half. It's encouraging to get a win against the team in third place, and with Wrexham only drawing you just never know. They need six points from their last three games, which I think they'll get but Torquay and Boreham Wood may well be tricky. If they get less than six we could even nick it, so it's important to keep the wins coming.

• Like 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,368
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

These type of games do tend to be difficult, just as it was against Wrexham.

Woking had pressure with the fact that Chesterfield could and did go above them as a result of them losing and Eastleigh failing to make a 2-0 lead count against the Spiriates.

The first half wasn't pretty for either teams, but I thought Notts moved the ball around nicely at times. I know there are a lot of expectations for the players to play swift, fast-paced attacking play but that style only works when you're comfortable on the ball. No one should expect the players to dominate a team that is clearly at a lower level, especially when both teams are still trying to figure each other out.

Possession was a challenge for Woking as they struggled to hold onto the ball. However, our players effectively regained control in a noteworthy manner.

The issue for Notts was that in the first half, the majority of crosses wasn't great, and it seemed more a case of hit and hope. That lack of quality from the out wide spaces, with Jodi Jones only being the exception, caused Woking some real trouble. We should've moved the ball through the centre of the park, as there would've been more space at times. They made it hard for Notts to find space, hence why we ended up going backwards a lot of the time.

I had the feeling that Sam Slocombe probably shouldn't have started, his kicking wasn't his usual standard, but he did fine otherwise.

Second half Notts grew into it more, Woking started to slow their game down and then the space became more visible. Notts picked up the tempo, causing the chances to become more fluid. We do rely on the channels to create chances and, with the play being more open, it allowed Adam Chciksen to pick out Matt Palmer. The pass to Sam Austin for the opening goal was a lovely move and that gave us the confidence to wrap up the game.

3-0 and a clean sheet, the first half should be forgotten and not dwelled on.

It's important to maintain high standards, but it's equally important to balance things out when you're preparing for a final promotion push. I mean, the fact Wrexham has more pressure not to slip up in their final two games, it's crazy.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  912
  • Days Won:  2

The first half did not meet the standard set this season, but fans should expect this from time to time. Earlier in the season, we had some scrappy away wins that felt like we had robbed the home team, mostly because chances came late on. When this squad clicks, the level of threat increases. I thought it was only a matter of time before we took the lead. Woking did not pose much of a threat; they had good build-up play but seemed nervous when they got goal-side. Any other team on their day would have tested Sam Slocombe more. Sam Austin was class from start to finish and deserved the man of the match award.

Edited by thommo

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,557
  • Days Won:  9

I thought Luke Williams made it harder in the first half when he decided to switch the wing-backs. Jodi Jones might be able to play on both sides, but Adam Chicksen cannot. He looked uncomfortable on the right side, but I thought he did much better in the second half when he played in his usual position.

Woking had spells where they looked good going forward, but they looked shaky in defence and gave the ball away very easily. The pressure from Notts was spot on, and they did tremendously to win the ball back. The goals may have seemed late, but that's football. When Notts have scored much later on, it's even more nerve-wracking. It was a solid win for the club to keep pressure on Wrexham.

• Like 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,514
  • Days Won:  15

The beginning of the game was somewhat back and forth, although Woking experienced difficulty retaining possession or making it towards the goal. Notts had a few promising attacks but nothing substantial. In my opinion, Sam Austin had the most favourable opportunity in the first half as the ball came down in an awkward manner, but he was still able to control it.

During the second half, Woking was bound to decrease the speed of the game, which is when the chance arose. It wasn't necessarily due to Adam Chicksen and Jodi Jones swapping positions, but rather the pace increased, and the players sensed that a goal was imminent. Before the first goal, there were two or three decent opportunities.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

Compared to the standards of this year, the first half was quite dreadful and, at times, downright awful. However, when considering all the dreadful squads that Notts has had over the years, it wasn't that terrible. If Woking had scored, we might have had grounds for complaints, but the game was rather evenly matched. It's challenging to find fault with a 3-0 home victory, a clean sheet, and a satisfactory overall performance.

• Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It sounds like the Wrexham defeat played heavily on the players' minds and caused a bit of a setback in play. Usually, I think a goalless first half isn't anything to be disheartened by. You have two teams in close contention with each other, one of which is desperately trying to secure third place. It sounds as if the win became a lot easier after the first goal went in. It sounds like a good win to me!