Match Discussion: Game 45 - The Stones (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

Game 45 - The Stones (A)

Team: Maidstone United

Date: 22/04/2023

Where: Gallagher Stadium

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  36

Don't Maidstone play on a plastic pitch? Not our strongest surface but we should still be too good for them no matter what team we put out. I wouldn't risk Langstaff or Ruben as they are going to be too vital for the playoffs, we have plenty of other options that can play in those positions and need to get minutes into their legs.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I believe so, as well @Fozzy.

I think the issue with plastic artificial grass is that it can slow the ball down, whilst making it more effort to play on. It's not something I think this squad will worry about, although there does become that risk of it causing injuries. If Notts can pass the ball around, whilst waiting the game to open up and then hit them with that aggressive free flowing passing that we usually see in the second half at Meadow Lane, I can see it being a decent trip for us.

Aaron Nemane should find plenty of space at the back to put in those crosses he likes to make, provided he starts.

I thought he made a real impact coming off the bench against Woking, he also seemed a bit more focused on defending which was nice. I am hoping Langstaff can get another, I know how desperately he wants to hit 50 goals in a Notts shirt. Which is very unlikely to be made in the last two games, but there's a chance if we include the playoffs. It would also be nice to see Sam Austin continue his form, dropping him for the bench right now would seem like a waste when he's on fire.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  3,376
  • Days Won:  17
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Well, it's time to address the trickier point - the final two games. With Notts having secured second place, I don't think the pressure is really on us. However, we have Luke Williams, who seems to have much higher standards when it comes to games that we could be using as practice for the playoffs. I don't know much about Maidstone United, but I believe we have struggled against them previously when Notts first played in the National League.

As for the players, Aden Baldwin, Sam Austin, Macaulay Langstaff, and Jodi Jones are all players I feel deserve to start, and I hope Williams gives them time on the pitch. Baldwin needs to get more match minutes so that he's at his best for the final promotion run.

• Like 5

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

Well, the players have the ability to perform both quickly and slowly. Some would argue that a faster pace is best, but I think in difficult games, it's much better to carefully pass the ball around. Matt Palmer should definitely be in your list, @TheSkipper. He's barely put a foot wrong all season and, in fact, since he joined the club.

If there's a chance that it might be harder to create opportunities, then Luke Williams may need to consider playing with a second striker, as one is very limiting up top. I don't think Macaulay Langstaff can do it on his own for 90 minutes without some bits of quality thrown his way. It's a tricky situation, but I'm sure Williams will figure it out. After all, he's got a great team behind him.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  18

All Notts can do is go out and win. If Wrexham wins the title, then so be it. For that reason, I hope nobody is focusing too much on that result.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i dont know if this squad will perform better on the pitch, its possible something that benefits them but i have faith the squad will work hard. if we can create some good chances, the game should be winnable. i don't think we need to overthink to much, with the way some of the players are in form they need to be kept in. as for how to break them down, we need to see some of the players like rodrigies and chicksen step up. i cant see williams giving chicksen a rest at this stage even though he seems to need it.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

I think there is a fairly high chance that the game will be slow-paced. It's unlikely that Notts will score early and I have a feeling that we might have to make a comeback. I really hope that none of our players will receive a red card for something silly. I'm not sure why, but I just have this sense that either they will score first or one of our key players will be sent off. I know I shouldn't worry too much and should wait and see what happens on the day. 

Having said that, I do believe that Notts will be able to overcome any obstacles that come their way. However, there may be some after-effects of the game that could impact the team. I don't think the game will be straightforward, but I still predict that Notts will win 2-1, with goals from Langstaff and Chicksen. 

On the other hand, I believe Wrexham will win their game and be crowned champions.

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,319
  • Days Won:  1

Notts shouldn't worry or even think about Wrexham during the game, it has no bearing on how we need to play Maidstone United. I would hope that Luke Williams' comments after the last home win, make the players react in a way to say, "You know what? We are fighting for this club". I think that is what Williams is looking for, and hopefully, the players will put in a superb performance. We just need to see that two halves are played with as much determination to get the right result as possible.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  74
  • Days Won:  6

While we still have a chance of winning the league, I don't think we should be resting anyone. I'd love us to make a real statement - 8-0!! 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

If Notts were to pile the pressure on Maidenhead, causing them a nightmare and scoring 8 goals but still not winning the league, it would sum up this club in a nutshell. I don’t see Wrexham losing, so I think the focus should be on putting together a convincing display that eases Luke Williams’ mind and shows the fans that the club is focused for the playoff run. It will be incredibly important to avoid defeats in the final two games, as confidence and morale are always big factors when it comes to achieving promotion. No doubt Maidenhead will want to try to spoil our run.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

Going into any game can be distracting, but on the verge of the playoffs, it must be daunting for the players in some aspects. I'm sure they feel disappointed with losing to Wrexham. Thoughts of how the points against Dagenham at home could change the outcome of the table right now are easy to worry about. However, the focus must be kept on winning tomorrow's game regardless of what else happens in the National League.

For once, we have a squad brimming with talent. Yes, we may be short in some areas and perhaps Luke Williams could have explored strengthening up slightly, which could have naturally helped this game. Yet defensively, that's the only concern I have. Otherwise, I think we're fine in midfield and attack. There should be good chances created with the depth we have in these areas. As for the pitch, I'm sure training has reflected on whatever outcome that poses. Really, football is football. Players can complain about the standard of pitches, but true footballers will just get on with it because isn't that what this sport is like? Playing in muddy fields or on pitches with bumps or that are vertically inclined downwards as it may be.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

22 hours ago, Simon Clark said:

While we still have a chance of winning the league, I don't think we should be resting anyone. I'd love us to make a real statement - 8-0!! 

22 minutes in, Cedwyn Scott (5) and Jim O'Brien (14) make it 2-0 to Notts.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  379
  • Days Won:  8

Well done Notts, any other year we would probably be runaway champions, take this into the playoffs, we'll be fine.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  3,376
  • Days Won:  17
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The players put on an impressive performance to secure a 5-2 victory over Maidstone United. Goalkeeper Archie Mair was in top form, making some crucial saves to keep Maidstone at bay. Jim O’Brien was also excellent, controlling the midfield and creating chances for his teammates. One of the highlights of the game was when Ruben Rodrigues stepped aside to allow O’Brien to take a penalty and complete his hat trick. It was a great display of sportsmanship and team spirit. The entire squad is really coming together and playing some fantastic football. This win is a testament to their hard work and determination. Well done Notts!

• Like 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,319
  • Days Won:  1

It was an excellent performance from start to finish, despite some slight wobbling around the 70-minute mark. However, the goals only added more excitement to the game. Jim O'Brien's incredible performance was well deserved. Although he had a few tough games, there was never any doubt about what he brings to the squad.

I was a bit surprised to see Macaulay Langstaff on the bench, but I was pleased to see Cedwyn Scott start. After Scott scored, it proved to be a good decision. It was mentioned that Langstaff had a bug or something, but I do believe that Luke Williams has been reading PON and taking suggestions about resting players. The impressive win, even with certain key players out, demonstrates the team's spirit, teamwork, and dedication.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  726
  • Days Won:  3

Ah yes, it looks like the playoffs are well and truly underway! And what a day it was for Notts County Football Club.  A comprehensive 5-2 victory over Maidstone United sends a clear signal of intent to their rivals. It wasn't just a statement against Maidstone either; Wrexham needed to work hard to overcome Boreham Wood earlier in the day, so this result puts even more pressure on them to perform. What made things all the sweeter for Notts fans? A dominant display right from the start, featuring confident, composed football from the entire squad.

Individually speaking, several Notts players impressed throughout the contest, none more than midfielder Jim O'Brien. His energetic showing earned him praise from supporters and pundits alike, capping off his finest hour in a Notts shirt yet. While there were occasional lapses in concentration at the back, overall the defenders rose to the challenge and gave their all without losing composure. With performances like these coming together in key moments, hopes will be high among those supporting the Magpies that silverware could soon return to Meadow Lane once again.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  18

It sounds like a thrilling match unfolded between Notts  and Maidstone United. To read about them coming away with a resounding 5-1 victory must have been a delight for all involved. Goalkeeper Archie Mair, despite making some crucial saves along the way, he didn't quite managed to keep a clean sheet. All in all though, the team demonstrated true grit and determination to earn themselves three points on the road in their last away game of the National League season.

The highlight of the evening undoubtedly belongs to Jim O'Brien, bagging himself a rare hat trick. Heading into injury time, he stepped up to take a penalty which sealed his place in the history books alongside the likes of Mark Stallard and Mark Draper. There has been talk of many standout individual displays on show during this encounter. Ruben Rodrigues provided two assists and put in some dangerous crosses, while Cedwyn Scott returned from injury to make an impressive impact up front and set up one of O'Brien's strikes. Notts must keep focused on their final home next weekend.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  54

Is that a lesson learned there, if we do take Palmer off, make sure we have Bostock on the pitch so someone can play that deep midfield role.

Credit to the team for not crumbling though and really pleased for Jim, his second hat-trick and this time there were fans to witness it!

I didn’t follow any of the Wrexham game last night, I’d have been surprised had they not won. I’m not sure what more we could have done this season in terms of winning automatic promotion, we’re going to break the record for most points only second to Wrexham now. I just hope we can finish the job in the play-off’s because this team absolutely deserves to get promoted.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

Notts absolutely smashed it against Maidstone with a 5-2 win! 🔥🔥🔥 That definitely put some pressure on Wrexham, especially after they slipped up and let Boreham Wood score that easy lob. Poor Ben Foster got mugged off there. But let’s talk about our boys. Jim O’Brien with the hattrick! Absolute legend! And massive respect to Ruben Rodrigues for giving up the spot kick duties. That was an incredibly kind gesture. The players have responded so well and they seem fired up. Let’s keep this momentum going! Come on Notts County! 💪💪💪

• Like 2

• Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

The Pride of Nottingham Match Report is now live:

Along with other comments, Ryan Reynolds offered some kind words to Notts.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Well, I wasn't sure I expected that result, and it's interesting to read the comments shared by @menzinho.

Matt Palmer's work in football often goes unnoticed: he presses the opposing teams, sets the pace, and handles mistakes productively to get the ball moving forward. I used Google to check in and saw that Cedwyn Scott had scored - that should be great for his confidence. I left the page on and noticed the 2nd, I thought the third was scored by Connell Rawlinson has seen a great with his face on whilst browsing Facebook. No idea if that actually happened, if I dreamt it or if it was something to do with one of those overseas supporter groups.

The final result is great, the two goals they scored would leave a few questions for Luke Williams.

Yet as Menzinho expressed, if we have someone deep like John Bostock it should be fine. Ftank Vincent is clearly more attacking minded, I know when he joined he said he can do the defensive side of the game, but he's by far better in attacking plays.

• Like 2

At 3-2, one might have thought “here we go again” as we’ve experienced similar collapses in previous seasons. But this squad is different. Maidstone United deserve credit for not giving up. From the highlights, it could have easily been a hammering for them, but they turned it into a real game.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  5,427
  • Days Won:  287

We did what we needed to do to keep it alive as long as possible. From the radio it sounded almost too comfortable up to our second-half wobble, but I never really doubted we'd put it to bed.

Interesting to see the Notts fans in the little tin terrace behind the goal, I thought that was for the home fans. I'm a sucker for a good terrace.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Maidstone are a poor side. It could have been 8-2. Notts have got to stop conceding sloppy goals. 

• Like 2