Notts County’s future prospects

AmericanPie

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

What do you think the club’s future prospects are now that the club has made its return to the Football League? What are your personal beliefs about the club and what it has in store for the coming seasons?

The board will probably want to get Notts into the Championship within 5 years’ time. I don’t think they will publicly say this, but they must fancy their chances of gaining yet another promotion this upcoming League Two campaign with 3 automatic spaces and one via the playoffs. Personally, I would like to know Notts are comfortable within League One. I think spending a few years establishing this so that the club can compete in the Championship has to be the ultimate plan. What are your thoughts?

• Like 13
  • Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I agree, let’s spend some time consolidating and then go for it, I think the owners have ambition and seem to know how to run a football club, the only niggling doubt I have is how much we will miss Jason Turner as a CEO, I think this position needs to be filled quickly but it’s imperative we get the right person.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I would say that I believe we have a good chance of going up this season to League One, there's much that can change, and it's all about the fixtures going our way. Yet in terms of quality, if we keep playing as we can, there's no reason why we can't.

This isn't something I expect, but I believe it's realistically possible.

As for when we get to League One, I have said the same thing many times. We need to become a strong League One club, there's no point gaining promotion to the Championship only to come straight back down. Not only could we potentially lose good key players, but you need to be a side like Charlton, Peterborough. Where you have the quality to compete at the upper end of League One if we do come down. The key is to establish a competitive squad and keep building on a core of players who are settled. This offers stability and direction.

If we can get it right at League One level, we might be able to hang with the big boys in the Championship.

I don't mean the upper half, I mean mid-table/lower. It's just a repeat process after that, ensuring you don't go backwards.

• Like 11

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  0

My current focus is on League Two. I am just happy to be back in the football league. I understand the optimism and belief that others have expressed, but we need to see how we perform in the upcoming campaign before making any further plans.

• Like 9

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Stability, if we do well this season, so be it. Provided we are heading in the right direction and trying to push for promotion, I think it will only be a good thing. There’s more chance of getting out of this league, but we need to be League One ready.

Just as easy as it is to go up, four teams come straight back down and until the club is good enough to be in the Championship. We will be a team that has to avoid the relegation zone in whatever league we are. Once we get out of League Two and into the next league higher, then we focus on avoiding that drop, becoming a good team and keep going.

• Like 10

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  493
  • Days Won:  1

All perfectly fine and agreeable comments. I, for one, would like to see Notts show real ambition towards making a return to League One this season. If it doesn’t happen, so be it, but we have been in the National League for 4 years, and I feel a route to promotion again would only benefit the club. After that, we can focus on stability.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

It would be great to get to League One if we could, it would mean there’s no chance of returning to the National League I never want to see that place ever again.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

issue with moving to quickly, is we need everything in place to survive. some teams are lucky they do well, others struggle and go back down. relegation could lead to a period where we are like was in the national league pushing for promotion rather than being a real driving force.

i think we are good enough to go straight up, but i think we would need a few players who are extra quality to remain up there.

we have a strong fighting spirit, but sometimes thats not enough.

i do believe we will be fine regardless.

• Like 8

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

League Two has to be the focus, rather than getting caught in the step ahead. If by Christmas Notts are still up there, then it is the time to start planning. I would like to see us be competitive in whatever league we are in and before promotion, I hope that this is the minimum expectation. So when we do finally get to League One, we understand the importance of finishing above mid-table. Finishing as high as possible will need to be the target. If in the future we manage to chase for a title like we did during this last season, it’s further evidence that the foundations and direction are right.

• Like 9

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

The club feels like it’s on a natural progression, with each signing giving us more quality and depth. There’s still room for us to improve ahead of this season, which I feel optimistic about. I think Notts will be at the right end of the table; we just need to ensure that if we lose someone like we have with Ruben Rodrigues, that we can replace him. Replacing players is the way forward, yet retaining players for long periods is also a blessing. Focus on this season; go from there. There’s no reason why we couldn’t be playing Championship football in the near future.

• Like 7

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,339

Promotion is the buzz. There’s no doubt it could play out nicely for Notts, but they have to keep working hard, which I’m sure they will do. Promotion is only part of the journey. Putting together a good set of lads with real quality is there. I think we’ve achieved the latter and should be able to move forward with them.

• Like 5

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,503
  • Days Won:  9

When you play good football and have won promotion doing it, with the amount of points and goals Notts scored last season, you can forgive fans for dreaming far into the future. For now, we are a League Two team and must prepare to at least push for a top position. I think if we end up in the playoffs or just beneath, it will have been a good return to the Football League.

• Like 4

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I’m not sure. I don’t want to get too excited too soon. It’s hard to hear Notts fans getting carried away because some of them are the first to complain. I wish more people at the games would support the players and focus on seeing our progress as it happens.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  8

At my age I would like to see Notts fly up the league's to the top table so I can relive us being there :). Realistically I think league one is about the aim at the moment. Would take some major investment to compete any higher and you can be in big trouble if that investment is suddenly pulled. Happy to be back in the league but really hope younger Notts fans can eventually see the club at the top.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  868

I'm really excited to see Notts County back in the Football League! But let's not get too carried away with Championship aspirations; first, let's focus on performing well in League Two and see where it takes us.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  419

I'm keeping a close eye on how we perform in our first season back. It would be great if we could finish in the top half of the table. Depending on how we do, we may even be able to dream of playing in League One. It would be incredible to achieve back-to-back promotions, but even if it doesn't happen this time, one day it would be amazing to see us playing in League One or the Championship.

• Like 2