Barnsley charged by EFL

Piethagoram

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  101
  • Days Won:  0

They have been charged, but there is no mention of what their punishment will be. Why are the EFL quick to punish some teams quite heavily, but others are only loosely pressures with punishments. As it stands, it's very much a non story.

• Like 14
  • Confused 1

• Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  1

It seems very suspicious. I don’t agree with point deductions, but if they are guilty of breaking rules, they do need to be punished. Restrictions on their activities and signings should suffice. If it’s to be a level playing field, points would be added.

• Like 11

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  558
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Why would you accept investments from someone the EFL doesn’t know about, unless something shady was going on? The Barnsley board have brought this upon themselves. It sounds as if they have been very secretive, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they end up facing more charges.

• Like 11

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

B188aMXCYAEkKVQ.jpg

It's going to be one of those cases where the punishment must fit the rules that were broken and the more rules broken, the higher the severity. I don't agree with points being docked either; however it's unfair that other teams get punished in such fashion.

• Haha 10
  • Confused 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

Barnsley should be punished for this. It sounds unfair and very much like cheating. If the EFL doesn’t know who’s putting in money, how do they protect the club when things go wrong? Though, if it’s been happening since 2017, then it’s taken a while for the charges to be pressed. If they are guilty, then they need to be fined for starters.

• Like 7

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

This isn’t a good thing for the sport and requires swift punishment. Accepting money from outside the club’s structure sounds extremely suspicious and should come with a severe penalty.

• Like 6

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

The situation with Barnsley needs to be addressed and resolved. If clubs are expected to follow the rules, why should they be allowed to accept money from sources unknown to the Football League? It raises suspicions of something untoward happening.

• Like 7

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

they need to have financial penalties applied to them, as if they used that outside money to help them with promotion or to avoid relegation then its unfair to the teams that have followed the rules. its hard for the supporters because they have done nothing wrong, but i hope it makes them want more transparency from their board.  its frustrating to read about this happening because the shows that the efl dont have a grip of accounts like they should do.

• Like 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

They do need to be charged for it but the rules need to be fair in terms of not letting some teams get away with things and some being charged or docked points. They can be quite heavy handed on some teams but leanient on others.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

This reminds me a bit of Munto, when our takeover was sanctioned without the authorities actually knowing who was behind it. Have they learned nothing?

As for a punishment, that's a tough one. Conway and Lee are no longer on the board there, and any points deduction wouldn't affect them. If the club hasn't gained an unfair sporting advantage, the punishment should be aimed squarely at the directors - they shouldn't be allowed to be involved in English football again. 

• Like 6

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

Dodgy dealings by the owners and board but it will be the fans that suffer most again.

• Like 7

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

Barnsley needs to be sorted out. I can’t believe that Man City hasn’t had their punishment yet for lying about the money they spent. However, Barnsley does need to be punished in line with everyone else and made to submit their accounts earlier if they want to lift any potential sanctions. When they do this, you need to force them into complying.

3 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

This reminds me a bit of Munto, when our takeover was sanctioned without the authorities actually knowing who was behind it. Have they learned nothing?

This forced stricter rules with who operates and owns a club, back when it happened with Munto I don't believe the rules stated you had to say who was involved. You just had to have someone in charge and declare who the owner was.

• Like 5

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Barnsley supporters will hope that their team won't face severe punishment. Even if the owners who broke the rules have left, it wouldn't be fair for clubs to be sold as a means of avoiding punishment. The board should have disclosed everything to the EFL and should face the consequences.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  373
  • Days Won:  0

What is likely to happen to Barnsley? Does anyone know? Will it just be the EFL imposing financial implications and a standard fine?

• Like 2

• Content Count:  225

It makes me wonder how strict the EFL is with clubs and their books if it goes back to 2017. They need to implement instant penalties for failing to follow the rules, with longer accounts and information taking longer to be given prompting a proper investigation. I do feel bad for Barnsley, but it does need to be cut out of the game.

• Like 4

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,133
  • Days Won:  2

Poor Barnsley, I am glad that they have been charged because these things shouldn’t happen. When they need the help of the EFL, they will go running, as will other clubs, but when it comes to abiding by rules to keep the game safe, that’s a different thing!

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1,091
  • Days Won:  2

The EFL must proceed with the charges even if the board at Barnsley has changed. Otherwise, other clubs may be tempted to disrespect the rules, and things will become harder to control. I hope they punish them quite strictly, as it will deter others.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  419

The fact that they have been caught is highly suspicious and I do not recall reading any expressions of concern from their fans. The situation with Notts is not really comparable as that was a single season and the EFL actively sought answers which ultimately led to the unraveling of the scam, even more so than Sol Campbell did. This has been ongoing since 2017 and spans multiple seasons.