Match Discussion: Game 3 - The Shrimps (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

One point gained or two points dropped, what do you think folks?

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Let me get the rant out of the way first. You would think Morecambe would have shown a bit more ambition as the home side. They didn't even try to play attacking football. A point on the road is a decent result.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

they knew we had the quality to turn the game on its head, they made the most of the chances they had and countered well. i think notts could have won if we had just that little bit more quality from the players but i left happy with the point and the clean sheet.

we can feel like we have dropped points, but really we have gained one.

neither us or morecambe had a chance that i could say, that there was a clear cut chance that should have won the game.

• Like 7

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,742
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Disappointed we didnt have the class to break through. Macca starved of service

Morecambe's only chances really stemming from Cameron and Baldwin misplaced passes

2 points dropped

• Like 5

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

I am fully inclined to view it as a point earned. Despite our efforts, without a clear opportunity, it's difficult to perceive it otherwise. I believe Luke Williams might have made a prudent choice by introducing a substitution at half-time, perhaps bringing on Sam Austin or John Bostock. Not that a change was necessary, but I sense that introducing a different player could have altered Morecambe's approach. They seemed to have a good understanding of our tactics and were attentive to marking specific players. In my opinion, the game was satisfactory, and I'm relieved that the weather remained pleasant with sunshine prevailing. We will undoubtedly make improvements; I have confidence in that.

• Like 9

i think had we played poorly, it would feel like 2 points dropped but we played quite well.

if we had the momentum and confidence to just go that little bit further, i think chances would have come which would have been a lot harder for morecambe to out. we need to figure out how to give langstaff the space he needs to finish. i would like to see mcgoldrick play closer at times and hopefully some of his clever touches will prove to be the difference.

• Like 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  210
  • Days Won:  0

While I agree with the dominant sentiment about us lacking the cutting edge, one thing to consider is Morecambe's defensive setup. They were specifically geared to thwart our attack, putting bodies in the box every time we got forward. We needed our midfielders to step up and provide that unpredictability in our play. But let's not get too negative here. Away games can become tricky, and walking out without a defeat is still a good takeaway. Footy's a learning curve and as long as this game serves as a learning lesson for our lads, I am all for moving forward from here.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  493
  • Days Won:  1

It's these kind of games when you really miss having a creative maestro in the squad. Despite having the majority of the possession, we just couldn't get even an inch of space in the penalty area. Reminded me a bit of the stubborn old Italian defences! However, I have to praise our defensive resolve too. We didn't allow Morecambe to create any clear-cut opportunities and held our ground quite well. With the new season still young, I'm hopeful we'll create more fluidity in our game and turn possession into clear scoring chances. A shoutout to Luke Williams too, his tactics might have not won us three points, but he did ensure we didn't leave empty-handed either.

• Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  2

Today was a test of patience for the lads, and us supporters too. The Shrimps were on the backfoot almost throughout, relying heavily on their defence to get at least one point out of what was clearly a lacklustre offensive display. You have to accept such tactics as part of the game, especially in away fixtures. Our lads tried their best to break through the barricade but fell slightly short. 

That being said, it's only game 3 and we already saw a lot of positives to build on. The defence was meticulous in its duty, ensuring a clean sheet. And while the attack was yet to fire on all cylinders, their effort cannot be undermined. With a few tactical tweaks from Williams, we have every reason to expect a much more fruitful result in the next matchup.

• Like 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,339
  • Days Won:  1

It was certainly a game that won't be remembered for a display of attacking prowess from either side. With the potential we possess, I believe we could've been more demanding on their defence.

• Like 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,086
  • Days Won:  2

It was a rather unique game in my view. It's not common to witness a team with so much possession struggle to score. It's a bit of a puzzling situation. On one hand, it's impressive to control the game, but on the other, it's a bit frustrating to see that dominance not result in goals.

However, let's not dwell on the negatives! Keeping a clean sheet in an away game is fantastic. I think our players could benefit from more top-notch coaching on breaking down compact defences. Games like these help the management pinpoint areas for improvement. I'm excited for a more assertive approach in our next match.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I completely understand and share the disappointment. On any other occasion, Notts would have managed to score one or two goals. Sometimes, luck just isn't on our side. However, the players made the best of the chances they had, even though Morecambe presented a tough challenge. We do need to enhance our ability to create scoring opportunities, which would allow players like Macaulay Langstaff to shine. Without resorting to clichés, it's still early days, and with time, improvements are bound to come. Notably, there are some strong teams that have had a worse start than us, which suggests that a winning streak could boost our confidence and lead to more favorable results. Looking ahead to the next 7 games, I anticipate a significant progression from our squad, and I hope Williams won't hesitate to introduce lesser-known players in an effort to diversify our attacking approach.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
8 hours ago, liampie said:

i think had we played poorly, it would feel like 2 points dropped but we played quite well.

Surely the other way round @liampie, if we had played poorly it would be a point gained but because we played well it’s 2 points dropped in my opinion.

Morecambe packed the midfield and Notts found it difficult to break them down or find that incisive pass that would open up an opportunity, on the rare occasion we did find it the finish wasn’t good enough to score. There was a lot of sideways and backwards passing on the halfway line waiting for an opening.

However on the positive side a clean sheet is most welcome and it’s still early days the team is still learning how to play against better opposition, I’m not unhappy with the season so far, apart from the first game.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  8

11 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

One point gained or two points dropped, what do you think folks?

Two dropped for me

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

Since we'd shipped 9 goals in our previous 3 games, it was understandable that the focus was on defence. So a clean sheet is a plus. 

All the same, it feels like two points dropped. We spent the first half playing at walking pace and looked reluctant to take men on, it was reminiscent of Ardleyball. If we'd been a little more positive then, I think we'd have swung it in our favour.

We looked a lot brighter at the start of the second half, but the substitutions stopped our momentum and we never regained it. That's a pity as Morecambe were there for the taking. They were well organised off the ball, but very poor on it and the greatest threat to our goal came from unforced errors by Baldwin and Cameron. I think the promotion celebrations must have killed a few of Baldwin's brain cells as his decision making was awful.

Despite some of the justified criticism of a few players, they haven't become bad players overnight. They're still getting to grips with a new division and a few changes in the team. The calls to replace half the team I keep seeing on certain social media platforms are ridiculous. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I listened to the game via BBC Radio Nottingham, it sounded like we were mostly on top, and early I think Notts should have taken the time to force Morecambe into continuing to play defensive. It was said that they seemed quite happy to sit back and to allow us to play, with them hitting us on the counter.

I've also seen various highlights and fan footage, which showed we did have chances, but they aren't quite perfect enough to break through Morecambe's defence.

David McGoldrick really should have put his chance away, as mentioned by @Fan of Big Tone.

His positioning was good, but it's one of those quick moves which can be difficult to anchor your shot. It was a nice effort, and I am not overly fussed that he missed. It happens, but I do feel we need to be knocking on the door a lot more.

Jodi Jones effort that hit the post, it was a nice move but always difficult with his positioning and the way his body is - not to see the ball rise up.

Aidan Stone looked much more comfortable in goal, he showed some steady hands but wasn't tested enough. Aidan Baldwin and Kyle Cameron, I believe make mistakes because they're overthinking things. Perhaps they would make less errors once they become familar, more so with who partners them in the centre back positions?

I might be wrong, but when you have a solid understanding of how the back 3 are, I think it's less likely that some of the blunders would happen because they know someone is there to pick up the play when they're being pressed. Perhaps, we need to cover the ball a bit better when our defenders have it, making sure that two options always move into space without being forced to play dangerous balls back?

Notts are a little static at times when it comes to making space, we need to always be moving and for the players to understand that if they don't. The ball will naturally go back more, simply due to the space not opening up.

Attacking wise, I do agree that we need to bring in Macaulay Langstaff more. He's trying but finds limited chances due to us focusing more on using players to force space to open up - rather than building and allowing it to happen naturally. If you can't split the defence, chances will always be limited, but there were moments we did break their back line quite well.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

What I heard from other people saying. It was like the notts from last season. Passing the ball around with confidence and flair. Attacking the box with purpose.

Notts had all off the possession, with minimal chances on goal, apart from chances from mcgoldrick and Jones who's strike hits the bar. 

Morecambe had 11 men behind the ball. They wanted to sit and hit notts on the counter. I really feel notts need something different whether that be a change in shape or maybe personal. Langstaff has looked isolated for the past few games. Hopefully it's just getting used to League 2 and the goals will start flowing.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Didn't get to watch or listen to the game but the bits I have read it didn't sound too bad. 

The one thing that I am baffled about is that we are 3 league games in and some are already taking to social media to express frustration. Since the opening day defeat, we're looking like settling in. Slowly but getting there. 

I like to see this game as 1 point gained rather than 2 dropped. Plus a clean sheet. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

I’ll take an away point, promising things and equally some bits we need to improve upon.

Starting with the good, Stone looked very comfortable on the ball and was happy playing outside his own box. Nemane is looking like he’ll be a big threat to teams with his pace in behind as will Jones with his crossing, they were our main threats. A clean sheet is always a good thing, the defence has taken a bit of bashing by some so yesterday should be a real confidence boost.

We were dominate on the ball, made 600 passes but only had 9 shots. Morecambe made 130 and had 13 shots. I know shots doesn’t account for dangerous crosses/opportunities and nearly getting a toe on them moments, but both sides had a few of them.

It’s great we’ve carried on from last season in terms of style, but the criticism after that game, given the amount of ball we had, was failure to create openings. I agree with others on here that Morecambe could’ve been got at more, we just needed a bit more sharpness and cohesion with the runs and passing. Quicker passing at times too.

I think over the course of a long season we’ll create more as teams start to tire the chances will open up, right now everyone is fresh so the patient wait for gaps approach is not as effective.

14 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Surely the other way round @liampie, if we had played poorly it would be a point gained but because we played well it’s 2 points dropped in my opinion.

i meant more based on the chances we had, if we had played badly.

• Like 1