One for the older supporters

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

A lot of you won’t have been born when this team played, one of my favourite Notts teams, what a great season it was.

5B01067C-5A5A-4513-A9C9-BBEBC77667AC.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 11

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Did you notice this from a post on Facebook? I believe I came across it in the group dedicated to reminiscing about nostalgic and abandoned stadiums.

My grandfather, Ray, used to show me pictures like this.

He had a few scrap books which had various things he had collected, such as news snippets, big news, team photos and ones of certain players which tended to be signed. I think my mum also used to have one. When we used to go to my grandparents flats, they would be stored in a cabinet behind their sofas and I would always dig them out. It's been quite a few years now, so I don't really call seeing what my mum had done, but it's something she did with her dad.

@super_ram did locate her autograph book which is filled with interesting signatures, not just from Notts County players but famous people of that time.

Even if the photo didn't have the names, I could name 8 of the people. Granted two are easy, being legends but the rest I learned from my grandfather. Les Bradd, Brian Stubbs and Tony Hateley also stand out like a sore thumb due to having seen many of the pictures of the years.

• Like 14
  • Love 1

Supporter+
31 minutes ago, Chris said:

Did you notice this from a post on Facebook? I believe I came across it in the group dedicated to reminiscing about nostalgic and abandoned stadiums

Yes I saw it on Facebook and it brought back some really great memories so I thought I’d share it here for those of my generation.

@Chris your grandad sounds like a true Notts fan, he’d be proud of what you’ve done with this site.

• Like 9
  • Love 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,897
  • Days Won:  5

I hold an appreciation for the club's history, even though I possess limited knowledge of the past. This has sparked an idea in me regarding fan contributions. The photograph is splendid, particularly those featuring Jimmy Sirrel and Jack Wheeler – they are worth sharing.

• Like 14

• Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

i wished brian stubbs was around meadow lane more, he seemed to disappear after the trews. i dont blame him after them and what alan hardy did. i know he will be getting on, but it was always nice to see him and les bradd.

its been said before but get legends like them down on match days to speak and say hello to fans and it creates a good feel.

• Like 10

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

We were truly blessed with an exceptional team during that era. It wasn't just about the figures on their backs, but the sheer commitment and dedication they poured into playing for the club. Anyone who had the privilege of witnessing this squad in action can undoubtedly consider themselves fortunate. The level of heart and passion they displayed on the pitch, playing for the clubs pride rather than a badge, is something that often feels rare in today's game. It's a chapter of football history that remains etched in the memories of those who were there to witness it.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,518
  • Days Won:  9

Looking at this picture evokes a strong sense of nostalgia. It's a wonderful snapshot frozen in time. The players depicted in the photo possess a timeless quality that would likely make them excel even in the modern game.

Although the dynamics and rules of football have evolved, I can't help but think that some of those players would still stand out on the field today. Of course, in today's stricter refereeing environment, Stubby's fiery nature might lead to more frequent dismissals.

It's intriguing to contemplate whether modern fans would fully appreciate the robust playing style that he brought to the game. Regardless, there's a certain charm in remembering the way he fearlessly gave as good as he got, a quality that made those matches so thrilling to watch.

• Like 10

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,467
  • Days Won:  15

Those were indeed the days of unforgettable memories and an exceptional squad, masterfully guided by the likes of Jimmy Sirrel and Jack Wheeler. The echoes of their brilliance on the pitch still resonate in the hearts of fans who had the privilege of witnessing their reign.

The camaraderie, strategy, and camaraderie that defined that era are a testament to their skilled leadership. It's heartening to look back and celebrate the legacy they left behind, reminding us of a time when the club was graced by a team that brought joy to the supporters and etched their names into the annals of football history.

• Like 11

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  0

The team photograph is a truly brilliant one, showcasing not only the team's unity but also one of the finest Notts-designed shirts ever worn by the players.

• Like 8

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Long before my time, but I love a good team photo! 

Barry Watling is either a midget or is not standing on the bench like the others. Wonder what the story behind that was. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,296
  • Days Won:  69

That brings back Monday morning football discussions at work and also banter with my Father-in-law.Great days.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  881
  • Days Won:  1

This photograph is exceptional, quite possibly depicting one of the most notable Notts squads. While we've witnessed numerous exceptional players, this image encapsulates a true team.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  373

The photograph showcases an impressive squad; Tony Hateley would have undoubtedly been a delight to watch on the field. Although he predates my era, I am well aware of his remarkable skills.

• Like 6

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

While I can only recall a small number of players, I still acknowledge the value of the photograph and I'm grateful for its sharing. I encourage fellow members to contribute their memories of their favourite player from that season, as it would render the experience much more relatable.

• Like 6

Supporter+
2 hours ago, NottsCountyKev said:

Tony Hateley would have undoubtedly been a delight to watch on the field.

Oh he was @NottsCountyKev believe me, he could leap like a salmon to head the ball into the net. Kids playing football in those days would say “put it on my Hateley” if they wanted to head the ball. He was my all time favourite player hence my username.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

How young does Mick Jones look? He stands out as rather dashing and handsome. It’s a shame he left this world last year. The squad and photo are amazing to see, though. The hairstyles may have dated, but their class never will.

• Like 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

That’s a splendid team, with cherished memories of watching them in action. Les Bradd and Brian Stubbs will forever be icons of Jimmy’s squad. Bradd could have played at a much higher level, but thankfully he had spells with us in the old first division. I still believe he could have been one of the best.

• Like 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  734
  • Days Won:  3

All the better for being in colour, as you can see the detail, players, and shirts much more clearly. It was a fantastic squad; Jimmy looks very happy. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  581
  • Days Won:  2

Interesting photo, I can’t say I know more than half of the players and even then I would struggle. Brad, Stubbs, Hateley are easy ones.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

• Content Count:  67

The photograph brings a wave of emotion, reminding us of the golden era of Notts County. The commitment and passion that these players embodied were truly unparalleled, setting a high benchmark that can inspire current and future players alike. Legends like these not only etched their names into the annals of the club's history but also in the hearts of those who were lucky enough to watch them play. The game and its rules may have evolved over time, but their legacy remains evergreen, thanks to visuals like these that allow us to relive the glory days.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,488
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

What a team that was. Tony Hateley coming back for his second spell, scoring 32 goals from 57 appearances. And, How could we do with Brian Stubbs at the heart of our defence right now? Oh and how could I forget. We had Les Bradd too, terrorising those opposition defences & the  mystro Don Masson orchestrating everything good from midfield.

Unfortunately, I don't remember who we were playing at the time in a home fixture that season, but I can see it now, Charlie Crickmore down the wing with a pin point cross right on Tony's head and the keeper had no chance. One of the best headers of the ball, I've seen. It was a great side built by Jimmy.

That Championship Win was the beginning of a couple of decades of success that I will never ever forget.

Supporter+
On 30/08/2023 at 21:39, DeadlyMacca said:

Interesting photo, I can’t say I know more than half of the players and even then I would struggle. Brad, Stubbs, Hateley are easy ones.

On 30/08/2023 at 21:39, DeadlyMacca said:

In addition to Brad, Stubbs & Tony, some other names from that team: Bill Brindley & Bob Worthington solid full backs :David Needham centre back later with Forest under Clough: Don Masson midfield future Scotland international: Jon Nixon & Charlie Crickmore on the wings. Barry Watling solid goalie: Mick Jones defender but could play anywhere in defence. Richie Barker forward came from Derby.

They were exceptional all over the pitch.

Edited by Robbie__64

• 1 month later...

Supporter+

If I could take any of these players from yesteryear to fit into our side right now, where we need them, I would have Needham, Stubbs and Jones in our defence and Don Masson in midfield, Macaulay and Didzy would have a field day with Don running the midfield. I'd replace Robertson with Don. Well you can always dream.

• Love 1

Supporter+

Don Masson or “The King” as we used to call him, it’s a privilege to have witnessed his playing days with Notts, what a player.

• Love 2