Match Discussion: Game 5 - Super White Army (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

Game 5 - Super White Army (H)

Team: Tranmere Rovers

Date: 26/08/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

TranmereRovers.png.0f97a87118d16f3a8dfcf

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

I’m hoping to see signs of improvement from Notts at home, whilst creating opportunities that could potentially lead to a goal. I don’t believe Tranmere Rovers’ position has much bearing on where they stand; they have a strong squad and if they sense an opportunity to take the lead, I’m confident they’ll seize it.

Defensively, my hope is that we can keep them at bay. Conceding two goals wouldn’t be ideal, so if I were Luke Williams, I would emphasise the need for strength when in possession at the back.

Opportunities should present themselves, being at home is an advantage for us. I’m unsure of the size of the crowd they’ll bring, but I would assume they have a substantial following.

• Like 19

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Kristian Dennis and Kane Hemmings return to Meadow Lane.

I don't know if both of them are available, but we most certainly know they are a threat. When we had the pair, neither really played together and that always seemed like a wasted opportunity to me. For some reason, Hemmings wouldn't always be played as striker, which was even more baffling. Dennis went in and out of favour at the club, quicker than Harry Kewell's departure. Yet, I always felt they had potential as a pairing.

Tranmere Rovers can't be underestimated, but I feel happier knowing that we are at Meadow Lane.

Yet there's that potential threat that they may play us in such a way, where they want to start their season and change how it has begun.

They started off very much identical to us, but we have picked up, and their time isn't going to be far away. So, I would like to see us play the ball out calmly from the back. Notts needs to be defensive minded that they have players who can force mistakes, so we shouldn't make it easier for them by making poor decisions when we pass. Our strengths have to be used and that for me is the quality we have in midfield.

If we can pass the ball around productively, taking any sting out of Tranmere's play. I think we should be fine to create chances which could lead to goals, as I say being at Meadow Lane for me is a positive. I would feel a lot more nervous if this were an away game, thankfully for us and Luke Williams we are at Meadow Lane. Our support could be vital in making this a three pointer.

• Like 18
  • Love 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

I am confident that if we play the way Luke Williams knows his Notts squad is capable of playing, the game will be exciting and full of opportunities. Aaron Nemane, with his pace alone, will be a crucial player, as will Jodi Jones. If we feed the ball to Macaulay Langstaff, we need not worry so much about who is on their team.

• Like 11

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Tranmere haven't had the best of starts. 1 win in 4 games. 19th in the table. They are better than their league position suggests. The Pies are strong at home and looked excellent last weekend. I reckon we'll have hit double figures in points by 5pm on Saturday. Assuming there isn't 25 minutes of added time.....

• Like 16

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

notts are in a good position with being at home, meadow lane has been rocking so far and an early start to the game could yield its rewards. i know its often said but an early goal would make all the difference. it would settle us down quite nicely, i just want us to make sure we put in a strong performance and creative enough to mix the play. tranmere look like they struggle with teams are not reliant on one style of play.

our possession play could be the main difference, especially if we use it well.

• Like 14

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

I’m eagerly anticipating our return to Meadow Lane. A sunny day like the one we experienced in Doncaster would certainly lift spirits. Apart from night games, there’s nothing quite like a dry, sunny match to foster optimism. I have high hopes for Notts; while Tranmere Rovers aren’t a weak team, they seem to have taken longer to find their footing. We definitely need to see an improvement in our defence compared to the Grimsby match. With two strong teams for our first home games, a win could provide a significant morale boost.

• Like 15

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  862
  • Days Won:  1

It’s going to be a good match, that much is certain. I can’t envision Notts playing in any manner that Luke Williams wouldn’t approve of. Tranmere may be struggling, but I suspect they will rise to the occasion when playing us on Saturday. If they cause any scares, that will be another story, but I believe Notts will give them trouble.

• Like 10

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
17 hours ago, Chris said:

Kristian Dennis and Kane Hemmings return to Meadow Lane.

I don't know if both of them are available, but we most certainly know they are a threat.

Kristian Dennis is certainly available, he scored last week in their 3-4 defeat to Salford, so I am hoping Notts stay strong defensively if not this could be another high scoring game both sides are strong in attack, it could be an exciting game I just hope Notts score more than they do.

I also agree that they are in a false position given the strength of their squad. Home advantage is a big plus for us of course so let’s see if the crowd can get us over the line again.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,483
  • Days Won:  9

I have no problem with Notts passing the ball around, as long as it doesn’t go back to the goalkeeper too often. This is counterproductive to playing attacking football. If space isn’t opening up in front or to the sides, then there isn’t enough movement. I would like to see Notts approach it like they did in the Doncaster Rovers game. Get a feel for the game, keep the ball and pass it in a way that creates chances without rushing or forcing the play.

• Like 13

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,102
  • Days Won:  2

I had Tranmere Rovers as being the game I felt the most nervous about in the early round of games, with them expected to be up there at the end of the season. I thought Grimsby Town would have been a bit easier, as they are still somewhat hit and miss. Whereas Tranmere has a lot of quality, quality that we can’t ignore but it’s reserved since the season has started. I don’t want this to come across as if I think the game will be easy, it won’t, but I feel we are at the level in our game where if we work hard enough and create those chances, goals will come for us.

The nervous feeling I had looking at the fixtures at the start of the season has gone, replaced with optimism.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  59
  • Days Won:  0

A clean sheet and a clean win, without any unnecessary cards, would suit me. Notts has to go for the win. Tranmere is coming to Meadow Lane at a crucial time for the game.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  269

It all depends on how Tranmere Rovers play. If they continue to perform poorly, it might work to Notts’ advantage, but if they try to make a game of it, it could be more difficult. In that case, I would probably take a draw even though I hope for three points.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  485

I fully anticipate a strong performance from Tranmere Rovers. We may seize our opportunities and pressure them into errors, but I don’t foresee them allowing us to dictate the game easily. I’m keen to see Adam Chicksen in the starting line-up, alongside Aaron Nemane. As predicted in the previous match discussion, Chicksen appeared eager to score. If we can get him in the same form as much of last season, we know he’s inventive enough to create and capitalise on any opportunities that come his way.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  217

I have no suggestions regarding the line-up, as I trust Luke Williams to make the right call. I am interested in seeing the squad, but I am less inclined to worry if something doesn’t seem right, simply because I have so much faith in Luke’s decisions when it comes to squad selection. He seems to make the most of the squad’s depth, so we may see some changes.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  17

I'm confident for Saturday. Doncaster was a really good performance from notts. Conceding in the last minute or so was a huge disappointment I didn't think Aidan Stone deserved to concede a goal. 

Being at home is a massive advantage over any team that comes to the lane. We have made it a really difficult place to come and play. The fans are amazing and we have to show that again. 

• Like 9

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,483
  • Days Won:  9

46 minutes ago, Callum234 said:

Being at home is a massive advantage over any team that comes to the lane. We have made it a really difficult place to come and play. The fans are amazing and we have to show that again. 

It feels like finally being at home is an advantage. We’ve been crying out for Meadow Lane to become a fortress for years. The atmosphere this season has been spot on, and I’m surprised no one has mentioned the PR system as part of the reason. It’s something for fans to get behind and be excited about. I hope to hear the KOP in full voice on Saturday.

• Like 10

• Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

Let's keep the match discussion going!

Add your pre-match thoughts, potential line-up and general view of the game. Including any comments about our opposition, what Tranmere Rovers may bring to the game. We are keen to see further feedback; let's keep the topic going.

⚽Can we get some of your score predictions? Comment below. 👇🏻

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

Notts indeed need to continue building on this form. Last season, the winning streaks and unbeaten runs were a significant part of what made Notts so challenging to play against. We are finding our footing, but I believe we should perform well at home. Ensuring that Aidan Stone is protected and keeping them at bay is something I’m keen to see, without any of these careless passes that get intercepted.

My prediction would be 2-0.

I believe Macaulay Langstaff and Kyle Cameron will be the ones to score.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  101

It would be a great experience to see a dedicated and resolute Notts defeat Tranmere with ease.

However, if the final score reflects such a result, it may be more due to Tranmere's errors. Going into the match, Notts should feel confident and being at ease with the ball is crucial.

• Like 6

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

I believe we have just as good of a squad as they do so I guess it's all down to who turns up wanting to win really as whilst I believe we could easily do it I don't know whether our defence will be switched on or not.

Edited by super_pie
  • Like 7

• Content Count:  681

Tranmere Rovers fans are doubtful that they will turn their fortunes around just yet. Now, knowing our luck, they will against us. At least before our current owners, this would almost certainly be the case. I think Notts should be fine. The worst-case scenario in my mind would be to lead, only to end up drawing, but I wouldn’t complain. It’s a difficult game regardless of their league position.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  348

I think Notts will win 2-0.

Macaulay Langstaff and David McGoldrick are the two players I would say are likely to score.

Tranmere Rovers will most likely try to get their season back on track, Notts are quite overpowered in midfield and our system works well. Whilst I think that we should be fine in possession and on goal, I do think they will cause us concern. Despite the clean sheet, I think it will be due to Aidan Stone as to keeping them out.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  510

It's great to see the optimism for Notts County's performance at home. I agree that seizing opportunities will be crucial, especially against a strong squad like Tranmere Rovers. The defensive aspect is a concern, and maintaining possession at the back sounds like a solid strategy. Hopefully, the home advantage will play a role in boosting Notts' performance. The size of the crowd might indeed impact the atmosphere. Let's hope for a well-fought match and a positive outcome for Notts.

I can't make a score prediction for this game, it's difficult to call.

• Like 3