thoughts on how the notts team is developing?

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

We’ve played with two supporting forwards/attacking midfielders behind a central striker before so I don’t see why we won’t, at times, do that next season. Scott played this deeper role as has Morias. Austin and Crowley are both natural there and Didzy featured there too. Jatta, Macca and Scott are more able to stretch a back line running in behind and I agree  @Robbie that Didzy’s game is more suited to a deeper role now. I think he’s more effective as a supporting forward as he’s much better drifting into space and getting on the ball to create.

So in terms of attacking options, assuming we are playing 3 at the back and wing-backs, we’re pretty stacked for attackers in central positions. The deeper sitting midfielders are where we need more additions as we’ve lost Bajrami, O’Brien and Bostock. I’d still say we need 2 more CMs. I know Austin can fill in there but I think he’s better further forward and this season could be too soon to expect much from Sanderson, I think a loan in either the National League or NL North would benefit him.

• Like 13
  • Love 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,460
  • Days Won:  15

David McGoldrick might not even be guaranteed a spot, and considering his wages, which I presume would be among the highest, I think we should steer clear of another attacking midfielder. If necessary, James Sanderson should be given the opportunity to start, as that’s the only way he’ll improve. Honestly, I’d prefer to start Jr Morias ahead of Didzy. He had a fantastic start to last season, but his performance declined afterwards. I’d readily reserve him as a substitute to bring on for impact. Cedwyn Scott should be chosen over him, or occasionally Jr Morias. Apart from that, I think the squad is shaping up nicely.

• Like 9

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Days Won:  2

I’d fancy two central midfielders and a centre-back, I reckon there are plenty of folks who could provide competition. Let’s not overlook that Jodie Jones can operate as an attacking midfielder, and it’s been hinted that he might be deployed further up the field.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  0

It wouldn’t shock me if we don’t need another defender, as Kyle Cameron might be heading out. I reckon another signing in midfield, on top of Curtis Edward, wouldn’t be out of place. The squad’s shaping up nicely, and I wouldn’t dismiss the idea of signing some young prospects to bolster our depth and cover potential injuries.

• Like 12

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,090

I was a bit let down with David McGoldrick, he can’t attempt to go solo or to keep the ball but I reckon he should improve with the new signings. I appreciate his efforts, but his performances from the middle to the end were largely subpar. As I’ve said, the squad is shaping up nicely. So, I’m not fretting about his position. I do think another winger would come in handy, perhaps a central midfielder as well.

• Like 8

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

the squad info i put on the first post has been updated with the arrivals of rod mcdonald and curtis edwards.

we still have three transfer listed players, which if/when they go it would potentially open 3 more places. the squad shape is good. i dont think we need another keeper. i think a right footed cb would be a good idea. along with another midfielder who can play wide.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,766
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Coming back to a financial view, still need to shift Rawlo, Stone, Randall

Loans out for Morias, Chicksen, Mahovo, maybe even Cameron?

• Like 6

• Content Count:  94

I can’t fathom why Junior Morais isn’t getting more time on the pitch. I’m aware he had periods last season where he was supposedly out, but when he was brought into the squad, he scored and generally performed well. His speed could be a real asset, but where does he fit in now? Adam Chicksen needs to use the competition to get back to his promotion season form. He was top-notch in 2022-23. That’s the form we need, but Stuart Maynard needs to give some of these fringe players a chance in their natural position.

Kyle Cameron shouldn’t be overlooked, he might be alright with the new additions. Yes, he can be a bit absent-minded and clumsy, but there’s a good player in him. The players listed for transfer, I doubt will be let go. The club has most likely had discussions with them since they were put up for sale. Connell Rawlinson and Will Randal could be a decent signing for a National League team, but the wages might be a stumbling block.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

I think the squad is developing nicely. It's good to see that the recruitment process has been aimed at bringing in defenders which as we all know was an area that needed to be addressed last season. 

• Like 5

• Content Count:  77

At this stage, unless the potential signings were major arrivals, I’d be quite content to see how things progress. We need to offload Connell Rawlinson, Will Randall, and Aidan Stone before making any more decisions. The only exception is if it’s a quality player, then I get it, but we don’t need any more squad players.

• Like 9

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

I’d guess the main sticking point with the three transfer listed players are that they are on a good contract, wage wise most the teams in the NL would struggle to match us and I can’t imagine any L2 have them as top targets at the moment. They aren’t under any obligation to leave, they could just turn up next season, train and see out their contract.

I don’t think this will be the case, I can imagine all three would want game time. The idea of a season of not even making the bench would be pretty awful and potentially set their careers back.

• Like 3
  • Love 8

• Content Count:  143

I believe we still require another wide player. I also hope that we recruit more right-footed players. Notts seems a bit too concentrated on having left-footed players, and over time, I think this becomes a disadvantage. So, yes, a right-footed centre-back would be a welcome addition.

• Like 10

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

hopefully we will learn news of the transfer listed players, but there is no guarantee that teams who are interested taking any of them on loan would be content with paying their wages in full. we might see us needing to pay some, unless we can sell them for nothing. i dont see any teams wanting to spend money when they might feel we are desperate to get rid.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  741

In my view, it’s commendable that Notts are prioritising depth and quality. All the signings have been first-rate, and I reckon a few more additions would round off the squad nicely. However, I have a hunch that we might not see those players who are listed for transfer leave. Negotiating salaries is a simpler task when one is without a club. If you’re eager to sign a player but can’t match their current wages, making a move becomes a tad more challenging.

• Like 7

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Expect three more at most to be signed, an RCB(seriously short if Platt is to play in the centre where he prefers) another wing back and a central midfielder. These could all be dependent on moving on the three players listed though. Morias will be loaned out, along with a couple of the kids and maybe Chicksen. 
Any other signings will depend on departures. Langstaff could probably be off but can only see us selling for the money we want, and I would not be surprised to see Cameron leave, but would hope he stays and fights for his place.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Notts have done great business to acquire 6 quality players that will strengthen the Boots squad significantly.

I expect two see at least another two signings through the door before the pre season friendlies start.

However, I don't want to see Notts walking 6 to 8 paces forward, then going back a pace or three by selling Macaulay Langstaff or any other of a valuable & influential players.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,291
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

This is our current depth in every position. Obviously Bass, Brooks and Slocombe as well. I've not included Stone, Rawlinson or Randall as I think with the additions we've made, they'll be gone anyway.

Still need at least 1 more centre mid and a right sided centre-back. If we don't sign Charlie McCann, I might just go and cry in the corner for a while. Kenton Richardson or Riley Harbottle for the RCB role

IMG-20240626-WA0003.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

I believe there’s still scope for enhancements, perhaps another right-footed centre-back. An attacking-minded midfielder could be a valuable addition. If we were to lose Macaulay Langstaff - and I’m not suggesting we will - but that would necessitate finding a suitable replacement.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  618
  • Days Won:  1

I hope Kyle Cameron gets a chance to fight for his place. Good competition might show us what he can do and if he can improve further. I think our next targets should be a right-footed centre-back and an attacking midfielder.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Would prefer a tall box to box midfielder who is good in the air, rather than just an attacking one. We have plenty of players who can play that role, but we’ve lacked the former for a while.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  455

We’re currently a few players down, and I’d like to see an additional 3-4 players join. With Connell Rawlinson’s recent move to Chester, it seems likely that we’ll bring in a new centre-back. It’s also encouraging to see Aiden Stone battling for his position. It’s commendable that players don’t give up just because they’re not the current favourites. While I can’t see him surpassing Alex Bass, he does provide competition for Sam Slocombe and Tiernan Brooks. Rumours suggest he might be set for another loan move, which, if true, means he might have to wait another season before we consider him for the first team goalkeeper position. I’d also like to see another winger, a midfielder, and potentially a more attack-minded player in midfield.

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

With Kyle Cameron’s loan departure, there’s a void that needs filling. If we could secure a right-footed centre-back, our defence might be in a decent state. Having two would offer more depth, but can we really avoid having squad fillers at this point?

If Macaulay Langstaff departs, we could certainly use another striker. However, I wouldn’t oppose giving Junior Morias a chance to compete against Jatta and Cedwyn Scott. A younger player who can step in when needed might be a good option.

That said, even before all this, I felt we definitely needed another midfielder. So, there’s still work to be done.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

ML packs his bags and heads for East London. A massive loss. With all due respect to our current striking options, none of them are going to get near 28 goals. Reinforcements are required but a diamond like ML is going to be difficult to find. 

• Like 1