Can England Get To The Euro 24 Final?

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • ๐•:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

The luck of the draw has come out in England's favour. England have been given a very favourable last 16 match against Slovakia who are ranked 45th in the FIFA rankings.

In the quarter finals, England could play either Switzerland or Italy, who meet in a last 16 matchย 

Their semi-final opponents will then come from the eventual winners of Romania vs Netherlands and Austria vs Turkey, so any one of those four teams.

With Italy not firing on all cylinders, England will never have a better opportunity to get to the final, where they could play either, Germany, Spain, Portugal or France who are all in the other half of the draw.

So PON members, can they do it?

• Like 10

• Robbie changed the title to Can England Get To The Euro 24 Final?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • ๐•:  twitter fmcj10

I think we have a good chance, even with the poor performances in mind - I believe the confidence could grow. I also feel that playing better teams might push the England players to be more at their A-game.

We concede one very world-class goal, so despite us being told defensively we are at our weakest I praise the England defence because this area hasn't let us down yet. How they do against a France or German team, I don't know, but I believe. As a supporter, I need to and try to be behind them to the best of my ability even though I am supporting them from home.

ย 

• Like 7
  • Love 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • ๐•:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Yes, England has the talent and depth to reach the European finals. Thereโ€™s a pathway opening up that given decent form and growing confidence could see us get to the final, I just hope the fans stick with them in the sticky patches during matches.

• Like 7

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

Southgate's Got the Devil's Own Luck When It Comes to the Draw in Big Games. But Despite this I just can't see England getting anywhere near the Final. The Players Don't seem Interested, I mean what do the England Squad Do Between Matches? They'veย  Played None of the Top Teams Yet and when they do they'll Get Ripped Apartย  even a half Decent Italian Side will Beat the 3 Lions the Way Southgate's got them Set Up.ย 

Sorry For Being Negative Guys, but for Yearsย  It seems Yes England Have A Chance in This Tournament Or That Tournament. And for Years the English Fans Have Been Let Down And I can't Help But Feel It's Going To Be The Same Again.

ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • ๐•:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

If England don't make the final, or alternatively, go out of the tournament again Slovakia or the quarter finals, Southgate will go.

If England go out, I believe that there would be so much pressure build against him from the fans, pundits and the press that him remaining in the job would become untenable.

I will also, highly suspect that some of the older players like Kane will have played their last match for England too.

So my take on it is that England will be forced to pull their socks up for the Slovakia match or else we may see quite a few changes to the England set up in the next few months.

• Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • ๐•:  twitter @KB1862

With the players England have and the favourable draw in which England have fallen in avoiding the big guns, England should be able to make the final.ย 

However, performances need to improve massively and players like Cole Palmer, Anthony Gordon and Kobbie Mainoo need to be included and be given time on the pitch. As well as that play to the strengths of our players with quick free flowing high pressing game.ย 

If we continue with the type of performances we have shown in the 3 group games, I can't see England making the final. If we come up against Italy, Netherlands or Austria it will be a struggle.ย 

We always seem to get the favourable draws, particularly in Southgates tenure, but never do much and stumble at the first real challenge of playing against a top team.ย 

If England fail in this Euros, I believe it is a bigger failure than the so called "Golden Generation".

I really hope I'm wrong and England goes all the way.ย 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

Any team that advances could reach the final, but I believe England will need to elevate their game and pace if they aspire to make it to the final. Iโ€™m confident that the semi-finals are within reach, but we need to see improved creativity.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i think yes, we can but its going to take effort, maybe a bit of luck to make our way. i see scotland fans are predicting we will land austria which is a game i would rather avoid because they look good. however, whoever we get we need to be prepared and confident. i hope we can make the final, it would be nice to win a major international competition but i dont think harry kane on his own up top will be the answer.

• Like 8

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

Yes, but as others have pointed out, itโ€™s going to require more teamwork. If England struggles to score against teams, relying on not conceding or finishing games on penalties isnโ€™t always the best strategy for progress. England hasnโ€™t been that fortunate, so hereโ€™s hoping for improvements.

• Like 7

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

Iโ€™m not convinced that the current form will be sufficient to reach the final. England has a strong team and anything is possible, but there are other teams in good form. Austria, for instance, seems like a real dark horse and could potentially make it to the final. England needs to successfully get through the next two stages, assuming they can defeat Slovakia.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  510
  • Days Won:  1

Italy is average. If we face them, it would be time to seek revenge for the unfair play and defeat we suffered the last time we played against them. Austria looks strong, but I donโ€™t rate Switzerland highly as they seem overrated. They can perform well, but at times, they appear average. England stands a good chance of reaching another final; they just need to play as a team and reach their potential. The knockout stage is there for us if we can improve our performance.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  561
  • Days Won:  1

I reckon the semi-finals might be quite tough, but I hope England can make it further. I'm not sure if we can get through the next round after this one, though.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

With Italy now out of the Euros, itโ€™s crucial for England to reach the final. Both Switzerland and Austria have proven to be challenging teams, with Austria showing a slight edge. However, if England doesnโ€™t demonstrate their prowess by securing a spot in the final, it would indeed be a letdown.

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

England vs Slovakia was one of the worst games in Euro 24. 120 mins. 5 shots on target. That's 5 between the 2 teams. England's tactics are mind boggling. England's squad is on a par with Spain but Spain play with freedom. England play like a team who are terrified of losing. England should make the final but a Spain or a France or even a Germany will beat them.ย 

• Like 2

We can feel fortunate not to be on the other side of the draw because if we play like we did yesterday, we'd get picked apart by the likes of Spain, Germany, Portugal and France. I said before the tournament, and I do hope I'm wrong, that we'll be out by the quarter final. We were fortunate to make it to the quarters but against Switzerland it's gonna be a tough ask.ย 

It's concerning that we went into this tournament as one of the favourites and now pundits are all saying "I think England can beat Switzerland". Before the tournament we would have gone into this game thinking we're gonna beat them but how the tournament has gone for us and the performances, we'll have to massively up our game as it's gonna be a tough game.

This tournament after watching all 4 England games, I've come away from all of them feeling deflated.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

Itโ€™s easier to say yes when youโ€™re in the semi-finals compared to the group stages, but I genuinely believe that England are starting to believe in themselves as a squad. They seem to be improving with every game. I donโ€™t see it happening, but I would bench Harry Kane and give someone else a chance. Then, knowing this wonโ€™t happen, he will score one or two goals, but heโ€™s been underperforming. Cole Palmer is such a talent. In my opinion, heโ€™s more gifted and confident beyond his years than Jude Bellingham. I think England will reach the final, but winning is a different matter.

• Love 1

19 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

I would bench Harry Kane and give someone else a chance

100% agree with you on this one. I've said this for a number of games now. He doesn't seem quite right at the minute. Perhaps he's carrying a knock or isn't quite up to speed with things.ย 

I also feel that his dropping deep hinders the team a little. Many times, especially in yesterdays game, the likes of Bellingham, Foden, Mainoo were all bypassing him and running in behind him. There was also a few occasions in which Saka got the ball into the box but Kane was nowhere to be seen to attack it. There was also multiple times in which Shearer on commentary said Pickford goes long and players need to get around Kane to support him but Kane didn't seem to challenge for any of the aerial battles. He didn't even seem like he wanted to press either, while Bellingham and a couple others pressed, Kane seemed half hearted to do that.ย 

The formation that we played last night is something in which we need to keep going forward. It offers so much attacking threat.ย 

• Like 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  534
  • Days Won:  2

Weโ€™ve ticked the box and reached the final. Letโ€™s keep believing! Itโ€™s coming home!!

• Love 1

• Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  4
  • ๐•:  twitter @Retro_Pie

The question seems a bit pointless now. Iโ€™m delighted to see England make it to another successful final. :Dย 

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,427
  • Days Won:  287

I have a sneaky feeling we will ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Spain are the best team in Europe and proved it tonight. Palmer's goal was brilliant but Spain's winner was sublime. Football as it should be played. The future is bright for England, a more adventurous manager is probably required to take them to the next level.ย 

• Like 2
  • Love 1