Match Discussion: Game 1 - Super White Army (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,269
  • Days Won:  80

Game 1 - Super White Army (A)

Team: Tranmere Rovers

Date: 10/08/2024

Where: Prenton Park

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Love 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  163
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

It is always hard the predict how the first game of the season will pan out, but I am confident that Notts can get a positive result at Tranmere.

I would be happy with a 0:0 or 1:1 draw on Saturday. I think that Notts should field a more defensive line up for this one.

My team if they are fit.

Starting 11

Bass, Gordon, Macari, Platt, Bedeau, Tsaroulla, Robertson, Edwards, Crowley, Jones, Jatta.

Subs,

Nemane, Scott, McGoldrick, Austin, Slocombe, McDonald, Hinchy 

I would play Jones supporting Jatta upfront with a roving role.

The side has been picked to ensure we don't get exposed on the flanks because Gordon & Tsaroulla are wingbacks that can defend.

I just think that for the first game, Notts should be more cautious to help to ensure that Notts get the right result on Saturday.

With that side Notts are quite capable of snatching a win.

CMON U PIES!

• Like 8

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Cedwyn Scott has to start the game, even though it would be nice to see Jodi Jones playing in a more advanced role.

It seems likely that Curtis Edwards will be paired with Dan Crowley and Scott Robertson. Defensively, we could see anyone start. Matty Platt will most likely be the pinpoint part of our defence. I don't know if Aaron Nemane has any concerns but despite him not being the best defensively, I do feel his trickery and speed would be a massive threat to Tranmere Rovers.

I think any player with a decent level of pace would be useful, as Tranmere might be expecting us to pass the ball more - in turn expecting to break up the play by intercepting the ball.

I don't think for a second that they'll be pushovers, but Notts must be stronger on the ball and more focused towards creating chances.

• Like 9
  • Love 4

• Content Count:  618
  • Days Won:  1

I hope Notts goes into the game without nerves. It's understandable, but the focus must be on putting in a good performance. I'm hoping Stuart Maynard doesn't focus too much on an attacking lineup.

• Like 10

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,460
  • Days Won:  15

I don’t know who is fully fit, but I think the starting 11 will be strong. Our bench should have some depth, although I think a signing or two wouldn’t go amiss. It will be nice to see some of the young players given a chance if it can be afforded. Tranmere can be a good team, or they can be terrible.

One thing is certain, they will give you a game. With it being the opening game, I think the outcome will be a draw. I just hope Notts don’t concede any soft goals.

• Like 9
  • Love 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

its good to be back! i have been looking forward to this fixture since the release dates of games.

i am looking forward to seeing how we compare to last season, but it is early days but i am pleased with how we have improved defensively. i hope the squad can put on a good display, if we could start the season well it could ease some of our fans nerves. we have a good squad on paper, i dont know much about tranmere but i am sure they will be tough with them being at home.

• Like 7

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,343

Tranmere will want to start their season well, and being at home, I suspect they will work hard to make it a tough test.

I will be interested to see how we start and if we can get going early. I think there will be some nerves for both teams, and that’s perfectly normal. Our key players should be Dan Crowley and Jodi Jones to supply the chances. I wouldn’t doubt Sam Austin making it to the starting lineup; he injects a lot of energy going forward. Though I do suspect Jatta and Cedwyn Scott.

• Like 10

• Content Count:  1,132
  • Days Won:  17

I hope Notts have put their Dismal Preseason behind them and Don't Carry that form into the League Campaign. Otherwise I see a 3-1 drubbing.

• Like 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,507
  • Days Won:  9

I would expect Cedwyn Scott to start. He’s been given the number 9 shirt and is one of our best options in the attacking department. I think David McGoldrick will be more of a rotational player, perhaps coming on from the bench. I’m not sure where I would fit Jodi Jones in, but having him in a free-roaming, more attacking role would be good.

He’s got goals, so I would love to see him take a few more chances from further away.

• Like 10

• Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It would be nice to start well and put on a good showing, but as long as we don’t lose, I will accept it. Some fans might question my ambition, but I quietly fancy our chances of winning. I am aware that it sometimes takes time for things to click. We are a new squad defensively, so this needs consideration.

Tranmere are looking decent. They should be up for the challenge, and the opening day is always a tough match for both sides.

I’ll leave the team selection to Stuart Maynard, though I will give my thoughts on that selection and how they perform based on how the game unfolds. I am looking forward to the game. It should provide a good insight, even though it’s early, into what we might expect over the course of the season.

• Like 4
  • Love 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  280

I hope we make better use of possession this season than we did last year. At times, it felt like we ran out of ideas, but this has noticeably improved in pre-season.

If we hit the target, the goals should come, and I’m hopeful we’ll be much stronger in defence.

With Alex Bass and the new defenders, we have more depth at the back, so I’m optimistic that we won’t concede as often. I don’t think Notts will be much different in other areas, just more organised and effective.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  1,090
  • Days Won:  2

It has the potential to fuel further excitement or disappointment. I hope the players don’t read any social media comments and stay focused on just playing their best. I do think we could do well if we play well enough.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  525

We can’t really have any expectations until we’ve seen the team compete against several good clubs. However, I hope we do well against Tranmere. Their ground makes little difference if we travel in voice. If we are at our best as fans and create an encouraging atmosphere, we could out-sing them.

• Like 7

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

I'd expect the team that started against Peterborough in that first game will make up the majority of the starting 11. I'm hoping that Robertson is fit enough to start and I'd be tempted to partner him with Edwards, otherwise I guess Hinchy will get his first start!

Tough first game, like many have alluded to, I'd be happy with a draw.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  277
  • Days Won:  0

It seems the pre-season has made some fans less optimistic, but we did well against Tranmere last season and our squad hasn’t changed all that much. I don’t think losing Macaulay Langstaff should put a dampener on things. Once the season gets underway, hopefully that and the Maynard out brigade will be silenced.

I think Notts will win against Tranmere 2-0.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  370

It could be a miserable day for fans. If Notts do well, the doubters and constant fault-finders will be upset that they have to wait to continue moaning about the club. If the club doesn’t do well, they will be out in force. If we draw, it won’t please most, even if it is a good match.

I think we should all be hoping for the best. Tranmere wasn’t that good last season, and with the improvements Notts has made, we should be better. It all depends on how well their new players fit in.

• Like 4

Supporter+

I'm wondering if it will be a little while before we see Matt Palmer in the side? The arrival of Conor Grant gives Notts more options in midfield while Matt is getting back to full fitness.

Conor is traveling with the team to Tranmere so I wonder if he will feature either in the starting 11 or on the bench?

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

I can't see us playing Grant, I don't think he's even had a training session with us. If Robertson is fit he'll start, alongside either Edwards, Hinchy or even Crowley.

It'll be interesting to see whether we'll persist with three at the back with wing backs this season. SM switched to four at the back at times last season.

@NottsCountyKev, if it's a miserable day for the mood hoovers, I think most of us could settle for that!

• Like 3

• Content Count:  91

Let´s go all in and be brave. No hesitation.

Hoping for a narrow 2:1 win. Excited to finally watch some of our new signings.

COYP!

Edited by Morten Johansen
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  184

It’s all about creating chances, hitting the target, and making them count. I hope the game is wide open, with both teams really trying to make it entertaining. There’s a chance it might be slow, with both teams holding back, but in that case, you hope someone will show their skill. Our match and the MK Dons vs Bradford game are the biggest on this opening day.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Stuart Maynard picks his first side for the first game of the season.

So many injuries to start the season. Concerning that Palmer has picked up an injury again. Looks like Chicksen on the left and Jones on the right.

I'm a little worried about getting exposed on the flanks.

Supporter+

Supporter+

Goalless at half time.

Happy with that.