Match Discussion: Game 3 - The Mariners (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • š•:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I watched a recording without knowing the score, it was a great match, Crowley ran the show he was absolutely superb if I was a league 1 or Championship scout Iā€™d be straight on the phone. Jodie was brilliant as always, Edwards deserves a mention as does Beddau in defence. Superb all round performance by Notts well worth stopping up til the early hours to watch.

COME ON YOU PIES!!

• Like 15
  • Love 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • š•:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Attendance was 10,046 tonight.

Not bad for a Thursday night with the Sky Cameras too.

Updated League table

Ā 

Screenshot_20240823-083919.png

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  525
  • Days Won:  1

From where I sat, neither of the first two goals looked dubious. The highlights suggest differently, but both sets of fans know how appalling the level of officiating is in League Two.

Taking the goals out of it, Notts were so much better than Grimsby, mainly due to the quality of Jones and Crowley. There was great support from two proper sets of fans. The attendance was 10,000, but it would have been 13,000 if not for Sky affecting the game.

• Like 14

• Content Count:  902
  • Days Won:  3

Keeping Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley is imperative if we want to progress.

They are both head and shoulders above anything in this league. A couple of decisions went our way for a change, but even so, it was a well-deserved win. Credit to the 1,400 Mariners who travelled and helped make a good atmosphere. The game was a credit to League Two.

• Like 5
  • Love 10

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i thought notts made the game look very routine, from the moment the game kicked off you could see how the training had impacted how we played. such good quick football at times, where we would be patient when needed. i know we can only beat what is put in front of us but how poor were grimsby defensively? @ChrisĀ was spot on about their keeper.

grimsby did look good going forward but not enough to make it look like there was anything more than just chances.

i am not disappointed we conceded, not when we play like that and i did not see much wrong with our goals. i might be wrong, but grimsby fans calling the referee, i dont think he made any difference to the game. i dont know why our fans are praising them for the noise they made, they was silent for most of the game. it was a good amount for a thursday night and i respect that, but they could have been more involved. just like the grimsby town defence i suppose.

as for the notts players, i dont want to single out any individuals because it was a great team performance.

• Like 13

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  567
  • Days Won:  2

Quality performance, such a strong showing. Every player for Notts made it possible to win, even though Grimsby were poor. I do think they had moments where they threatened. We just dealt with them well as a team.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  15

There is little room for errors in football. During the game, I thought the first two goals were perfectly fine. I do think Grimsby fans have a point about the offside, but I am still unsure about the handball. The camera angles donā€™t help, but it doesnā€™t confirm it for me. Notts played exceptionally well; this is the standard we need to set for ourselves. I donā€™t expect four goals in every game, but we need to be more clinical in finishing our chances. If a keeper does well, itā€™s easier to shrug off and explain. When you only get one shot on target, it doesnā€™t set the tone, even if itā€™s early. If Notts are to continue pushing for promotion, we will need consistency. Itā€™s fine to perform this well when the Sky cameras are on, but we need to make sure we give a good account as often as possible. The football yesterday was pleasing and enjoyable to watch. Our players did well and deserve all the praise they are getting.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  0

It was a strong performance and very pleasing to watch. It makes a change that Notts gets the rub of the green. I think the second goal could be considered lucky not to have been disallowed, but those are distractions from how Notts played and excuses for why Grimsby were so poor. I donā€™t want to get carried away, but a few more performances like this and we might have more optimism that we could challenge for promotion. I think the early signs are good.

• Like 8

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,701
  • Days Won:  36

Canā€™t argue with any comments, I thought it was the performance under Maynard at home by a mile.

Other than JJ and Crowley, I thought Edwardā€™s had a cracking game playing further up the field. Plays the simple ball, doesnā€™t try to over complicate things and pressed brilliantly. The only thing I could fault him with was his half hearted challenge for their goal.

Another thing that struck me was how we werenā€™t afraid to take on the ā€˜pressā€™. Both Williams and Burchnall both struggled to come to terms with sides that pressed us, but last night we played short crisp passes in order to break out effectively, but Bass also wasnā€™t afraid to go long when needed in order to mix it up.

Overall, a great result but consistency will be key, especially against the better sides. Still a couple of players short, but the squad is looking very good, I just hope Robboā€™s injury isnā€™t too serious.

Ā 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  224

I thought Notts were class throughout the game. I felt very impressed that nerves never seemed to be a problem. As for Grimsby scoring, it was a consolation goal for the travelling 1,400 odd fans that took the trip on Thursday afternoon. They were pretty quiet most of the time, but that dedication to attending the fixture deserves respect. We should have all gone home very happy. Isnā€™t it good not to have any complaints about the referee? For once, it was Grimsby fans calling out the official. Stuart Maynard has the chance to get this out of the squad more often, and it shows how the squad are settling in together.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  686
  • Days Won:  0

Notts showed how mighty we can be. It helps to ease the worry about scoring goals. It would be nice to see this form on the road, and the performances as I think Meadow Lane will be able to get good results. Itā€™s away from home where I am unsure, but yesterday convinced me to be optimistic about things.

• Like 6

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

Great performance yesterday. Crowley and Jones were outstanding (and must be kept!), but in general we were a class better than Grimsby. They get stick sometimes, but credit must go to the recruitment team who have a knack of bringing in proper footballers who no one else seems to have in their sights. We saw the result of that on the pitch last night.

There were some borderline calls and lady luck did help us out at times. I'm not convinced that Crowley handled the ball for his first and Jatta was about level for his goal, but if we had VAR neither goal would have stood. I also think Grimsby would have had a penalty as Hinchey was nowhere near the ball. But we were much the better side and would have won regardless.

Finally, 10,000 on a Thursday night is amazing. I remember being glad to get more than 4,000 for midweek games.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

• Content Count:  616

Notts controlled and restricted Grimsby, and I believe they became weaker as we took charge, though they did make some attempts. Their defence was very poor, they need to improve. I'm pleased we got the three points, and I hope it's the start of better things to come. Delighted for Stuart Maynard.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  278

Notts deserved the win. It was a good result, and Grimsby didnā€™t know how to handle Notts. They simply couldnā€™t cope, and the more Notts grew in confidence, the better the chances came. Would I feel hard done by if the result was the other way around? It would be annoying, but some of their fans, just like ours, like to cry over spilt milk. Itā€™s football, it happens. Whilst I sympathise that perhaps one goal should definitely have been disallowed, the fault lies with the referee, not Notts.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  493

Notts played some superb football. Some of the long-distance passing would have been fitting in the Championship. Curtis Edwards looks to have one hell of a pass on him. The number of long upfield passes he made put Grimsby on the back foot. I was more impressed with him than I was with Dan Crowley. Crowley had a great game but grew in confidence after his second goal. Edwards played exceptionally well throughout.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  868

I didnā€™t expect the performance. I donā€™t know about anyone else, but I think the idea of Notts putting 4 goals past Grimsby would have been rare. It was a classy performance by Notts. I felt a bit sorry for the travelling Grimsby fans. They tried to spark some banter with their chants, which was nice to hear, but their team let them down. It looked like they didnā€™t know how to cope against Notts, who played in fifth gear.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Days Won:  5

Itā€™s sometimes hard to see what happens, but Iā€™ve seen a video Sky Sports released that clearly shows the ball bouncing off both of Dan Crowleyā€™s hands. As for the offside, Iā€™m not sure there was any interference. They change the rules so much itā€™s hard to be certain. It did look like offside, but I think even if the goals were disallowed, Notts would have gone on to win anyway. It was a brilliant performance, and I understand Grimsby fansā€™ complaints, but the decision is final now. Theyā€™ll get a similar favour at some point, which they might not mind then.

• Like 1

• Chris unfeatured this topic