Match Discussion: Game 27 - The Hatters (A)

Dripsey3

Supporter+

Luton actually have 2 reasons to dislike Notts. In 1991, we beat them and condemned to relegation from the old first division. We were already relegated but it was nice to leave on a high. Then we relegated them out of the football league after they had that massive points deduction. Football is a funny old game......

Notts beat Luton 3-2 at home back in September. Izzy's double had Notts 2 up, but the inevitable last 20 minute collapse meant Luton were level going into injury time. Late drama saw a Luton player sent off for a last man foul and Noble fire in the resulting free kick to give Notts victory. Both managers have since been fired. 

Luton are 15th in the table on 34 points (2 places and 1 point above Notts). They have scored 40 goals (2 more than Notts) and conceded 38 goals (8 less than Notts). They have won 1, drew 2 and lost 2 of their last 5 games. They beat Mansfield away, drew with Portsmouth away, drew with Cambridge at home and lost to Bristol Rovers and Wycombe on the road. They haven't conceded a goal in their last 2 games. Nathan Jones was appointed manager on Jan. 6th and has yet to taste defeat. 

Mark Tyler is the usual GK but he went off injured against Cambridge and missed the game at Mansfield. Justham stepped in and kept a clean sheet against Mansfield. Alan Sheehan joined Luton on loan before the Mansfield game and played at CB. Another ex Notts player Paddy McCourt scored the opener and set up the second goal at Mansfield. 

Jones has made Luton hard to beat. He has 2 midfielders sitting just in front of the back 4. His favourite formation is 4-2-3-1. 3 attacking midfielders sit behind a lone striker. I don't think they will change a winning side so Craig Mackail-Smith will start up front. McCourt, Ruddock & McGeehan should be the 3 attacking midfielders. Ruddock and McGeehan will play in the wide positions, leaving McCourt in the middle. Ruddock and McCourt are the danger men. McCourt is incredible when he is on form. 

I expect Notts to sit back like they did against Crawley and hope to score on the break. I don't think that will work against a side as defensively organized as Luton. We would be better off taking the game to them IMO. Put them on the back foot. My prediction? 2-0 to the home side if we persist with the negative style adopted by JF. It won't trouble decent sides like Luton. 

Edited by Dripsey3
  • Like 2

We share two distinctions with Luton: they are one of the other teams who were relegated from the first division to the first division, and, like Notts, resigned from the Football League in 1992 in readiness for the Premier League but never actually played in the PL. I seem to remember Rob Matthews playing for Luton when he left us about that time. Their chairman is former morning TV and current Midlands Today presenter Nick Owen.

McCourt never did much for us but he'll be a big danger on Saturday now that Luton have some wind under their sails. He's what Jimmy Sirrel would have called a "joiner-in".

Same prediction from me......a loss of 2-0

In a desperate bid to be positive, I will backing under 2.5 goals....and hoping for a surprise 1-1 draw but as dripsey says, I think will be caught out again by sitting too deep in defence and trying to play on the break.

I have also placed a £1 bet at 10,000 to 1........ on our "hoofball" tactics taking out a low-flying orange aircraft coming in to land at Luton Airport!

• Like 1

Luton Town should be higher than they are, decent side who have made several good signings this season. Mick Halford has recently gone back as thier head of recuiting, which I think would help them as they build for promotion.

I'm not convinced Notts will get anything from this game.

They'll look to flood us with their attacks, they have players who can and will pressure us - if we look to be defensive, we will play into their hands. It would be poor of them not to score. I just hope we can build and create chances, two strikers and proper wingers please.

• Like 1

it's pretty sad, i'm starting to get the feeling of, " Oh **** it's Saturday, I gotta Listen to Notts and the Mrs has to Watch Villa. 

I don't know anymore, as JF seemed to have wiped out all Aspects of exciting attack, and we've reverted back to the "Good owd" Hoofball. 

Notts 0 - 3 Luton 

We won't get relegated but we'll be down near 19th ish 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dripsey3 said:

Luton actually have 2 reasons to dislike Notts. In 1991, we beat them and condemned to relegation from the old first division. We were already relegated but it was nice to leave on a high. Then we relegated them out of the football league after they had that massive points deduction. Football is a funny old game......

Notts beat Luton 3-2 at home back in September. Izzy's double had Notts 2 up, but the inevitable last 20 minute collapse meant Luton were level going into injury time. Late drama saw a Luton player sent off for a last man foul and Noble fire in the resulting free kick to give Notts victory. Both managers have since been fired. 

Luton are 15th in the table on 34 points (2 places and 1 point above Notts). They have scored 40 goals (2 more than Notts) and conceded 38 goals (8 less than Notts). They have won 1, drew 2 and lost 2 of their last 5 games. They beat Mansfield away, drew with Portsmouth away, drew with Cambridge at home and lost to Bristol Rovers and Wycombe on the road. They haven't conceded a goal in their last 2 games. Nathan Jones was appointed manager on Jan. 6th and has yet to taste defeat. 

Mark Tyler is the usual GK but he went off injured against Cambridge and missed the game at Mansfield. Justham stepped in and kept a clean sheet against Mansfield. Alan Sheehan joined Luton on loan before the Mansfield game and played at CB. Another ex Notts player Paddy McCourt scored the opener and set up the second goal at Mansfield. 

Jones has made Luton hard to beat. He has 2 midfielders sitting just in front of the back 4. His favourite formation is 4-2-3-1. 3 attacking midfielders sit behind a lone striker. I don't think they will change a winning side so Craig Mackail-Smith will start up front. McCourt, Ruddock & McGeehan should be the 3 attacking midfielders. Ruddock and McGeehan will play in the wide positions, leaving McCourt in the middle. Ruddock and McCourt are the danger men. McCourt is incredible when he is on form. 

I expect Notts to sit back like they did against Crawley and hope to score on the break. I don't think that will work against a side as defensively organized as Luton. We would be better off taking the game to them IMO. Put them on the back foot. My prediction? 2-0 to the home side if we persist with the negative style adopted by JF. It won't trouble decent sides like Luton. 

It won't trouble any side in the football league let alone Luton. 

Good summary btw 😉

I think travelling fans will be hoping to see an early sign of positivity from our players, if we start slow - just make sure we keep in the game. When you let a side dominate it's just going to result in what we saw last Saturday.

I'm not feeling confident at the least but I do feel a few games into JF's reign, he will get a grasp of who can do what and when.

Hopefully we can just remain in the game, I would happily take a draw.

• Like 1

Supporter+
2 hours ago, Northants Pie said:

It won't trouble any side in the football league let alone Luton. 

Good summary btw 😉

Thank you. Keeps me occupied!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, notts-joe said:

For the draw to be achieved we have to defend like we haven't been able to all season, which won't happen

Therefore we need to create scoring opportunities of our own, which won't happen

For the draw to be achieved we have to defend like we haven't been able to all season, which won't happen

Therefore we need to create scoring opportunities of our own, which won't happen

I'm much more optimistic. Instead of "won't happen", how about "might happen if the sun rises in the west that morning"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends if the two CB's work together, one not going stray or leaving loads of room and the full backs giving support (as requires from the midfield).

For once, I hope any strikers remain up top where they belong.

Little confidence is to be found throughout the fan base.

We should expect a better performance, the result? I do not know. Fullarton will want to cut out the none sense. Approach the game sensibly, just pick a squad which would select itself and get them doing what they are paid to do.

Notts may ****** another away win.  

if we concede and allow them to make us look like school boys, i fear for our confidence.

the problem right now is we cant see a win, which means theres only pressure to defend. just keep in the game at all costs and plug a way at them!

Game 27 - The Hatters (A)

Team: Luton Town

Date: 30/01/16

Where: Kenilworth Road Stadium

What line-up should Jamie Fullarton opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Liam Noble must start but will probably be on the bench. Hewitt in the centre of defence, Adams will probably be upfront and making McLeod seem technically good. Just a sensible squad selection would be nice, one that is not defensive or the complete opposite. I am undecided if I will travel, I probably will but after last saturday I question if its worth the time.