Do you enjoy cooking?

Chris

I used to be a cook and, I have worked as a chef (although I was more assisting the main chef in the hotel) - I did technically make and help create the food from scratch.

It's something I enjoy but due to my knees, I can't really do it as much as I'd like and my wife has to assist with things as the pain is often that overbearing that I hate to bend. Yet I do bake when I can, I also love to make pizza's - I've pretty much nailed a in-between version of Pizza Hut and Domino's.

This got me thinking, what does PON members enjoy creating food wise and do you like cooking?

Discuss below...

Brilliant topic.   Since I took early retirement cooking has become one of my passions, in fact I now only allow my wife in the kitchen on pot-washing duties!  One of my specialities is a home made pizza, especially making the dough from scratch.  It's also much healthier than a takeaway pizza, because you know exactly what has gone into making it, and the topping is generous and evenly spread.  With a lot of supermarket pizzas, one person gets the ham, one the mushroom, one the onion and another nothing but cheese!  

When @super_pie came to see @GrannyPie and myself  today after school he made us Apple Crumble(with minimal help from me) He'd learnt how to make it at school and asked me a couple of weeks ago if he could make it for us.Very nice it was too.:goodjob:

Before I met my wife, my culinary expertise ran to fish finger sandwiches with brown sauce on! I must admit that now I can cook a Sunday Roast and bake cakes, but would still class myself as a rudimentary cook. My wife on the other hand is a trained chef (although not her career path anymore), so I am quite happy to let her do all of the prepping and I finish it off and serve.

Easy Sunday Chicken...Chicken from Aldi at £2.35, take a lemon, slice into pieces and slit the chicken skin, placing the lemon pieces under the skin, cook in a microwave bag from Morrisons, for 30 minutes in microwave...quick and easy Sunday Roast...just add vegetables steamed in microwave 

For winter, do a mean pearl barley, Quinoa , lentils with beef /lamb chopped stew...recommend Sainsburys Reduced Salt Yeast (Marmite) substitute

Piethagoram's cooking ratings consensus 10/10 :frantics:

I think TV shows have the habit of overcomplicating things, they do it to make things fancy - I'm aware there's now more focus on simple items but they still try to make things seem a task to complete.

Some of the best food that I have tried is the most straight forward to reproduce/create.

That said, I still can't manage to make stir fries as easy as the local takeaway does. It's something I really must try to nail down!

Cooking is some thing I love to do as a former chef of 17 years it’s played a massive part in my life. I love making thinks from scratch taking just raw ingredients and turning them in something is just amazing. I love cook beef or steak beautiful meat medium is fantastic in my opinion just with some veg and some potatoes fantastic. Burgers and pizzers are some thing  love doing them especially everything from scratch with my own toppings and burger toppings. I’ve tasted @Chris pizzas and they are good as dominos and Pizza Hut. I love simple fresh food you can’t beat it. 

• 3 weeks later...
Supporter+

I love cooking, me and the wife like curries and always cook a fresh curry on Friday night whilst slugging a glass of wine, they are much healthier than takeaways, we use Rick Steins "Taste of India" cook book, we decided to buy it after watching the TV series, his curry recipes are very good.

I love all the cooking programmes, Masterchef, Hairy Bikers, Rick Stein etc.,

Tonights dinner is Chicken Cacciatore, can't wait. :drool:

I made Chicken Chow Mein from scratch the other week, it was lovely. Myself and @cheeky~k8 aim to go all Chinese soon by making it again, although along with Chicken Balls, Egg Fried Rice and a few other dishes.

Plus I aim to make pizza again tomorrow, we had it earlier and we have voted to repeat it. Haha

Supporter+
5 hours ago, Lozzle1 said:

Got loads of lovely recipes...from Jamaican Curried Goat (Mutton, actually - from Asda), Rice, Peas; Sweet/Sour Chicken; Jerk Chicken; Paella - all for home cooking, if anyone would like them x

Stick ‘em in a post on the forum, I like the sound of all of them except sweet and sour chicken, I’m not all that keen on Chinese food.

I’ve been watching Masterchef tonight I’m blooming starving now. :biggrin:

Archived